Set of the Fortnight #43 - Fates Collide

Time for another random pick from the remaining sets. This time the random picker choose Fates Collide.

Fates Collide
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fates_Collide_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the setWorst cards in the setHow you feel about this set in general
The Fates Collide set is the eleventh XY era English set, released on May 2nd, 2016. This set centers mostly around Alakazam, and also features various forms of Zygarde, making their debut to the Pokémon TCG in this set. This set contains 3 Mega Evolution Pokémon; 5 Pokémon BREAK cards; 13 new Pokémon-EX; and a total of 125 cards excluding Reverse Holos.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Some of my favorite artworks of this set include:

I also like the concept of the Chaos Tower card, having to read it both as is and upside down:

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

I love the Umbreon full art. I ordered two because first one was damaged. My other one is a 9/10 candidate :blush:

@quuador The Alakazam secret rare you posted above is another one of my favorites! I love the Pokemon in the backround especially Umbreon. I also love all the other secret rares with the same design from the other X and Y era sets!

2 Likes

Some of my favorites

Moltres, both prints

Team Rocket’s Handiwork

fire bender Delphox

city ruins Omastar (kinda curious how the street lights still work)

5 Likes

Haven’t taken to the time to look into this set so I havent seen the glaceon ex before but wow, an ex card I actually really like. This is what EX/GXs could look like if they werent all cg garbage. Also most of the ex full arts look pretty cool especially the umbreon

2 Likes

Here a post I made before

3 Likes

@alakazamthat this card is crazy. If there was a card with Alakazam, Lugia, and Umbreon on it back in the day… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

First off, I’m a sucker for any set/s that try to implement a coherent theme, story, and or setting throughout it’s cards. So, I really dig the direction they took with Fates Collide. I think it’s interesting to point out how they even provided foreshadowing in previous sets to “storylines” in some cards, for example:

Chikorita (BreakPoint)

Fennekin (Fates Collide)

(Sort of up to interpretation):
A lonely Chikorita either separated or looking for companionship is able to meet and befriend another pokemon through the series of events between BreakPoint and Fates Collide, that is such a cool little “easter egg” to me!
:laughing:

-Steven

2 Likes

Also, aside from the cards that were previously shared (which I really dig), I wanted to point out one of my favorite illustrator’s works from this set:

White Kyurem (Fates Collide, Illustrated by Kawayoo)

Kawayoo’s artwork always seem to have plenty of shading to the pokemon depicted in his cards, it adds a lot of depth to the figures and makes them stand out unlike a lot of other artist’s modern work. White Kyurem looks and “feels” like it has a lot of weight to it with it’s stance and the icy cold wind that settling in it’s wake adds a lot of building tension to his illustration. Kyurem looks very defensive and hostile towards it’s surroundings, as if a someone or something provoked it in it’s own territory and is awaiting it’s wrath…
:open_mouth:

Anyway, that’s enough rambling. I really like it, alright?

-Steven

3 Likes

People love to hate on fates collide, but it was the first set since 1999 I could not get enough of! Now I have opened so much of it that I never wanna see a pack of this again, but I can still really enjoy some of the artwork in the set

1 Like

I’m a fan of these kind of cards as well. Or just cards that are connected somehow in general. :grin:

@cracker compiled almost all of them within the spoiler in this post (only the Rotom I posted a few posts after that is missing).

If I didn’t already had a hard time keeping up with my Pikachu collection alone, let along some of my other side collections, I would have collected all those cards. Too many amazing things too collect, and not enough money/time. :sob:

Greetz,
Quuador