Singapore Pokemon Illustration Contest (Ends June 1st, 2020)

Hi all,

Was rummaging through instagram this morning and stumbled across information about Singapore’s Pokemon Illustration Contest.

No official word if the winners will be made into cards at all, just that the winners will collect their “prizes” at the Singapore Pokemon Center and that the art will be displayed there.

But guys, guys, guys.

One of the Pokemon that might be included is Gyarados.

But yeah! What do you think the chances are that it’ll be made into a TCG card? I know I’m probably jumping the gun but my sleepy brain just had to make a post.

5 Likes

Big fan of the art academy cards so im all for more :blush:

1 Like

Could someone provide some insight into the modern day illustration cards market?

I’ve been looking at the 2015 Pokemon Art Academy cards and on Ebay sold history they typically sell for 1000$ on a PSA 9 and some even higher into the 3000$ range given the popularity of the Pokemon or artwork. However, each winner was given 100 copies. So assuming they all graded 9 (no 8s or 10s) and sold for 1000$. Winning an illustration contest is winning a 100,000$ prize which seems to be very generous.

Edit: In the 2015 contest there was 21 winners so 2100 cards which is 2.1 million dollars valuation (assuming 1000$ average for each card). I suppose that’s reasonable for a billion dollar franchise such as Pokemon?

I think the chances are pretty low they will be made into TCG cards, although it certainly would be cool if they were. My reasoning for this, is that there aren’t any Singaporean cards (yet?), and seeing as the only cards made into physical Pokémon cards thus far were from the larger events, mainly in Japan, and some in other continents (Europe & Oceania as well as North & South America for the Art Academy cards for example), I doubt an event in just Singapore would result in actual cards. That’s just my 2c, though. I’d love to be proven wrong. :blush:

Your question does make me wonder how popular the Pokémon TCG is in Singapore, and whether we might see another new Pokémon language in the near future. Although I think people in Singapore speak a combination of English, Indonesian (Malay), and Chinese if I remember correctly, which all three are already available as TCG languages. Not sure if they have their own language or script?

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

@assassin5757, I don’t think the organization takes the PSA market into consideration when dishing out their prizes. I couldn’t speak much further on the market of Illustration cards however.

@quuador, I know Tagalog is also another language there from the Filipino community. Have a few friends in Singapore. None of them have made much mention of the TCG either. You’re probably right on the call that they wouldn’t implement it into a card but it would be a hell of a way of opening up the TCG in Singapore if they did. Prior to this, I didn’t even know that they had a Pokemon Center there.

2 Likes

The winners who sold off their copies in 2015/16 sold on average for much less than $1,000 each, that price takes into account 5 years of new demand. Some winners haven’t sold a single copy. So it’s difficult to put a dollar value on the prize.

I doubt Pokémon expected them to be worth so much, the cards from the prior contest (Arceus etc) are not worth nearly the same. But it’s not like they had to pay that much extra to print these vs any other card, the secondary market is out of their hands.

3 Likes

:wink: