Sorcery: Contested Realm

I’ve been waiting for someone to make a thread about Sorcery, the game from New Zeland, but it seems I’ll have to do it. Anyone else plan on collecting Sorcery and/or partcipated in the Kickstarter campaign?

I’ll share a couple of useful links, you’ll find interviews and intersting videos on youtube (e.g.: Alpha Investments, Team Covenant and TC, KitchenTableTCG and another, official channel)

Here the official site: Sorcery: Contested Realm There’s also a link to the official Discord and TTS.> Kickstarter campaign (eneded on April 4th 2022)

A nice fan site: Collectorarthouse It has images and interviews with the artists. There’s also a Collector’s Corner with the numbers and the offcial number for the Alpha print run of 29’000 boxes.

Deckbuilding tool: curiosa.io/ (edit may 26)

A quick description taken form the Kickstarter page:
Two players take the roles of Avatars, assemble their own decks, and then cast a variety of elemental spells, summon powerful minions, and shape the world around them from their Atlas to increase their dominance and ultimately banish their foe. Sorcery: Contested Realm is played on a 5 x 4 grid that represents “The Realm”, and each player increases their territory by playing cards from their customized Atlas Deck. These sites are in turn populated with minions to strategically defend your sites and attack those of your opponent. Each Avatar invokes the power of the four elements (Earth, Fire, Water, Wind) by playing cards from their Spellbook which contains elemental Spells, fantastical Minions, persistent Auras, and even rare Relics which can turn the tide of battle.

I love the artwork and the gameplay is interesting! The fact that it’s paintings is really interesting.

Just wanted to start a thread in case there’s someone else interested :grin:

2 Likes

I saw it when it first opened on kickstarter, honestly it reminds me of every TCG kickstarter going right now where all the backers are donating solely to get product to hold and flip, rather than people backing a game they have real interest in.

The art is nice, don’t get me wrong. But the fact pre-order KS boxes on eBay are already being scalped to high heaven when the game hasn’t even launched yet doesn’t sit well with me for the long term potential of this game.

6 Likes

I think this will always happen, it happens with Pokemon and Magic, so why wouldn’t it happen with a new game especially now that it’s the ‘‘norm’’. Probably every single kickstarter about a tcg will be labeled as ‘’ no one is interested, the y just want to flip it’'.

I’d like to steer the conversation about other aspects like the art or the way it’s played rather than the financial aspect bevause I fear it will inevitably end badly, sadly. Worst case scenario I’m left with something that I like anyway.

I like the art style and if Pomemon or Magic can copy and re-use it in their own style even better (like the cold foil cards or the peelable cards). Imagine the Munch Pokemon cards as a real oil painting ow how cold foiling could be used on pokemon cards.

1 Like

100%. I can’t keep up with them. This one just looks like another MTG knock off.

6 Likes

Looking through the card lists on the site right now and wow, my jaw is on the floor. Makes sense when looking through the artist roster which is just off the charts.

That “Elementalist” by Elvira Shakirova and of course everything Dan Seagrave…I’m very impressed.

1 Like

They got art from the estate of Frank Frazetta :eyes::eyes:

3 Likes

I ordered some of the pre-constructed decks to see if the game is any fun :blush:.
It has a nice old school feeling to it.

1 Like

I would love a game as good as Magic with enough people to play with that is made by pretty much any company except WotC. Honestly the Pokemon TCG gameplay doesn’t quite do it for me.

1 Like

The release is soon upon us, apparently boxes will start rolling out in September. I’m looking forward to see a few box openings on YT and maybe buy a few myself if the price comes down.

If only I had seen the Kickstarter earlier. Anyone here pledged anything?

1 Like

The boxes will be shipped in November, they released an announcement about 1 month ago and you can find it on their YouTube channel and on the Official Discord.

On the TeamCovenant YouTube channel you’ll find a video of a test box opening, the box was an old prototype (no foils, no specific order of the cards, and so on)

You’ll find useful links at the top of the thread

1 Like

Ah, I see. I should check it from time to time to keep up to date until the release.

Hope it is ok to revive this topic!

The release has been postponed but printing is almost done and I hope all kickstarter items will be shipped before the summer.

I’m excited to try the game and to collect a complete binder. Just look at the art people:

2 Likes

Most boxes have been shipped with many box opening video’s on YouTube.
As a European I’m expecting my boxes next week (last of all regions, sad).
Openings seem excited with a real old school Magic feeling.
A lot of speculation on prices of singles at the moment (foils very hard to pull with only <300 for unique foil cards in Alpha release).

Anyone else here excited for the game? If not I’ll let this thread die in peace :wink:

2 Likes

Yes! I should get my boxes this coming week too.
Can’t wait to open some packs and take a look at the playmats.

I’ll try to update the thread with all the new information of the last year since I created the thread, to create a database

3 Likes

For deck building and a list of all the cards https://curiosa.io/ us a great source

1 Like

I wish I knew about this when the Kickstarter was still running, the card art is absolutely incredible, and the fact it’s all hand painted is icing on the cake. It has that 90s fantasy vibe I can’t get enough of right now. I was watching people play the game and it looks pretty fun too. I’ll definitely be getting some decks at beta release, and despite my better judgement I’ve got a box of alpha coming next week.

Excited to see if it goes anywhere, hopefully the game is engaging and catches on.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! For play beta should be accessible, I hope they print enough.

It’s a big set to collect with over 400 cards but it seems that they only release one set per year so plenty of time. A challange but still fun.
Enjoy your journey!

2 Likes

Didn’t know that one set per year was the plan, that’s interesting! The set is massive so it makes sense, especially with the size they’re at and the amount of work it must have taken to fulfil their approach.

Hopefully I can find somewhere in London to play. You too!

1 Like

Love some of the art. Pretty cool they got Frazetta’s daughters to sign up some imagery rights too

2 Likes

Where did you read less than 300 copies of each foil from the kickstarter print? All I could find was this link about 300,000 total foil cards: Print Progress and Quality Assurance

1 Like