Risky to sell to eBay buyer with little feedback?

Hi all,

Quick question, basically what the title says. I have a moderately expensive card listed on eBay for OBO (sells in the 800-1000 range). I received a reasonable offer from a buyer, but looking at their profile it seems like they have 0 feedback in the last 12 months (100% positive from 10 transactions total, but all of them were over a year ago).

I’m aware that selling to buyers with 0 feedback is generally risky/a no-go, but I wasn’t sure if the same approach should be taken for buyers who have no recent feedback, but do have positive feedback from a while ago. Just seems suspicious to me to have an account for 5+ years, have no activity for 4 of those years, and then suddenly send an offer for an expensive card.

Maybe I’m just overthinking it and it would be ok when adding insurance/signature required to the package, but I can’t help but feel skeptical about anyone with little feedback/recent activity and the potential to be scammed out of the card/money somehow, even with having insurance/signature on it.

Thoughts?

They don’t have 0 feedback if they have 10 positive from over a year ago.

I just sold a psa 10 unl base holo to a brand new 0 feedback account—I was a little nervous, but they received and left positive feedback. Did it again recently for a psa 9 to brand new account, totally fine. Surprisingly many honest people create new accounts for graded cards of high value, which isn’t what you’d expect.

But in your case, there’s little to nothing to worry about. I’d do it.

3 Likes

Maybe they saved up to buy an expensive card, that’s what I do.

You could have tried to vet the buyer when sending a counter-offer but I woudn’t worry about it.

1 Like

In my experience there’s no real way to predict how a buyer’s going to behave, regardless of the amount of eBay feedback. If the offer sounds reasonable to you I’d just take it.

2 Likes

I made an eBay account 8 years ago to buy a few computer parts that I needed. The next time I used it was a couple years later when I sold some Yugioh cards and then I started using it more frequently for buying/selling about a year ago when I got back into card collecting. So I had a two year gap where I didn’t use my account and then another 5 year gap soon after. You’ll never know why buyers have these gaps but I think more often than not it’s a reason similar to mine.

4 Likes

@brendantheclayboy,@islandcollector,@jyscal,@ascendedbidoof,

Thanks for all the input! Seems I may have been overthinking it after all then. I’ll send them the counter I had in mind and see how it goes.

4 Likes

Over $750 just always be sure to use signature tracking and then you’ll qualify for seller protection. I’ve sold to several hundreds maybe low thousands of low and zero feedback buyers by now. Need to keep in mind not everyone uses eBay daily/weekly like us lol.

10 Likes

I tend to find 0 feedback sales are some of the smoothest transactions going. Instant payment and zero hassle. :blush:

AT.

2 Likes

This is entirely anecdotal and may just be specific to me, but I’ve had more issues with buyers with significant feedback scores than buyers with low feedback scores.

1 Like

As most have stated here already, the risk is what it is. Factually, Id probably say that the risk between 0 feedback and lots of feedback is the same being that feedback doesnt correlate to a bad buyer, but instead those experiences are just rare occurrences that could happen in any instance.

This being said, I remember selling a 1.2k item to a 3 feedback buyer once and immediately was nervous. I packaged the item, even took a video in doing so for “evidence” just incase the buyer tried to do anything to me (which prob wouldnt have mattered anyway if they charged back) and nothing happened. I got my money, guy was happy and left feedback, and all was well in the world. Everyone starts somewhere and not all buyers have such large feedback counts, so just proceed with that knowledge and hope for the best. Most buyers id like to think are actually good buyers in the grand scheme of things.

1 Like

Everyone starts at 0 right? The amount of new buyers on ebay who are genuinely looking to purchase items far outweigh the amount of new accounts looking to scam.

3 Likes

I’ll second this, but also here to appreciate the gloriousness that is your profile picture and signature. All hail the great god, Bidoof.

2 Likes

On top of the signature thing, for high-value items with low-feedback buyers I exchange 1-2 messages before sending, you can get a feel if something is off. Just a brief “hey since it’s high value I wanted to check in with you that you did in fact make the purchase with your own account, I am ready to ship the item as soon as I get a brief confirmation”.

2 Likes