Regrade with CGC or Nah?

Well here is my Gold Star Rayquaza:

I need some help with your thoughts on this getting the potential CGC 10 as I hear there forgiving and this would have been a CGC 9.5 I believe

It has no surface scratches either from my eyes

Let me know what you all think and if it’s worth getting the CGC 10 or just leaving it as a psa 9

I have seen so many 4+ certs hit higher grades this may be a contender :man_shrugging:

10 is better than 9 of course but there is zero guarantee this goes up. You have to think about it the other way which is…do I want this as a cgc 9?

10 Likes

Heck no I do not want this as a CGC 9 that’s for sure haha

I’m also thinking if this is BGS 9.5 worthy but who knows

I have a huge feeling if it got the CGC 9 I would send it back too psa for the the 9 grade as it’s a minty copy so I’m sure it’s getting the 9 again just it’s going too be a decent penny lol

The new cgc 9.5 mint + looks a tasty grade :wink:

I honestly think this is pretty close to a lock for a CGC 10 based on corners and centering at least.

You can always do crossover and not crack it.

1 Like

You made a similar thread one month ago. Clearly, you are unhappy with your PSA 9 and want a higher grade. Maybe you should send it in or buy a higher graded copy?

5 Likes

Who in the world told you CGC is more forgiving? That’s an oversimplification. CGC is more strict on post-production damage, like scratches, but it’s more forgiving on very small factory print lines. PSA is more forgiving with very small post-production scratches and on centering. If you think it got a 9 because of a print line, then CGC might give it a 9.5 or 10; otherwise, it’ll be a 9 or lower. Of course, all of this is overly generalized and also just depends on the grader you get, too.

4 Likes

For a vintage card going for a 10 I would definitely say the Gem Mint 10 from CGC is a lot more forgiving. Since they are still grading as if it’s a 3x9.5 1x9 sub average even without subs.

What? Surely they are grading from 9 9.5 9.5 9.5 up to 9.5 9.5 10 10. 9.5625 average.

That’s the same as PSA. That’s why people would frequently cross CGC 9.5s to PSA 10s.

I like both companies, and I prefer both over BGS. I don’t think either is “easier” than the other across the board.

1 Like

There’s a difference with being un happy and being very happy to think this could get the higher grade and that’s where I am at very happy that this deserves a higher grade. I was thinking BGS but CGC as I still hear there more forgiving with giving out a 10 ( who knows maybe even too get there name out of the gutter that most have put them into ) would maybe give this a 10 and post about it as I have seen them do before

I actually forgot I made that post thank you for reminding me :innocent: This one is now to go with CGC or not , taking BGS out of the equation for now as yeah maybe it hits the 9.5 but that CGC 10 may be best

I think it got the 9 due too a small white spec on the top left of the card back and maybe there is a print line I can’t see but I can’t see any

Nah

7 Likes

Nope

7 Likes

I meant the minimum average.

1 Like

A lot of those 9.5s that people crossed to PSA 10 were modern cards that PSA has been hanging 10s out to like candy. It’s nearly impossible now to get a PSA 10 on a vintage card with any surface damage.

This question is unanswerable unless you answer the question of “why?” Are you trying to sell the card? If so, it’s probably not worth regrading. Would you prefer to have the card in a CGC slab for collecting purposes? Then yes, it’s worth regrading.

4 Likes

I’m assuming they are asking because of the CGC 10 that just sold for 18k.

1 Like

Has that been paid for, I thought all of those were shilled and unpaid. The premium rn is about 8k or about double the PSA 9 price so it’s definitely not insignificant.

Though I do think op missed his shot since it was more feasible while blue labels were being upgraded. Now it could get new 9.5 and we don’t know if those have any premium

Pretty sure that one was bought and paid for.

1 Like