Screwdown cases can lead to an altered grade

blog.psacard.com/2019/01/11/screwdown-holders-the-perils-of-card-preservation/

be careful when buying cards in these holders.

2 Likes

Who would’ve thought :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice try PSA

It’s actually pretty amazing that Terry Melia, after nearly 30 years in the hobby, didn’t know this. This has been common knowledge since psa’s inception in the early 90s. That’s when we stopped using screwdown blocks.

1 Like

Wow… 30 years? I’ve been doing PSA and card preservation for about 7 years now seriously and I learned not to do this in the first year! Me thinks he does the job, but not the hobby too much.

I know this topic is older than dirt, but is this still the consensus? I feel like I’m seeing more and more screwdown cases on big trophy cards. Is that more of a presentational preference in instances where the owner wouldn’t want to grade it anyway?

1 Like

There are recessed screwdown cases which shouldn’t damage the card. The problem with the old screwdown cases were that they didn’t have much room inside.

I’ve heard stories where some old sports cards have even stuck to the case and pulling the card out would sometimes rip the card. Also, you can imagine the potential damage done to the card if you squeeze it between the plastic holder.

2 Likes

What about the offical pokemon card frames?

2 Likes