Can you show me some cool Pokemon Ink misprints or ink errors?

I imagine there are some cool Pokemon ink misprints / ink errors/ testing colors ? Feel free to share some cards you found interesting that had ink misprints either due to printer and it produced beautiful unique art card? It may even exponentially look better than the original card but is authentic?

While swirl patterns are amazing, they have their own thread so we won’t focus on amazing holofoil swirl and sparkly holo placement.

Idk but wanted to be the first to greet the legend dblast

1 Like

This is an additional yellow ink error. You can see the ink splatter in the holo pattern.

2 Likes

Hi

Show me some nice misprints or inks

6 Likes

Nice

Quote from my collection thread with my Pikachu ink misprints
And I also have some repeated Pikachu ink misprints

Unofficial Pikachu cards

Japanese Vending Machine Series 3 (Green):
The third Vending Machine set has two different versions: a dark and light print. The dark print came first on November 24th, 1998, which contained 52 out of 53 cards, only missing Imakuni?'s PC. A lighter print came later (not exactly when, but the Communication Evolution Campaign ran until April 30th, 1999, so the lighter print run was probably released slightly before that date), which also contained 52 out of 53 cards, with the Bill’s PC replaced with the Imakuni?'s PC. Here below both the dark and light Ooyama’s Pikachu from the set:

English Base Set:
Next we have the English Base Set, which actually contained quite a lot of repeating misprints, most of which are 1st edition stamp variations. The first variation are 3D stamps. For the English 1st edition Base Set yellow cheeks Pikachu, the 3D stamp version is actually the most common to find version. A 2D version for the yellow cheeks Pikachu is actually a lot harder to find.
3D refers to offset hollow letters for the “E” and “ITION” in the word “EDITION”, creating a 3D effect. Here below two English 1st edition Base Set yellow cheeks Pikachu cards, with the 2D version on the left and 3D on the right:

These outlines were most likely printed with the card, indicating where the 1st edition stamp was supposed to go. Judging by the many 3D versions of the yellow cheeks Pikachu, it didn’t worked out too well. In addition to that, some of these Pikachu cards with just the hollow letters “E” and “ITION” could be found in Shadowless ZAP! Theme Decks. This misprint is more commonly known as the ghost/phantom stamped Pikachu.

What also happened with a lot of English Base Set cards is that the blank ink of the 1st edition stamps was running low on ink, causing grey stamps instead of black stamps. For Pikachu, this only occurred on the English 1st edition Base Set yellow cheeks Base Set Pikachu. (It’s likely this can also occur on red cheeks Pikachu. It’s just a lot more rare, since I have yet to see a red cheeks Pikachu with a grey 1st edition stamp.)

What also happened sometimes with English 1st edition Base Set cards, is that the 1st edition stamp wasn’t properly dried yet before the uncut sheets were stacked, causing part of the ink to end up at the back of the sheet that’s on top of it. This caused a mirrored grey/black imprint of a 1st edition stamp on the back of the card. In some cases these back imprinted stamps were also white, although I have no idea what the reason for that is. These back imprinted stamp misprints only occurred on red cheeks Pikachu cards. Here both a grey/black and white back stamp (the fronts are exactly the same as a regular English 1st edition Base Set red cheeks Pikachu).

As you may (or may not) know, English 1st edition Base Set Holofoil Rares have two different variations of 1st edition stamps: thin and thick. This refers to the width of the “1”. All 1st edition cards after the Base Set, as well as all non-English Base Set cards, all have the thin 1st edition stamp variation. All non-Holo English 1st edition Base Set cards, and most of the Holofoil Rares, have the thick 1st edition stamp variation. It is however possible to find a 1st edition stamp which is somewhat in between the regular thin and thick stamp variations on non-Holo Base Set cards. This is a very rare occurrence, and I’ve only seen it around ten times thus far. I’ve only seen it once on a yellow cheeks Base Set Pikachu, which I’m happy to say I own (it’s also a 3D stamp like most yellow cheeks Pikachu, but let’s ignore that and focus on the width of the “1”):

I’ve also seen the red cheeks Pikachu with thin stamp two times thus far, but unfortunately I don’t own this variation yet.

And the final repeating misprint for English 1st edition Base Set Pikachu cards, isn’t related to the 1st edition stamp. This repeating ink misprint only occurs on English 1st edition Base Set red cheeks Pikachu cards, and is more commonly known as the ‘blue pube-achu’ misprint. This misprint has a very tiny blue ink dot near the border left of the Colorless Energy of the Gnaw attack, as well as a hair-like black ink misprint at the top-left border.
This variation was first discovered in February 2021 by @willyboy , and based on his searches he estimated roughly 5-10% of the English 1st edition Base Set red cheeks Pikachu will have this repeating misprint.

And the final English Base Set variation (that I have at least), is one with a thin black ink line going all the way through the copyright information at the bottom. I’ve only seen this misprint three times, which can all three be found in this video of TCA Gaming, one of which I bought soon after I saw that video.

Japanese Pokémon Card Trainers volume 1 Pikachu:
The next repeating misprint in chronological order is another Japanese card. The Pikachu promo that was included in the Pokémon Card Trainers magazine volume 1 on May 28th, 1999 can have a white ink circle at the top border, just above the last letter of Pikachu’s name. It’s not too uncommon to find, and I estimate about 20-25% of these Japanese Pikachu cards have this repeating misprint (this is just a guess based on how many times I’ve seen it; it could be more or less). Just like with the “d” edition Jungle Butterfree, an ink drop was probably stuck to the print rollers, creating this ink circle misprint at the same position on all the cards it affected.

English Gym Heroes:
Next we have another repeating misprint I’m unfortunately still missing. Just like the Base Set, other sets can have grey 1st edition stamps as well due to low ink. I’ve only seen this occur for the English Team Rocket, Gym Heroes and Neo Genesis sets thus far, although I’m still missing the Pikachu from the Gym Heroes set from August 14th, 2000.

English Neo Genesis:
As mentioned above, I’ve only seen the grey 1st edition misprint on English Gym Heroes and Neo Genesis sets outside of the English Base Set. Although I’m missing the Gym Heroes Pikachu, I do have the grey 1st edition stamp Pikachu from the Neo Genesis set of December 16th, 2000:

English XY Evolutions:
Next on November 2nd, 2016 we had the Evolutions set, containing a reprint of the Base Set Pikachu. Just like the original English Base Set, the English Evolutions set had a surprisingly high amount of errors. For the Pikachu, there are actually four different color variations when comparing it to the regular version. One is just a slightly darker shade of purple and not too noteworthy; one has too much blue ink causing the purple to become dark blue instead; one has too much red ink causing the purple to become maroon instead; and one is low on red ink, causing both the background and Pikachu to be a lot lighter. The last color variation only occurred on Reverse Holo versions of Pikachu, and the other three only on non-Holo versions. In the picture above we have both regular versions at the top, and the four error color variations below it.

English Team Up:
And the final repeating misprint for Pikachu occurred on the 33/181 Pikachu & Zekrom GX. On this error, the middle Lightning Energy symbol of the Full Blitz attack is grey, and it also has a line going through Pikachu just above the Full Blitz attack. This error would only occur on Pikachu & Zekrom GX cards that were in the Pikachu & Zekrom GX League Battle Deck of May 22nd, 2020.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Here’s one of my coolest ink errors :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s cool cgc added additional ink on label vs just error

1 Like

All of the new CGC labels are this way :slight_smile:

1 Like