Seller question for everybody.

Lol…that mst have realy hurt Drew.
Got any more of those sets;)

I think in an ethical situation, the seller is responsible and should sell the card in good faith. As a buyer has all responsibilities to read the full description of an item before purchasing it, a seller has all the responsibilities to create a knowledgeable listing before selling it.

So yes, over all in terms of ethics and in good faith of a hard lesson learned, the seller should sell that card if the item was already purchased. Granted I would think there would be some ethical consideration to forgiving someone if they pointed out their mistake and realized it was a huge loss. I had a situation where I bought an item for around 5 USD when it was meant to be listed as 50 USD. After I purchased the item, the seller contacted me about their mistake. We reached an agreement, I bought it for 50% off in good faith and gave a good review.

However, the buyer is not at fault here, the seller is.

If the seller were to cancel the purchase, they must understand that they are generally not doing the most ethical thing, but are doing probably the most UNDERSTANDING thing by taking the hit of a negative view.

But yes, the seller should sell the card, but they should also contact the buyer to see if a deal or forgiveness can be met. At the same time, however, it would be completely understandable, but not ethical (unless you were really hurting for needed funds, I’d argue), to cancel the purchase.

2 Likes

Hard to justify selling it when most people (e.g. the buyer) would not have done the same.

That said, I would likely acquiesce and sell the card if no other agreement could be made. Kinda depends how the buyer acts to me as well. I’d be a lot more receptive to: “Hey, I understand you don’t have to sell this.” as opposed to “I WANT IT YESTERDAY I PAID FOR A *SERVICE*.”

As much as I hate to say it, the seller is most likely responsible for going through with the sale. That being said this is an extreme example! I’ve been blown off by irresponsible sellers who list auctions without a reserve and then refuse to sell at the end because the price was low. It is just bad business. These are the type of people that don’t make it in the long run. Learn how to sell, or don’t sell.
Anyways, in this case the buyer is taking advantage of the sellers mistake. It’s not ethical but follows ebay rules. I sure wouldn’t hold it against you if you cancelled the sale. This is just a messed up situation.

What is your reputation worth?

1 Like

Doesn’t eBay allow you to cancel a sale/listing if there is an error in the list price?

Yes.

I’m thinking thats more geared towards accidentally putting up a price of $50 instead of $500, and not to be used on listings where you’ve consciously entered the amount you want for the card and find out its worth more after the sale is done.

pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

Interesting to turn it around.

What if the seller lists a card auction style starting at .99 on a PSA mis label “See picture to see exactly what your bidding on.” And two people bid it up based on the label.

The bidder pays.

Now the bidder realizes it’s a mislabel and wants a refund.

The seller says the bid is a contract and he never claimed it was anything besides what was pictured.

Should the buyer take the loss?

Is this one of those “lessons learned” moments too? Lol

If the seller knew it was a mislabel that extreme then that’s almost as bad as putting a card in a makeshift case whacked together with super glue lol. Good example of how PSA mishap can really screw people around however!

I changed it a little;)

Seller didn’t know and it was AUCTION style hehe. Two bidders bid it up to 5000.00.

Now what?

If its anything like the card that is in question (unable to be confirmed what version it is in the psa case) and it was stated that “you are bidding on the exact item as pictured” i would definatly not scratch it up as a lesson learnt and would take it further. Unless it was stated somewhere that is a was PSA mistake. Cant really straight out miss lead someone and then expect a happy, easy payment haha

The seller didn’t “straight out mislead”. The seller listed a card auction style for .99 and stated you are bidding on the card pictured. The bidders bid it up to 5000.00, won, and paid.

1 Like

In the situation that i had a card that the PSA case stated what it was and as far as the naked eye could tell through the case it did indeed look like that card and i held an auction only saying that what you are bidding on is the card as pictured… Then, bids gets made and it sells for 5000.00 and then the buyer realizes (from visually inspecting or however) that it is not the card as the case states surely PSA could step in and if the buyer can provide invoices, etc then they could offer some kind of repayment to the buyer? Because if the original seller wasn’t aware then surely someone would need to be held accountable. Well that’s atleast how i would feel about it haha.

3 Likes

Very interesting change up. I like the idea that PSA should be held accountable for their mistakes however I doubt they are going to fork out 5k to someone who payed for that mistake.

1 Like

I’m waiting for some of the heavyweights to weigh in before I jump in with something interesting:)

If I understand correctly, you are saying that the PSA label is incorrect, and the buyer thought he or she was getting a valuable card when in fact it wasn’t so valuable?

If that’s the case, then the buyer has a legitimate complaint and absolutely deserves to have their money back.

But if the seller makes the mistake and doesn’t notice until after the 100.00 payment that it’s a 5000.00 card he should just accept the 5000.00 loss and ship it?

Could it work both ways? :wink:

1 Like

if the deal has been done and payment has been accepted then theoretically yes. I suppose one difference is that in your example the buyer hasn’t actually “made a mistake”. By that I mean they bid an amount for a product labelled as what they believed they were bidding on. It’s not their mistake that the label was wrong (and it may neither be the sellers)…