Set of the Fortnight #6 - EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua

I hope you don’t mind I post this @milhouse ? It’s been about three months since #5 (instead of two weeks :wink: ). Feel free to post the next one in a couple of weeks again, or give me permission to continue if you prefer to (your call).

EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EX_Team_Magma_vs_Team_Aqua_(TCG)

Discuss:
Favorite cards in the set
Worst cards in the set
How you feel about this set in general

This set has been released on March 15th, 2004 in English. This was the first set to introduce dual-type Pokémon, and also continued the tradition of owner’s cards. In this set, as the name suggests, the theme revolves around the two opposing villainous groups Team Magma and Team Aqua.

13 Likes

My personal favorite is this Team Aqua’s Sharpedo:

The Dark blue and Black is really fitting for both the Pokémon and entire card. I was also very happy when I pulled this from my very first EX Team Aqua vs Team Magma booster pack, and it’s still been one of my favorite overall Pokémon cards in my collection.

It may not be the best Seviper artwork out there, but since Seviper is my favorite Pokémon, and how it’s wrapped around the Team Aqua logo, it’s also among my favorite cards of this set.

The pose is amazing for this Pokémon, and the fire really suits it as well.

I’ve only recently saw this card for the first time in someone’s collection. The majestic look on the icy mountain with that holo pattern looks pretty cool (pun intended). And I think it being a Dark type Pokémon with the black borders make the artwork stand out even more.

Although I like all three Carvanha artworks featured in this set, this one is my favorite. It really feels like they’re swimming toward the front-right at lightning speed; it won’t be long before the pictures Pokémon evolve into their torpedo evolution and are able to swim at even higher speeds.

As for least favorite I couldn’t really name any. Although I like the artworks in different variety, I do like all of them. If I had to name one, it would probably be this Team Aqua’s Corphish:

The way his claws are in front of his face it almost looks like a mustache. At least, that’s what I always thought when I saw this card - and I still do. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

I think this set was overlooked for a long time. I know when I was originally going for the ex sets I passed up on the first few sets. I never regretted it more than this set. Not only for how hard they were to find but how amazing the ex artwork was. Just look at the 3 legendary dogs. That suicune art is one of the best artworks ever. Someone please post a picture.

2 Likes

Hahaha the corpfish. Mustache style…

What i find cool about the corpfish card is that it looks very pokemon snap-esque. Almost like it could have been a snap taken from a sequel game.

2 Likes

I think other than making too many duplicates of pokemon in this set, it was very well done.
They made amazing Dual type artwork, which has never been the same after the EX series, (Legends were good but different.)
Threw in some Sugimori art of popular cards like Pikachu and Squirtle

I would have liked Team Aqua/Magma EX, but the regular Ex cards in this set have awesome artwork, so I can’t complain too much

Team Magma & Team Aqua is a unique set and very underrated I think. It kinda has a Team Rocket vibe into it and I like how the artwork shows well which team the Pokemon belongs into. I really like the reverse holo pattern on this set. One thing I find a bit strange is that they didn’t make Team Magma’s or Aquas ex cards.

Here are some of my favorites. The Squirtle card always puts a smile on my face, it’s so cute :blush: Originally being meiji promo it’s bit strange it was included in this set with a special theme, to be honest. And the Suicune ex card is one of the most beautiful original ex cards overall *-*

6 Likes

I did not really invested my time into this set (yet), but I looked at the cards and this houndour card really caught my eye. I 'm a dog person so of course I like houndour but it’s just a really nice angle. The walrein number 6 in the set just doesn’t do it for me, I guess I never really liked the guy (sorry to the walrein lovers out there).

p.s I hope the pictures are posted, I never posted pics before.

2 Likes

These artworks of the cards in the set are some of my earliest memories of Pokemon cards as a kid.
-I remember trading my Raikou ex for Entei ex with my best friend at the time
-I remember buying the Team magma theme deck

Best art:
-Absol 96/95, hands down that background is majestic!
-Suicune ex, god dayum notice that water reflection on the bottom right hand corner of the artwork!

This set is a strange one for me, I love the hand drawn arts in the set but for the 3d animated cards I think they look kind of bad because of how long the set come out and how far animation has come in that time but at the same time they really hit me in the nostalgic feels because this is one of the only ex series sets that i collected as a kid so I actually like them despite thinking they aren’t that great. I would post a pic of my favs but @xzini and @quuador beat me to each of them with the holo magma’s houndoom and the absol holo. Special mentions to the kyorge and groudon cards from this set too as they both look awesome!

2 Likes

The 3D artwork (except for the exs) are the in-game models for Colosseum/XD.

I’ve been looking for a set of suicune/entei/raikou for a while. Absol is amazing too.

Feel free to do these from now on if you want

1 Like

That corphish is reminiscent to the snap cards.

3 Likes

Thanks, will do then. :blush: If you still had any sets in mind, feel free to PM them. Then I will do those first before randomly picking sets myself.

Greetz,
Quuador

These 2 cards deserve to be mentioned as well :blush:

5 Likes

One of my favorite sets of all time! I might be a little nostalgia blind because this set was right around when I first started collecting. I believe this set is what opened a whole new world of collecting to young me. I didn’t know what “ex” meant at the time. I thought it was just a distinction of a new phase in the Pokemon TCG sets, like how Yu Gi Oh Duelist Kingdom and Battle City were different. Similar mechanics + rarity levels, just new Pokemon from the best generation.

One day, while opening a pack of Magma Aqua I saw a silvery boarder. A very confused child me pulled a Sceptile EX!

This was the first indication that there was a rarity beyond holo rare, and it got me hooked in a whole new way. This card made me way more motivated to collect. I loved the old school EX cards, and I wanted them all! (Spoiler alert, still don’t have then all) So, I contribute this set for helping me turn into the serious collector I am today.

(I really can’t make a post without some sort of nostalgic story, can I?)

Also, you guys are mentioning the beast EX cards, but you can’t forget the starters! To finish off the trio, here’s Swampert and Blaziken!

I really love the thick E-reader boarder on these cards. More sparkle = a good thing. Prefer these more than the EX Crystal guardians starter EX cards.

For their first appearance, duel types were handled very well, and a lot more successfully in this set than in later sets. (Cough cough Steam Siege) Side note, if anyone says that Steam Siege was the first set with Duel Types, I will fight you.

Here’s a duel type Grass and Dark Shiftry from Steam Siege

Here’s a duel type Grass and Dark Cacturne from Magma Aqua

Instead of the harsh division between grass and dark featured on Shiftry, the colors on the Cacturne are nicely blended together. This makes the card, in my eyes, much more appealing, a nice use of gradients and possibly light airbrushing a lot more successful than the harsh division. Also, the energy symbols blend together much nicer on Cacturne, where on Shiftry, the symbols are awkwardly stacked together and go out of the frame. 3rd gen duel types all the way.

My favorite cards from the set besides the starter EX cards are:

(Up there as one of my favorite Aggron cards. Aggron is one of my favorite Pokemon of all time, and I ADORE the use of orange and black in this card, works so well with the art! Also nice to see Aggron not printed as a steel type.)

(This card always comes to mind whenever I hear this set mentioned. This is the holo I pulled the most often as a kid. Once had three copies of it!)

(It’s an amazing Groudon card! What more can I say? I’m a Magma girl through and through, and a card featuring a giant magma lizard is too cool not mention. Not my favorite Groudon card, but still a good one!)

(Lots of energy in this render! Love Larion’s pose and how the light reflects off his metal armor. One of the most successful renders in the set in my opinion. Really feels like he’s part of the environment)

(Great use of Sugimori art with another element, unlike some cards where the Sugimori art is laid against a flat background with no depth. This card is saved from a lack of depth with the overlapping blossoms.)

(Beautiful art, Arita does it again!)

If I had to pick a least favorite, it would be this Sharpedo.

Card doesn’t feel like it really fits in its environment. So much more could have been done with the under water effect, but it feels pasted together without consideration. Sharpedo seems to be floating on top of the background, not a part of it. I wish the artist would have put a color overlay over shadpedo, or even a light effect bouncing off its skin.

There’s my two cents! LOVE this set!

-Pokesoap aka Madison S.

5 Likes

Cool initiative Quaador!

Quick question, are Japanese cards from the Japanese counterpart set allowed? cause these cards look far less impressive in the english version ;_;

6 Likes

Great set, my favorites are definitely Suicune ex and Absol holo.

These two are great also, like the Umbreon and Espeon posted above, this vaporeon was only a holofoil in the Japan set

3 Likes

I wonder why were those eeveelutions released in Sandstorm set in English? Sandstorm and Team Magma vs. Team Aqua after all have quite a big gap between their releases so that’s interesting.

I guess they do fit Sandstorm better as TMTA is a themed set and Dragon also doesn’t fit eevelutions that well. If you look at the English set list for TATM you can see there aren’t many non Magma or Aqua Pokemon. I guess that’s what they went for, to keep the set mainly focused on the two teams. These differences are interesting as today English and Japanese sets are much closer with releases so there aren’t many changes like this anymore.

1 Like

I think that’s why TMvTA is so unappealing.
It has many doubles, no real good evolution chains and many of the cards that are in the Japanese counter part are not in the English release.

Having 2x Aron is good for deck building, but a set with 95 cards and basically 10 doubles and missing uniques from the Japanese set really downvalues it.

Lots of amazing cards in this set…but the Suicune EX takes the cake. Seriously, it’s goddamn gorgeous :heart_eyes: