Set of the Fortnight #11 - Gym Challenge

This time it’s from the earliest era again (Wizards of the Coast):

Gym Challenge
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gym_Challenge_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the setWorst cards in the setHow you feel about this set in general
Was doubting whether to choose Gym Heroes or Gym Challenge, but since I personally like Gym Challenge a tiny bit more, I decided doing this one first. Gym Challenge is released in English on October 16th, 2000. Both Gym sets mainly contain artworks from Ken Sugimori.
Gym Challenge focuses on the Gym Leaders Koga, Sabrina, Blaine and Giovanni. Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge were also the first set since the original Base Set (excluding reprints) to contain all six basic Energy cards again.

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

I actually like almost the entire set. The colors are very vibrant, en Ken Sugimori’s artworks are great overall. But if I have to pick some favorites:

And the best of course: Nude Misty! rofl :laughing: I actually like the English version next to it much more tbh…

As for least favorite I can’t really name any tbh… Except maybe some of those City Gym Trainer cards…

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

This is a hard one Quuador!

I never got into Gym Challenge and Gym Heroes and due to this I have a hard time determining which cards belong to which set. I really should look more into this set because somehow I always think it’s past Neo Genesis and therefore 2nd Gen and that’s not my thing at all.

Never the less, I got some favourite cards in this set which surprisingly are not Bulbasaurs! I am really disappointed with the Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur art work in Gym compared to Base and promo cards from same era.

Always thought this was an amazing card. There is so much motion in Machamp it really looks like he’s rushing to you.

This is just one of the best art works of Gyarados and really outshines the Base Set card and many cards after it.

'nuff said

Not my favourite artwork by far, but it’s an unique one.

And some other artwork I just love!

And these lovely things! (cheating a bit!)

And of course

Because Misty is :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

With this set it will be difficult to find a bad illustration imo. Each card leaves such a strong impression.

4 Likes

Yup i agree two fantastic sets, i love that they dropped the non holo rares in these sets and instead added a unique rare artwork that makes these already big sets feel even bigger.

I honestly don’t dislike any of the cards in these sets and even the Trainer cards have funny (blaine’s quizzes) cute (erika’s) and cool artworks that just scream alot of thought and thinking went into these, i’ve cherished my sets ever since i got them.

I really wish they’d release a set of this caliber again.

2 Likes

This set is yet another one WOTC classic. I’ve only opened Japanese booster packs of this set but it still gives me some nice memories.

For example I used to like this Meowth as a lot as a kid. I don’t know why but I remember trading one from my friend back in the day and being happy about it. Such a basic but nostalgic artwork of Meowth. :blush: Oh and those attack names… :grin:

I have to say today, this Nidoking is my number 1 favorite card from this set. Nidoking is one of my favorite Pokemon from Gen 1 and I think this pose looks awesome. It’s the nostalgic Sugimori style, but it also makes Nidoking look fierce. So cool. Don’t mess with him!

And some honorable mentions next :blush: I try not to post cards that have already been posted.

3 Likes

I agree :grin:
If I have to pick some favourites:

My favourite one is this bada** (more bada** than Lee’s brother in Rush Hour 3) :

2 Likes

I just bought a gym challenge booster, my first ever booster box! So this has been a great post. I love the artwork on some of these but I reckon Sabrina’s Gengar takes the cake. Symmetrical, tough, and the colouring looks fantastic, especially the lighter and darker tones on Gengar and the contrast of his red eyes.

1 Like

Yea! I forgot about him!

Both Gym sets were a major turn-off to me at age 12 for two main reasons: 1) every Pokemon had been made into card form at this point, so the Gym sets felt like pointless filler because of that (lol at this thought in hindsight, 70+ expansion sets later); and 2) way too much of the artwork was just stock Sugimori art slapped onto some clip art backgrounds that an intern made.

Nonetheless, there are some fun cards to be found, and probably the record for cards that had altered art for English release. This is my favorite artwork:

Tangela the hair stylist, yas :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Definitely the MVPs of this set.

4 Likes

I think Trainer Pokemon cards are very iconic from these sets. Sure in later expansions they did similar releases but these will never be topped.

1 Like

This is my problem with the set as well. I really like the Nidoking, Misty’s Gyarados and Sabrina’s Gengar the best because you can’t see the generic backgrounds.

These backrounds clash harshly with Ken’s style:

Or there’s just too much empty space in the image and they look like their floating.

It feels rushed and lazy because we’ve seen it done before and it was fine. Base, Jungle Fossil all have this style of Ken Sugimori illustrations but they don’t feel as awkward.

This is kinda funny.
Scott and the guys did their first Podcast recording during Worlds, was released yesterday on Youtube and they said the exact same thing. Gym having less interesting art work due to it just being stock art slapped on a background.

This stock art work is good to start with, but many cards like Venusaur and Gengar (the graveyard one from Heroes) are put so off-center that the image is only filled for like 30% with the Pokémon. The rest is holofoil where you can hardly see the background image.

1 Like

I feel Gym Challenge is really solid WOTC set and tbh. there aren’t really any bad cards. Favourite cards have to be Erika’s Venusaur, Misty’s Gyarados ( as mentioned many times before ) and Rocket’s Mewtwo, the smaller artwork window is really funny addition. :blush:

2 Likes

I remember a friend bought a couple packs during release and pulled the Rocket’s Mewtwo. We were freaking out because it had 3 attacks, and also because it was the 2nd mewtwo card.

Some of my first japanese cards were Sabrina’s Kadabra and Kogas Beedrill:

Blaine’s Arcanine was probably the most popular card during release. People were losing their mind over the 120 attack, even though it wasn’t that playable.

Overall Gym Challenge in English is such a stacked set. The fact that there are 2 Gyarados holo cards, one taken from the Gym 1 release in Japanese, is just nuts.

4 Likes

TIL the arcanine has a attack that does 120, i never noticed this before lmao.

what i really dislike about that fancy 3 attack Mewtwo is that they made the art-box smaller to fit the text on that card so he looks really cropped into it… and barely fits, really awkward.

1 Like

Nice set. Glad I picked it up 10 years ago.

I’m quite fond of the art of this Nidoqueen. The background however is a travesty. This could have been really good with a bit of work I think. Maybe put holo on it.

Solid Muk card. Have grown to like Muk in the last year.

3 Likes

Hands down one of my favourite sets!!! So many awesome artworks IMO and I like the holo trainer cards :blush: