Shadowless Charizard PSA 5 vs Unlimited Charizard PSA 9

If you could only get one, which would you recommend assuming the shadowless (not 1st edition) is $50 more? Or neither, save money for a while and get something else (higher grade)?

i would save for atleast a unlimited 10 zard or a shadowless 8

1 Like

I’d rather have the shadowless PSA 5.

The shadowless version is so much more vibrant and colourful imo :blush:

2 Likes

Speaking based on the topic I always chose the older card over the grade when their price points are similar. So shadowless 5 always.

Speaking based on personal opinion I would wait and save some more money and go with a shadowless 9 over any psa unlimited. Reasoning because there are less prints of shadowless; we will eventually see a turning point where there will be more unlimited 10s over shadowless 9s by a good amount. Making the 9 older and rarer and more valuable and more than likely more wanted. There will always be those who want 10s over 9s but in the situation of base set older and rarer will always win in value.

Depends on what the 5 looks like. Is it creased? Is the front clean? 9s tend to be pretty consistent but there are a lot of ways to make a 5. If you go with the 5 make sure it appeals to you.

2 Likes

shadowless if it looks decent! Remember buy the card not grade!

1 Like

I’m a big Shadowless fan, but I would go with Unlimited 9. I say that because I don’t value the 5 anywhere close to the $250 or so people are asking. You can get a 7 for like $300 so it just doesn’t make sense to me. I would not be investing at that price. Maybe I’m cheap but I value a 5 at like $150 and I don’t see much growth potential.

I have a Shadowless Zard that is ungraded, it’s probably a 5 or 6 and I prefer my Unlimited 9 regardless of value. It’s also much more liquid. If you’re ever in a bad spot, that 9 can sell within 24 hours. The PSA 5 you will have to sit on for weeks if you want top dollar.

This is definitely a toss-up. I would say they are about equal. The Shadowless Zard is great because…well, it’s a Shadowless Zard. There will only be so many of them and a 5 isn’t terrible. The 9 unlimited is a pristine card that’s more common but also highly sought after.

Unlimited, it’s not vintage sports cards were a PSA 5 is still considered a high grade.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help everyone! I think I’m going to just save for a bit and get a higher grade shadowless/1st edition

1 Like

Good choice! :blush:
I have a PSA 8 Shadowless I might part with if you’re ever interested.

Shadowless in a higher grade than 5.

The shadowless is just a better looking card. It will also prob be worth slightly more at all times.
For your consideration, below is a shadowless card and an unlimited card, ungraded, so you can get a closer look at the differences in color and detail.

Shadowless

Unlimited

2 Likes

I’m glad they made the unlimited ugly, just like they put the white border on MTG unlimited cards. alpha and beta’s black will beat unlimited forever. black > white.

White grades a little easier than black or navy blue though :wink: Black does look better.

gary, watching your smpratte video right now. I always make sure I am sitting on a comfortable seat when I view those videos. such great value and entertainment. your recent appearances on youtube have been nothing short of delightful. maybe next year or so, I’d like to discuss buying into that partnership of cards :blush:.

Save for an unlimited 10 or ideally a shadowless 8 or up.

if money is tight and you can only buy a psa5 shadowless zard i would suggest not buying a psa card at all. i would bookmark the charizard search on ebay and check it regularly and look for cards that could get a 6+. its more risk but alot bigger reward for example i know a shadowless zard popped up a few days ago that looked like a 7 and was listed at £120.

same with the base unlimited the cost for a 9 to me is not worth it when you can buy raw copies for cheaper and grade urself and who knows you might hit the jackpot and get a 10 :stuck_out_tongue: i have personally never bought a graded zard and only ever bought raw copys for 30-40 each and i have a few 9s that would have cost me what 150+ each?

im also not saying its easy to fine raw copy’s in mint condition but if you check it enough you will soon find one you like :stuck_out_tongue: in the last few days ive bought 4 and the highest i paid was 59.99 (thats the most ive ever spent on a card) and i expect it to hit a 9 easy

good luck :blush:

I’d go for the shadowless! I’ve always liked the looks of shadowless over unlimited.

My name is the answer

6 Likes