Set of the Fortnight #30 - XY Roaring Skies

I keep forgetting… It’s time for another Set of the Fortnight. I just picked a random from the list, so today it will be:

XY Roaring Skiesbulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Roaring_Skies_(TCG)

Discuss:
Favorite cards in the set
Worst cards in the set
How you feel about this set in general
This is the sixth set of the XY era. Not much can be said about this set in comparison to some of the previous sets. It continues with the Mega Pokémon and Dragon-type Pokémon, and mostly focuses on Mega Latios and Mega Rayquaza, and flying Pokémon in general.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Just browsed thought the artworks of the set, and this Natu Halve-Full Art is definitely my favorite:

I also really like this cute Victini card eating an apple (or Tomato or other berry?):

And I also like the two story pair of cards in this set:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Roaring Skies was such a roller coaster. A great example of how availability influences demand. Even though Shaymin EX had the typical out of rotation pitfall, I like what it represents. I also prefer the XY Full Art’s over Sun & Moon. They don’t have that horizontal shine like the SM FA’s. Here are a couple cards I remember from RS:

Not my favorite Pikachu, but it’s memorable.

Last but not least, thunder storm f5 hurricane M Rayquaza. This card had more lightening bolts than pokemon:

5 Likes

This one came out at a bad time in personal life and it’s probably one of my less favored sets of its era due to that. A lot of the Pokemon selection doesn’t do a whole lot for me either, and then when my few favorite Pokemon were chosen, they were given artwork that I don’t like (Dragonite ancient trait is a no for me). Still, my faves:

1 Like

This set has my favourite artwork for my favourite pokemon - Tropius. The artwork makes me nostalgic for the GBA days.
Speaking of this card if anyone has a mint condition (reverse or normal) pm me, desperately wanting it in a psa 10 :blush:

2 Likes

Ah Roaring Skies… I actually like this set a lot. It might be because I’m quite biased towards Rayquaza and Salamence :grin: I got so excited about the set back in the day when it was announced. So excited that it made my buy my first ever Japanese booster box and I really don’t regret that. XY7 box was my first Japanese booster box purchase and I’ve leaned towards buying a box of new Japanese sets since.

The Japanese set also came with come promotional cards on them and collecting certain amount of certain kind of card and sending it to Pokemon in Japan you were rewarded a Shiny Rayquaza EX Promo. A Finn who I knew from a Finnish Pokemon forum told me that a guy in UPCCC forum would middle man those cards in to trade for Promos. That guy was Japanime and that’s how I actually joined this forum! :grin: So yes, Roaring Skies, or more correctly, it’s Japanese variant Emerald Break, made me join E4.

Now when it comes to my favorite cards of the set, this one has to be the number one. I guess you can kinda tell this is my favorite normal EX-card from XY-era :grin:

I love the Dragon type M Rayquaza EX card as well which Scott posted above.

Other favorites to mention:

5 Likes

@xzini took my breath away. Came in to post that Rayquaza, also my favorite normal EX card! Didn’t know about all the variants though, I’ll have to check out the Pokemon Center one.

I’ll just leave a giant picture of that artwork here.

3 Likes