Lower grade 1st ed or higher grade shadowless

Hello everyone.

I’m new to the forum and recently got back into collecting. Just finished base set through to gym challenge and just this week finished my ungraded shadowless set.

For my next goal I’m considering going after some lower psa graded 1st edition base set holo’s (graded 6 to 7) or going for higher graded shadowless, I’m thinking mainly 9s with a few 8s. The lure of the 1st edition is there for sure but unfortunately my budget wont allow for higher grades. On the other hand I think shadowless can be under rated and seems fairly affordable atm.

Just curios to see what you guys think would be best to go for and what the average price difference would be and therefore more affordable. There aren’t many lower graded 1st editions on Ebay atm so hard for me to gage. Also although I certainly wouldn’t be looking to sell anytime in the near future, it would be nice know what people with far more experience than me think would appreciate more in value.

Any input would be much appreciated :blush:

You’re probably better off buying 1st edition lower grades rather than higher grades in shadowless, but you should buy what you like. You could even consider going for non holo 1st edition cards they have room to grow as an investment too.

1 Like

Funny you should say that I just picked up 10 or so psa 10 1st edition commons, around £40 each which I thought was cheap, I’m sure you’ll correct me I’m wrong

It depends on the card usually the fan favorites pull the most. If you want to look at PSA prices you can play around with this site. www.pokemonprice.com

Great question and I have a terrific answer;)

Complete a PSA 7 1st Ed Base Set. 6s and less may have a big dent or crease. 7s won’t. You may get it completed for somewhere around 3000.00 and I see it as a good value buy too.

9 Likes

Thanks, 3000 does seem very reasonable, I thought the charizard alone be a big portion of that. Is that what you would advise trying to get 1st as it’s the most expensive?

Just to clarify, you mean a set of the 16 holos, right?

Right

1 Like

What would you consider the value on a 7 charizard alone? I’m looking for one and the cheapest on the market right now is $2000 I’m going to wait and see if anything pops up

Just wait for the next PWCC listing and you may get it for 1500.00 lol.

1 Like

That’s what I’m hoping for! There’s a PSA 8 and 4 9s on the next PWCC auction next month so far

1 Like

Looking to get started on buying some psa 7’s

What are your thoughts on this? I am by no means a expert but seems quite week (massively off centre and plenty of edgeware) is this to be expected when buying 7’s?

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133193112772

This one is indeed rather best up but I can assure that a ‘typical’ 7 most of the times look better than this one. I would let this one slide.

Thanks. I’ll give it a miss then.

3000 would be a steal I think @garyis2000,

I would expect every psa 7 holo is at least $100 on a bad day and charizard is very steady in commanding 2k at the moment, plus the blastoise and venusaur commanding a higher price than all the other holos. I don’t see 3k unless purchased raw or maybe in a full set auction.

On another note PSA 7 can have a pretty wide range by PSA standards sometimes. I usually prefer PSA 8 or higher, but at least a 7 should not have big dents or creases.

Personally, I define the typical PSA 7 as have minor edgewear with minor scratching or factory lines. All my 7’s look like this, but I have sen a few be worse than expected for a 7.

That 7 is a little more on the lower end, but no dents or creases. Hard to tell if the face has scratches, but that can be a positive for the card. I have seen worse personally, but the off center for the card is not great. Being off center I feel keeps a card from getting a high grade, but doesn’t factor so much when placing a lower grade like a 6 or 7. That’s just my opinion though.

Thanks for the input.

I’ll try to aim for 8’s where I can. Picked up an 8 magneton yesterday. As for 7’s I can’t find any under $150.

@sherbert13, You could always keep your nose to the ground for raw cards. A bit risky given fakes are a possibility, but usually the price is better if you factor in 10 bucks to grade.

Yeah thanks that’s a good point. Although I very rarely come across any ungraded ones that aren’t either beat up or ridiculously priced. Also costs me more to grade from UK (more like $15-20 depending on quantity of cards) and waiting 3/4 months can be a pain but patience is a virtue I guess.

Firstly Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Just thought I’d post an update. Quite fitting as it’s been almost exactly 1 year since registering on the forum and creating my 1st thread. I am pleased to say I have finally completed my collection goal of acquiring all psa 1st ed base holo’s. In the end I decided to purchase the highest grade I could afford at the time which resulted in three psa 8s, two 8.5s and the rest in psa 9. Thanks for everyone that posted and gave me advice :blush:

Funny looking back this time last year $1500-$2000 was the going rate for psa 7 1st ed zard, how times change!

19 Likes