eBay buyers with overly high expectations

I wasn’t sure if this would fit into the recent questions discussion so I thought it may benefit from having it’s own topic.

Simply put, what do you do about eBay buyers with expectations that considerably exceed what you are selling?

I’ve run into a few instances where the buyers in the past as I’m sure others have as well. Recently I sold a card that looks excellent overall. No major issues. After packing it all up to ship out I noticed that the buyer left a message in the Sales Record that states: “I’m expecting a psa 10 quality card as you describe. I will let you know if it’s up to those standards once received.”

Now I don’t expect pack fresh cards to grade 10 so I certainly wouldn’t ever describe a card in that manner in a listing. I’m just bracing myself for an eBay “item received not as described” case after he takes a microscope to the card and finds… something.

Just curious what stories others can share and how you deal with customers that have over the top expectations.

Thanks!

1 Like

This is the main reason I make it clear I don’t accept returns. If that’s a problem…don’t bid.

You could restate to that fool that you said the card is excellent which equates to a PSA 6 approximately. Then if he wants refund before it becomes a problem.

3 Likes

How often does that statement work in your experiences? Doesnt ebay force you accept returns.

Even if it says no refunds, as long you have some type of proof…ebay usually forces a refund. From a buyer perspective its kind of nice because I bought so much crap that was described as new when it clearly wasnt…but it does suck for the sellers when buyers take advantage of it.

4 Likes

They way I deal with people like that is to immediately refund and block them

4 Likes

It works great. It’s only the nudges that would complain and they aren’t the customers I want anyway. I think on all my ids I’ve only had a couple returns in the last year.

Good pictures and the right information in the description has kept me pretty well protected from this issue. I always make sure to state that what is pictured is what you will receive, no returns, and if there are questions or concerns about condition please contact prior to bidding. I tend to avoid putting a specified condition because condition to a lot of collectors and sellers is subjective. What one person considers excellent another person might consider mint.

3 Likes

Bingo:)

Using the PSA parameters for ungraded cards work well too.

3 Likes

I’ve had a few conversations with eBay in regards to them forcing me to take back items due to “items received not as described”. From what I gathered from my conversations is that if the buyer finds any faults with the item that are not mentioned or shown in the photos then it’s the sellers responsibility to state those flaws/ issues. I asked them how I can cover myself so I’m not a return factory for PSA 10 hunters. They said I have to state that there may be issues that can’t be seen in the photos and note what those issues are. So I made the following disclaimer to try to protect myself as a seller:
Disclaimer: I am not a card grader and do not state the exact condition of each card. Small defects may be undetectable in the photos but I try my best to photograph and note any major flaws I can see. The photos are of the exact card you will receive. Condition issues can include dirt, scratches, front and back wear, bends or dents. If you’d like any additional details or photos please contact me.

While I haven’t had a case since I added the disclaimer I’m hoping that if this turns into a case it will have me covered. Time will tell I suppose.

My main issue with the instant refund and block method is that they can hit you with negative feedback which I’d much prefer to avoid.

Why would they give you a negative if you gave an instant refund?

I like your disclaimer :blush:

I’d hope they wouldn’t but the option is there if they choose to. Suppose it depends how you come off to them and if you ruffle any feathers in the process.

I think the problem is most sellers dont know card conditions, collectors do, but most sellers are not us.

99% of the WOTC ungraded cards that are listed as NM are not even close to actual NM, I dont mean Mint or Gem Mint, but normal near mint.

“NM” to most sellers these days is light played to moderately played, at least from my buying experience.

I think NM is going into the Mint/Gem Mint category now, where if you truly want a card in that condition you have to buy a graded version.

3 Likes

I like this disclaimer, I’m going to use that, I also try and not list any conditions as well for subjective reason also.

1 Like

You can also list the cards as used instead of new, even if they’re pack fresh. I’ve read in the past that eBay is more likely to side with the seller on SNAD cases if the item was listed as used. Regarding returns, I read that the buyer has a higher chance of keeping the item for free (if eBay decides in their favor) if the seller has their listings set to “doesn’t accept returns”, so I’d accept returns just to be safe. Just set your settings so that the buyer is charged a 20% restocking fee. I think that would scare away most people from trying to return what they bought. Now obviously if you mess up and send the wrong item or something, just waive the fee.

2 Likes

Yeah I never list anything as new unless it’s a sealed pack or similar item. I leave returns on with a restocking fee as well. Good to know on the used vs new info & returns, that makes sense.

This. NM to most sellers means around a 6-7 PSA. Almost ALWAYS have a ton of edgeware and white on the back and scratches on the front.

If someone told me they expect a PSA 10 card, cancel and don’t both sending.

2 Likes

As a seller, I have gotten a few returns, some that really stand out recently are:

• There’s a scratch on my GEM MINT PSA Card
  • “I didn’t like the cards condition”

I under-grade most of my cards so they won’t sit in my shelves for months. I myself do know many sellers over-grade their cards, because they don’t go by PSA standards. A Mint card to me, is flawless, Near-Mint, may have a nick or 2 and that’s it. But yes, many buyers tend to have really high expectations and well, when I get messages for M-NM cards, I just happily point them out to the next listing that guarantees such card as I want to avoid the hassle and headache that come with returns.

The only time I keep the refunded item is when the buyer refunds me but does NOT include the return shipping amount and the buyer makes no attempt at getting the item back.