Show three cards that are the "same" but different

Here is an original idea [1] where you can share three different variants you own of the same card. Can include but not limited to errors.

Buneary → misaligned black layer, crimp, minor miscut

1. shamelessly taken from instagram thanks @poke_rizz and @qwachansey ↩︎

19 Likes

18 Likes

Red dot error, black dot error, normal.

14 Likes

Posted only 3 on IG, but here’s the full flex :sunglasses:

30 Likes

Posted these before, but all three are among my best Pikachu misprints, so it’s cool they’re all three for the same card.

From left to right: inverted WB stamp; missing WB stamp; severe miscut.

Greetz,
Quuador

26 Likes

Base 1st Ed/Shadowless not as zoomed out as the other 2, and also slight variations in the colour compared to Unlimited/Legendary prints.

Japanese Jungle Wiggly has a more pink/rose hue. For English a different holo on the 1st Ed compared to Japanese & Base 2. Base 2 is also a slightly more pale/washed out pink hue to me, but it’s subtle. This seems to apply to many WOTC cards compared to Japanese in general, but also slight variations across the WOTC sets as well.

6 Likes

The squirtle difference doesn’t seem to be about zoom, the artwork seems to be taken slightly from a different place which is interesting, never noticed that!

1 Like

Wow! Close the thread. Stop the count. We have a winner. How have I not seen you post these before. Any of these would be a dream for my collection. I know they existed (not the dragonite miscut) but all together is so cool!

This sort of question is right up my alley but it’s actually very hard to come up with three cards that match this without thinking of errors, languages or set differences.

The best one that I can think of is Pikachu base shadowless yellow cheeks, red cheeks and the JP promo shadowless yellow cheeks. I am looking for these but don’t own them yet. :sweat_smile:

Base set unlimited gloss and cardstock differences would also be a good one. Expedition base holo, non-holo and the two reverses with set number differences could maby be count. Don’t have three of these either to show in pictures.

I will try and come up with more but will not be easy. :stuck_out_tongue: I do have starter and promo collections but these aren’t ideal I would say.

6 Likes

9 Likes

BW1 Black Collection 055/053 SR Reshiram
15th Anniversary Premium Set Reshiram
S8a 25th Anniversary Collection 020/025 Reshiram

SWSH12.5 Crown Zenith GG20/GG70 Ditto
S12a VSTAR Universe 187/172 AR Ditto
S12a VSTAR Universe S-P Jumbo Ditto

10 Likes

Just realized I forgot one since I keep my BGS cards in a different box. I have a second square cut coming in the mail as well :sunglasses:

10 Likes

This is the Base2 Psych Out deck, it has only 3 known versions.
First is most common from a deck display box barcode version WOC06155.
Second is slightly rarer from a hanging display case barcode version WOC06149, everything is the same on the box except the bottom item identifier and barcode.
Third is the most rare, a corrected variant that fixed the holo rare shown on the box so it actually corresponds to the deck found in the box barcode version WOC06155.
I dont believe any hangtab cases were made for the corrected printruns and I estimate less than 5% of the total amount of these decks are of this version (based on my market watching).

12 Likes

Each Jungle deck has 9 total variant boxes in English. No idea why so many but its the set with the most variant boxes, more than the 2-player starter deck at 7 known English variants.

1 Like

Here’s a few from my Yuka Morii collection;

Left - Original English set print from EX Dragon.
Middle - Variant print from the Latias half of EX Trainer Kit. Lacks the e-Reader Dot Code due to the e-Reader itself no longer being supported. Features product-specific set number and symbol.
Right - Variant print from later preconstructed product like EX Battle Stadium. Lacks the e-Reader Dot Code due to the e-Reader itself no longer being supported.

Left - Prerelease stamped variant distributed at EX Hidden Legends prerelease events.
Middle - Original English set print from EX Hidden Legends.
Right - Modernized reprint from Sun & Moon: Celestial Storm. Features updated typing and damage numbers in the Sun & Moon card frame.

Left - Original English set print from Diamond & Pearl: Mysterious Treasures.
Middle - Variant print from Burger King Collection 2008. Features reverse holographic mirror foiling and the Diamond & Pearl logo.
Right - Snowflake stamped variant from the 2008 Pokémon Countdown Calendar.

Left - Original English set print from XY: Primal Clash.
Middle - Variant prints from the Latios half of XY Trainer Kit: Latias & Latios. Feature product-specific set numbers and symbol. This product used set numbers to indicate deck order for a guided tutorial game, resulting in two uniquely numbered prints of the same card.
Right - Variant print from McDonald’s Collection 2015. Features holographic confetti foiling. Features product-specific set number and symbol.

I love variant prints, and it’s fun to have a collection with so many odd parallels. Prints from opposite halves of different preconstructed Latias & Latios products. Burger King and McDonald’s. Christmas and Halloween (in the Trick & Trade variant print of Yuka Morii’s Pumpkaboo). Speaking of Pumpkaboo, that Sword & Shield: Evolving Skies Pumpkaboo already has that XY: Primal Clash Skitty beat in number of variant prints; one from Trick or Trade, two from Play! Prize Pack Series One (non-Holo & Holo), and two upcoming 2022 World Championships Deck prints (joining Yuka Morii’s EX Hidden Legends Oddish and Bellossom in the World Championships club).

15 Likes

7 Likes

Very interesting, it’s possible that with every box difference there where also card design changes made. I have been trying to make some sort of timeline with the corrections I found so far but I’m sure there is allot I’m not aware of. It would be cool to link certain card changes to the different boxes but that won’t be an easy task. :sweat_smile: For the standard corrections there mostly are only two versions but with card design changes it’s possible to find allot more differences in certain sets.

There are some card design changes depending on the box (shadowless, unlimited, 1999-2000) but most sets box changes were just based on selling location rules (barcode, copyright, logo, country, etc). The base2 deck was changed probably due to possible complaints that the contents didnt match the box which may have been a legal issue.

There are some in which cards included had a more significant change like the ex battle stadium decks which removed the e series logo but kept the card design.

1 Like

Here’s some of my favorites.

Regular computer error, an error error and another error error.

16 Likes

Normally I don’t collect miscut errors but the irony of a large miscut error on a Computer Error card is one I would actually pay for :laughing:

1 Like