Selling to 0 feedback buyers

In cases where the account was made this year and they have 0 feedback, I will be very suspicious. However, I have an offer from someone who has 0 feedback over the past 12 months but the account was made in 2013. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

Depends on the value. If it’s too valuable, I honestly wouldn’t bother.

Buying old aged eBay accounts is cheap and easy.

Depends on the item (like boosterpacks vs psa) and value imo. However, the fact that they have no feedback over the last 12 months does not mean that they aren’t trustworthy. I know multiple collectors who prefer to buy locally or through other platforms (eg facebook groups) before buying from Ebay.

Everyone starts at 0, so you have to remember not everyone who has 0 feedback is out to scam you. I would say if you are looking to sell a high end item and want to minimize risk to wait for a highly rated buyer, but for most cards/products that aren’t on the steep high end it’s no issue. I’ve sold multiple cards to 0-5 feedback buyers without problems.

5 Likes

Two of my biggest sales were to a 0 feedbacker. Spoke for a little before sale went through, but went smooth as butter. Now one the guys collection tops mine and many others.
But always trust your gut

3 Likes

Just send a message to the guy and ask for additional contacts and references. I have closed some of my biggest sales with 0 feedback buyers. They specifically made an account to buy my item from a country where eBay is not as popular i.e. Japan. If they’re serious about it they will be more than welcome to accomodate your requests.

If it’s a high amount sale, I would message them to let them know you appreciate the purchase and will be getting it packed up. If they respond your likely going to be okay. My biggest Pokémon sale this year was to a 0 feedback buyer.

Does he have old feedback?

My account is from 2002 but I didn’t buy or sell a single item in 2017 so I had a “0” technically as well despite near 1000 feedbacks altogether until I actively got back in in 2018

1 Like

I agree that you should reach out. I’ve asked sellers and buyers with low feedback to send even a timestamped picture next to their item or next to an ID or something of that sort. If they’re legit they’ll be more than happy to send a selfie or something easy that verifies them to some degree of comfort.

With the older accounts that have no recent activity I’ve seen some scammers buy or maybe they hack into old inactive accounts with high feedback scores, but years of inactivity. Then they bid on your lots and go for the scams. Just food for thought. :blush:

There are many honest and genuine people in the world that simply don’t have any feedback on eBay. A little under 10% of my sales go to 0 feedback buyers and I’ve never had a problem.

Scammers are few and far between. Fulfill your duty as a seller and CYA in every area to be covered under eBay seller protection.

We all had 0 feedback once.

I had a 2 year old account with 0 feedback.
I’ve started using it last month buying cards 10$ and up. Not a single seller had any issues with it. Honestly, the only issue thus far with this account is one UK based seller (like 6k feedback) claiming he shipping from the UK, but it’s clearly AliExpress drop ship and he trying to keep me in the loop of “I will send new one tomorrow first thing in the morning”. So INR claim is open to him (sorry, UK → NL doesn’t take 30 days, not even with slow and janky Royal Mail).

And it’s something I keep saying here, same as @pichufan says, we all started at 0. I also chant this on r/eBay , stop being dicks to new eBay sellers and buyers.

Not everybody is a scammer, and scammers moved to Facebook Groups and Instagrams because it’s a lot easier their to get free money, sell fake cards and do anything with zero feedback.

[edit] To clarify why I have this account, I use(d) it to search eBay for items (competitive prices) and being that ass hole that watches an items and never buying it) without having my Recent Viewed Items on my primary account being littered with stuff.

It’s hit and miss. I think @zubat93, was right to think twice if your item is pretty valuable. I have sold three items in the last month to 0-10 score buyers. (1) was never paid for, the second was no problem at all, and the last the guy made it a huge pain in the ass by threatening me if I didn’t accept a return because I am a POS. I always agree return an item as I know some people jump out of their pay scale sometimes, so I was caught off guard when he started it so hostile.

To reiterate, I think it is worth a little less profit to have a trusted buyer. My personal opinion. :blush:

Personally, I get a bit suspicious of large purchases from accounts with zero feedback. eBay has been around for 25 years, and you literally don’t have a single feedback on the platform? Even if you’re just an occasional buyer, you’ll naturally have accumulated some feedback since many sellers automatically give feedback. Of course, everyone starts somewhere, but someone brand new to eBay in 2020 doesn’t just start off with a 4 or 5 figure purchase…

1 Like

Really depends on where you’re living. I’ve never bought from Ebay, until I started collecting again in 2019. A different platform is used by the vast majority of people in my country. I agree though that buying a 4/5 figure item with a brand new account would look suspicious.

That’s fair; but still, I’m going to assume that your first eBay purchase wasn’t an ultra high-value item? No one who has never used eBay before just decides to place a $10k order out of the blue. That sort of purchase, if it’s Pokemon-related, is made by someone with someone with an extensive collecting history. Of course, I wouldn’t have an issue selling a $5 item to someone with 0 feedback.

2 Likes

My selling account would have had 10k+ feedback now if eBay wouldn’t had changed their system years ago. So, feedback is just whatever eBay decides with it.

Won’t take long for them to only give you feedback for purchases/sales in past X months and than slowly decline over time back to 0.

I think I’ve blocked 0 feedback users on eBay from bidding or buying my items, and it’s set to 3 feedback or above.

I don’t even check people’s feedback. If their money clears I’ll ship it out. Haven’t had issues. 0 feedback people are more prone to not paying, that’s about the only difference.

3 Likes

I’ve sold $1000+ items to zero feedback buyers a handful of times, never had any issues.