Selling cards on eBay

So I am considering selling some cards on eBay. It terrifies me with the prevalence of scams and overall bad behavior and limited recourse for the seller. I’d love to hear everyone’s opinion on the best way to go about this?

I am mainly going to be selling the cards that I bought, that were either not as described or duplicates as I acquire higher grades of that card. I jumped in a little half ass and overpaid on some cards, without really knowing what I wanted to pursue etc. I’ve wisened up a bit and have a clear path to what I want to acquire.

How do some of you go about selling high end cards. What are precautions that are taken, what about played condition cards?

3 Likes

Explain condition conservatively and stay fairly vague. Allow the photos to do most of the explanation. At the end of the day buyers can force a return if they are willing to lie and you can’t do anything about it.

Ship tracked. Set a threshold of value to insure, a value that you couldn’t stomach or afford losing (this will be different for anyone). Signature on anything $750 and up (eBay and Paypal seller protection requirement).

That’s about it. Start with a few sales of smaller items especially if you have almost no eBay feedback from buying. Scams/issues are ~1% of transactions in my experiences, if not slightly less.

8 Likes

Yeah I’ve sold stuff on eBay a little and have good feedback. But never anything over like 50$ and never a card. I guess I just hear about the bad and it’s an immediate turnoff lol

1 Like

Remember how many millions of sales that goes on every day, the chance of you being scammed is really slim! Most people are good, and you might be scammed in the future or you might not, in my opinion its worth taking the ”risk”, there is a reason so many people sell on ebay, otherwise people would shy away

1 Like

I’m a pretty active seller on eBay (almost 2000 active listings). Ultimately, it’s pretty easy. Take good photos (seriously), purchase tracking for orders $30 and up, and respond promptly to inquiries. I’ve never received a piece of negative feedback, a return request, or a condition complaint. The only kind of painful loss that happened through eBay was my minty Beta Vesuvan Doppelganger getting lost in transit – $800 down the drain, which kind of stung. But that’s one out of thousands of transactions. Bottom-line is: selling on eBay is easy and relatively low-risk – I highly recommend it.

4 Likes

If it makes you feel any better I’ve sold over 2,000 Pokémon cards on eBay and the only issue I’ve ever had was some guy claiming he didn’t receive the card about 2 weeks after he left positive feedback. Naturally eBay sided in my favour on that one…

There are a lot of horror stories, but for every one of those there are thousands upon thousands of success stories.

Wow. I instantly feel better.

Thanks everyone. Good pictures are also my pet peeve. So I will definitely be listing with great pics and no grade assumptions. I feel like that’s what burns people, oh this is NM EX etc. when it’s really nowhere close.

1 Like

copy/paste from previous post

My advice would be to learn every nook and cranny of eBay’s policies as soon as you possibly can. It will save you a lot of headache and a lot of heartache.

When new sellers learn about the ‘Item Not As Described’ policy, and how it can be used (and sometimes abused) to force a seller into accepting a return, they try to craft their listing to be as vague as possible in the hopes that eBay will somehow magically side with them if a customer were try to use this technique to force a return. This doesn’t work, and when a seller does this to intentionally hide damage via deceptive pics or vague listings, they’re just begging for a return. Be upfront about everything that’s going on with the item - deception is a long-term loser’s game.

Spend more than 5 cents on your packaging, and spend some time learning about the best way to package and ship your items. I’m not sure there’s a good reason why tape should ever be on the inside of a package, unless you’re selling tape. Rubber or plastic bands and cheap ribbon do the job just as well and make your customer’s experience opening whatever they bought 100x easier. Bubble mailers, cardboard, and card savers are staples when it comes to shipping pokemon cards. If you must absolutely use toploaders, wrap the toploader in a piece of printer paper, throw a rubber/plastic band around it to make sure it doesn’t come undone, and wedge it between two pieces of semi-thick cardboard. Toss it in a(n appropriately-sized) bubble mailer and you’re done. If the card you’re shipping is so low value that the cost of the above is too high, look into top-loader sized envelopes and non-machineable stamps.

If you ever send a card, by itself with no other protection, immediately delete your eBay selling account. Cheap is easy, but wrong when it comes to collectibles.

Factor your shipping into your price and offer free shipping.

The world’s full of sharks and scumbags. You will meet both if you sell long enough. Don’t let them get under your skin.

International shipping can be a headache, and international buyers almost universally hate the thing that makes it less of a headache: GSP. I can safely say that all of my international sales would have eventually sold domestically, but at the time I was willing to take the risk of shipping internationally without GSP. Each seller has to figure out what’s best for them when it comes to international buyers.

The buyer’s obligation to you as a seller is to pay for the item. Once they pay, leave the positive feedback. You can’t leave actual negative feedback anyway, and leaving negative comments in a positive feedback is against feedback policy and will be removed by customer support if the buyer requests it.

Contrary to popular belief, sellers do actually receive protection by eBay against fraudulent buyers. Make sure you adhere to the seller protection guidelines when shipping your item, e.g., >$750 items need signature confirmation. I highly recommend purchasing postage through eBay. When a buyer requests a return, accept the return, even if you’re getting scam vibes out the wazoo. Most of the time you will get the item you sent back in the same exact condition you sent it. For the few losers out there that try to pull a scam by sending back a different item, as long as you met all the requirements for seller protection, you will likely get paid out for the item. And the buyer will still likely get their money back as well. This can be a hard pill to swallow. If it’s pokemon-related, you can ask to have them added to the blacklist here on the forum.

Spend some time learning how to take good pictures, and invest in some cheap lights and stands to display your products. Presentation is big part of making the sale, and good pictures not only give the customer more information about what you’re selling, they also show that you’re a competent seller.

Also spend some time either finding an eBay description template or making your own to make your listing process easier and your listing stand out from the auto-generated description that you’ll find on 90% of eBay listings.

Given enough time, you may become quite sad at how much eBay and PayPal take out of your earnings. You will have to reconcile those feelings with the realization that listing your cards in almost any other medium would result in 99.9% fewer eyeballs on your products and much less money. Both are a necessary evil for selling your stuff.[/i][/i]

6 Likes

I have been selling on eBay for almost two years now and had over 300 transactions. I almost exclusively list and deal in high end items these days (nothing below 100 and mostly 4-5 figures pieces).
When I started I built some feedbacks and experience on lower value items to get an idea of how the system works.
On top of the solid tips you’ve been given alredy, I also suggest you learn how to use the common eBay listings and fees discounts that they periodically hand out. You’ll be able to save on a strong portion of their usual 10% sales fee.
Overall, my experience has been extremely positive, especially for the high value items. While I’m sure there are scammers on the platform, the overwhelming majority are good people. Be courteous and professional, you’ll be surprised by how much people appreciate it.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Charizard-4-102-Holo-Shiny-Pokemon-Card-Base-Set-WOTC-mint-excellent/203071133501

^Dont be this person lol^

I asked if I could see some pics of the card outside of its soft sleeve as its really hard to tell the actual condition of the card.
Shes got it listed as NM/Excellent but says Its a new card.

She basically refused saying she wouldn’t take it out as it’s never been out of its sleeve . .

I mean !#?!#!#? Seriously?

I took closer look as best I could and noticed it’s got a nasty corner ding and alot of holo scratching, or at least looks like holo scratches . . I struggle to tell in its sleeve Ha!
I bet it will still go for nearly £300!! It’s over £200 already.

1 Like

The card looks like it’s also covered in hair…

All of this advice is great. I would add to start with some cheaper cards and get some good feedback. I wouldn’t worry about scammers too much(in my experience about 1/100). For cheap cards ship with a PWE. Most people just want the card and would rather pay you 2.50 cents less to not have tracking.

Also if you have to use tape on the inside of the package for any reason, use masking tape.

Great great advice. Thanks again, I did recently start selling some fishing stuff on eBay. But to be honest, that’s a different crowd and they are buying stuff to beat up and lose. So i have had 0 issues. It’s really helped build my feedback over the last few months. The cards will mostly be just sold to buy more. I’m still torn on what to sell, I have more coming in tomorrow. So I may push out some of my earlier purchases. I think I’m done taking chances on international cards, that are raw. To big of a headache to send back. This is also why I posted the “should I grade rough no rarity cards”

I have heard that in Japan that it’s normal to store stuff that people sell in storage type units. I have gotten tons of responses that they can’t provide more pictures because of it, and I purchased them. I can say that not a single card from Japan has been as described.

Try listing items of equal amounts. Say 50 listings from 50.00 to 100.00 or 50 items from 800.00 to 1200.00. Figure in a 1-3% loss.
The only way you’ll get in trouble is if you list a 1000.00 item and a 10.00 item. Taking a loss on the 1000.00 would bury you.

1 Like

Yea I have had the same experience, the Japanese don’t have much space with regards to living. Limited space means less possessions on hand, so it makes sense they store alot of items. Also it seems they are mainly collectors, so played cards, binders, displayed and not graded. This seems to have changed recently as the Japanese market is more accepting of PSA and with a PSA In Japan I expect to see more and more graded cards and prices moving inline with the Western World.
Buying raw cards form Japan is a lottery, especially as you usually get front pictures only, or a couple pics that don’t really show the actual condition. This comes back to limited space and collectors not graders, the card is the card…pop it in a binder or display it…the condition isn’t really a factor.

Just my opinion and experience XD

Sorry to bump this thread, but I want to sell my first card on eBay, and I have a couple of questions.

1. The card I want to sell is worth around 4,000 USD (I won’t state what it is due to forum policies). I have currently 1,004 eBay reputation solely as buyer, but I have never sold anything through eBay. Should I start with some lower value duplicated cards in order to get my seller reputation up a bit before trying to sell this 4k USD card, or it doesn’t matter?

2. I’m located in The Netherlands. I’d like to offer free worldwide shipping and (as close as) worldwide visibility. Due to the pandemic, I plan on sending it with priority and insured tracked shipping (which would cost me around 80-90 USD from my local post office I think), and I will calculate that within the price. Since eBay.nl is extremely limited in its options, I thought about creating the listing on eBay.com. Has any non-US seller experience with this? Is there a way to list it on eBay.com, but also make it visible on other eBays than just eBay.co.uk?

3. What (percentage of) fees would PayPal get if my card would sell for exactly 4k USD? I know creating the actual listing costs a few cents, but what about when a card of such a price sells?

4. I thought about using this description:

Any remarks or things I should change, add, and/or remove?

Considering the (for me at least) high value, I want to make sure I have everything correct before listing my auction.

Any other tips, especially from Dutch sellers whom have used eBay before, are highly appreciated.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@quuador

1. Feedback as a seller will be irrelevant here - the vast majority of people will not care, and if people really want the card from you it won’t matter if you have 10 feedback or 1,000,000.

2. It’s entirely up to you but I would very much advise making use of eBay’s Global Shipping Program (GSP) if it’s available in the Netherlands when dealing with a sale for that value - it will give you a lot of peace of mind and will basically mean you won’t have to care much about it once it’s in eBay’s hands. This will mean that you will be able to offer free shipping within the Netherlands (and maybe across some close borders), but for someone like me in the UK I’d expect to have to pay at least some arbitrary amount for shipping. When you’re dealing with $4,000 cards people tend to not get too hung up on shipping costs. If you don’t want to go down the GSP route, do not use FedEX as they only insure cards up to $1,000 in value; have a look around for what options are available to you. I know UPS insure $4k but you need a business account to insure about $2,500.

3. Here is eBay’s global fees page: developer.ebay.com/devzone/guides/features-guide/content/Development/IntlDiffs-Fees.html - in the US it’s capped at $250 and in the UK it’s capped at £250, but it looks like for NL it’s a flat 10% rate regardless (I’d advise contacting eBay to enquire about this).

4. Don’t overthink the description, what you have sounds great. The vast majority of my purchases involve me looking at the pictures, looking at the price and taking a very quick look at the first line or two of the description to make sure no funny business is going on. The rest at the end of the day is just fluff.

Finally: best of luck with the sale. :grin:

2 Likes

GSP is only available for the US and UK as far as I’m aware.

And apparently shipping a 70x60x60 cm 500 grams package with a value of 4k euros from my place to the US with the cheapest UPS shipping option Expedited is 357.22 euros / ~425 USD… (most expensive option Express Plusis even 516.55 euros / 610 USD). :sweat: If eBay would take another 10% I would need to sell it for roughly 5k to even get 4k myself. Pretty ridiculous tbh…

And regarding those caps you mentioned at #3, if I list and try to sell it through eBay.com instead of eBay.nl, will the max 250 USD fees apply, or the Dutch 10% instead, even though I’m not selling it through eBay.nl?

I’ll have to investigate the shipping options in my country a bit before even attempting to create that listing I see… :confused:

Greetz,
Quuador