Any idea of price on the 20th anniversary gold pikachu?

Debating trying to trade mine up to something else, but need a rough price estimate.
Any recent sales data?
This one (the exact one in picture, actually):

3 Likes

@quuador

It’s amazing that even these “cards” are off centered.

6 Likes

Damn that’s already amazing. What would you even trade up to?

I LOVE GOLD!!!

1 Like

Apparently they are all very off center.

Probably some kind of trophy card.

1 Like

Im interested in trading for one. Hit me up with the approx value that you are looking for thanks!

I believe this was the last one to sell: page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p788151933. It sold BIN for the equivalent of $33,840 after being live for 3 days. To my knowledge this sold for at least $10k more than any others have sold for in the past.

My guess would be that these will be anywhere from $10,000 on a bad day to $35,000 on a really good day.

Card Rush is claiming to have sold one for 3,980,000 JPY as well (www.cardrush-pokemon.jp/product/14699), however I don’t know if these guys operate in a similar way to companies like Troll & Toad and alter prices of their sold stock.

1 Like

Wow more than I thought.
Thank you for this information, very helpful.

Didn’t knew about that 3.6M Japanese Yen sale. I know three copies sold for 8.5k, 9.5k and 9k respectively in 2019. I also know there are some Japanese webshops that BU them for 3M Japanese Yen, though (picture taken from another thread, so I don’t know from which shop this WTB list this is):

So, although I wish it was otherwise, I’d say with a bit of patience you should be able to get between 27.5k and 35k.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I paid 2000.00 for mine and that was way over gold value. Now you say someone paid 10k? Back then they were easy to get. People weren’t interested in paying so much.
There was a thread here on E4 about it somewhere I think?

@quuador @garyis2000 it’s a bit of a strange one for sure, especially as they were manufactured to match the number of orders (which themselves weren’t even limited to one per person). There could be anywhere from 1 to 1,000,000 of these yet I think its value is going up because they very rarely appear for sale.

You’re right. I could have bought as many as I wanted. They were unlimited. I guess I should have purchased more lol.

Supply and demand at work I guess. I paid 30-40 USD for some pre-ordered Pikachu cards in 2017/2018 that are 1-2k USD now as well. Pokémon in general has rose in price these past few years, and this year especially.

I can’t say anything about that 33k USD sale on YJ @pichufan linked. But I know at least the 8.5k and 9.5k sales in 2019 were legit, since I had made an offer to the sellers myself prior. And I also know one sold for 12.5k on a PWCC auction in the Summer of this year, but not sure anymore whether it was paid for (it probably was, though).

If I had to guess, I’d say between 75-250 of these were made. Definitely more than 1 and less than 1000. :wink: Back then 2k USD (or 2.5k with added middleman, shipping, and import fees for some) was a lot of money for a retail card. Yes, it is made of gold, but the gold value itself is minimal. When it was released, the gold value was ~350 USD, which would now be ~400 USD. Some people who could easily invest that kind of money bought it, and sold it later on. But most, like me, thought 2k+ retail was way too expensive for a single card.

At the time, my most expensive bought card was 300 USD and I had also just bought my first car, so I wasn’t willing to spend 2.5k USD (including fees) for a single card, even if it was the Base Set Pikachu and it was made of solid gold. Looking back, I should have known its value would never drop to below retail, but at the time it simply was too much money to spend on a single card, considering I still had 100+ Pikachu cards left to find as well. Now they’re worth 20k+ USD, so I doubt I’ll ever get it. Ah well, you win some you loose some, and I don’t regret my decision back then, even though I wish I bought five of these back then at the same time, haha. :relieved: Although that applies to A LOT of cards I wish I had bought tons of to sell now for a huge profit.

Best is to just look at the future, and use the past as knowledge. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happens in today’s market, where even modern cards are selling for hundreds of USD before they’re even properly released. I’m pretty sure that if the solid golden Base Set Pikachu would have released today, we’d see A LOT more people buying it. Maybe we’ll see a solid golden Base Set Charizard for the 25th anniversary? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

I think there’s 11g of gold used to make this card and gold is around 60 usd/g

Not to derail this thread, but there were also officially licensed Pokémon gold bars sold in Singapore to celebrate the year of the rat (2020). I bought some recently. Not quite as amazing as this card, but may be worth looking into.

Just looked them up and boy do I want some of those. They look great

I remember when 2k for a first edition zard was a lot…

The picture above shows that some shops in Japan are willing to pay $30k for an ungraded mint copy.