Should I buy this rare Pikachu card?

The old sandpaper trick :ok_hand: copyright yours sincerely

3 Likes

What grit? Wonder if anyone has tried to pollish light scratches out of a holo. Lol

Sadly one guy took my advice :joy: I believe I suggested 180 grit

A pollishing paste might work. Kinda want to try it on a cheap holo.

If you want that card, offer him $150-200 tops. Refer to Surf’s PSA link for pricing. The last PSA 10 was $289 and his isn’t even graded.

www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/2005-pokemon-japanese-promo/victory-medal/auction/1110534

Nice find!

ACTUALLY, his is apparently PSA 10…meaning either the “10,000$” card he owns is exactly the same card you have linked, or it’s a different year victory medal, meaning the value should be even less (not to well-versed in victory medals so unsure about that)

What does POP 1 mean in megacon’s response?

Population 1. Only one that PSA has graded a 10.

There’s only 1 in the world that is graded a PSA 10. POP 1 means Population of 1.

That DOES NOT mean it’s worth 10k for the card though. Based on Chris B.'s post, it was last sold for like 280$~

@pikapipi The decision on how you spend your money is ultimately your choice. However there are plenty of rarer, more unique, and/or more established cards you can buy at 10k.

3 Likes

I will offer the seller $400 US when I see him in the club.

My thread makes me bring up another question. Which card is rarer: the 2005 Japanese Pikachu Gold Medal or the2005 Japanese Pikachu Victory Ring?

Maybe you should do some basic research before buying expensive cards

5 Likes

Rarer in what sense? If ‚rarer‘ means the card with the lesser amount of copies distributed I would say the 2005 Victory Medal. However the Victory Ring Pikachu is much more valuable. Why? Because the Victory Medal was reprinted in the years 2006 and 2007 and widely distributed. The only difference is the year in the copyright on the bottom.

2 Likes

Did we even confirm the year on it?

1 Like

There is a noticeable difference between the 2005 Victory Medal and the 2006/2007 Victory Medals. The difference is not just in the year, but also in the “space” at the top right. I have uploaded images of the three versions below.

The top one is 2005, the middle one 2006, and the bottom one 2007. The 2005 one is blank on the top right. In contrast, the 2006 and 2007 versions are exactly the same with a signature in the top right space. That signature might be the artist’s name; I am not sure about that. Hence, the 2005 one is much rarer than both the 2006/2007 Victory Medals and the Victory Ring. I have seen quite a l****ot of copies of the Victory Ring on ebay. There are currently two copies of the Victory Ring: a PSA 10 one for $5000 US and an ungraded one for $4200 US. I don’t know why the Victory Ring is more valuable even though the 2005 Victory Medal is rarerand came out in only that year**.**

Sorry I forgot about the layout difference.

But the top right corner is not he artists signature, it means ‚Trainer‘ in Japanese. You want to drop $10k on a pokemom card but don‘t even know that?..
It seems like you really want to buy it for $10k. Or maybe you actually own the card and want to sell it hence trying to justify the value? lol.
The Victory Ring Pikachu is more valuable as the artwork was exclusive and not reprinted.

4 Likes

There is a lot of fallacies that you made @pikapipi that would be resolved if you take more time researching into this hobby, or watch smpratte (scott)'s videos. He literally made a video about scarcity vs rarity (smpratte - Charizard Is Not The Rarest Pokemon Card - Rarity VS Scarcity - YouTube) and in many of his older videos he also mentions that the idea of having not much print of a card does not necessarily mean that the card would be expensive. Here are the reasons why your victory medal, is not as highly valued as you think you are (at least not at 10,000$):

1. The victory medals are confusing, and hard to pinpoint. Understanding the victory medals and how they are distributed is not easy, and the minor differences are not big enough to warrant significance in huge change in values. Yes, the 05 victory medal is different than the 06, but literally it is so subtle in regards to formatting and copyright years. That by itself is not something significant. Quite literally aside from a lower print run of the 05 victory medal, the most probable reason why the 05 would be worth more is because it’s the first print of this card, which makes it more desirable.

2. While historic prices for low volume cards don’t typically matter, a jump from 289$ to 10,000$ is frankly ridiculous no matter how you look at it, especially since there is NO population report for this card. The victory ring you mentioned has a pinpointed historical listing of each event and the estimated print run of 189. This concrete number helps the card a lot and while the 05 victory medal may have even less of a print run, the lack of knowledge about this makes this card less stable. You never know if some hobby store hoarded this card or forgot a case somewhere which would decimate the value of the 05 victory medal.

3. Again, pointing to the victory ring in regards to the prices, you have mentioned that one is listed for 5000$ and another for 4200$. That’s just listed price, and not the sold price, which is a lot lower based on historic reports. However, historic reports aside, just because there’s more listings on ebay doesn’t make it any more valuable than that victory medal. With an unknown population, it can also mean that people think that the card is not valuable enough to sell on ebay for the hassle. There’s two trainer no. 3 SSB trophy on ebay right now, one at 45k and one at 85k. So that means the population 1 of the victory medal should be worth 100k? Obviously not because there are clearly other criteria and qualities that define the value of a trophy card.

4. Most important point: I can literally get an almost identical victory medal card of a different year for like 9$ in BOTH English and Japanese versions for the next few years online, quite easily. Not only that, they were released all as a battle road promo, so the way of obtaining the cards were identical. The only difference was that the year of 05 was in Japan only and the print run ran short. Unless you are a die-hard 05 victory medal fan (or you are missing that in your collection), almost any casual trophy collector would just spend that 10$ to get an 06 copy of the almost identical card because in my opinion, a minor change in layout + a 05 copyright year is absolutely nothing that groundbreaking that I would be willing to pay a 10000% premium on that card. That’s even worse than those limited stamped promos…at least those you have a unique stamp.

1 Like

I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me regarding this card. Many thanks to ditto for your detailed clarification on the difference in value between the Victory Medal and the Victory Ring.

Even though I have been collecting Pokemon cards since 2010, I don’t know much about them. As I mentioned earlier, I have a very small collection of cards, no more than 350. The most expensive one I have is a 2009 Pichu Arceus Illustrator card ungraded. My main focus is on Pokemon toys.

In reply to poke-geri, I don’t understand Japanese, which explains why I didn’t know the text at the upper right corner meant trainer. Furthermore, I don’t own a Victory Medal.

All the input you guys gave me has convinced me not to spend 10k on the card. In one of my previous replies, I said I will offer the seller $400 US (or less).

I will make the offer later today and see how things turn out. I will let you know the result.

7 Likes

Don’t know why this guy would try to rip you off at 10k and then go all the way down to $200. I wouldn’t offer anything and listen to the members that already posted. If you really want this card, start a buy thread and someone can probably help you out

Today, I offered the seller $350 US for the card. He told me that he just sold it to one of my club members for $500 US. He didn’t lie about that. When I saw the buyer in the club, he was holding the card in his hands. That’s OK. I was not sad.

3 Likes