"Red's Pikachu is The Rarest Card of 2018" - Unlistedleaf

As some may know, I uploaded a video talking about Red’s Pikachu japanese promo card. Basically discussing how its a fun popular card, but not that rare, and will hit an inflection point.

Unlisted leaf however believes Red’s Pikachu is the rarest card of 2018. I like how the hype channels grow the hobby in a general sense, but this card is printed in much higher quantities than the 2016 festa.

Ultimately it is a fun card. But don’t expect it to grow significantly, if at all, as there are individual japanese sellers alone who have sold over 1000 copies.

13 Likes

I wonder how many people will buy this because of him, ‘hold onto this one and you might be able to pay your mortgage off one day’ … :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

GOOD LORD.

Here comes the storm of ignorance -__-

2 Likes

This right here, is the reason why I am happy I found efour before any other pokemon media. And congratulations on your Red’s Pikachu video Scott once again, giving honest, factual advice to collectors.

Then again my opportunistic side is happy people got so hyped about this card, you have no idea how many awesome deals I snagged from YJ while everyone else was spending their money on bundles of this.

1 Like

WAIT. He literally says it will double in value this year and the next year…

Yeesh, I picked one up but I don’t expect it to go up in value that much. It’s a great looking card though!

Its too bad he will misinform people.

It confuses me that someone as passionate as he is about Pokémon and the TCG makes a statement like this. It doesn’t take much effort to discover this is not a rare card. Is he ignorant or hyping cards that he knows are mass produced?

I wonder if he has a YT persona, and IRL is a serious/mature collector like us on E4.

You guys are all liars.

Just picked up 7 copies for $350USD and know that my investment will more than double in the next two months.

Ando even told me so :wink:

8 Likes

Smh…true dumbass. Andy saying he loves Pokémon and spitting fallacies is like saying you love your partner after murdering him or her.Yes it’s that serious.

Can we all spam email this kid and ask him to recognize real?

Well over 1,000 sold and counting. Still going for $7 a piece.

He claimed it will double in price next year and then double in price the year after that. He then advised to hold on to this one because “it could one day pay for your mortgage”.

There is predicting, then there is being an idiot. Most of the secret rares from Ultra Prism are more rare, and ALL of the trophy cards from this years Worlds are a lot more rare than this one. Not even close.

Why even lie? It’s a cool card regardless.

1 Like

Scott obviously in cahoots with unlistedleaf and paying him to shill this card. We all saw how many copies he has. Nice try.

2 Likes

This is simply the youtube culture: hype.

While typing this thread I knew ultimately it would advertise the video, which is fine. I don’t want to create a negative bash thread as there is a silver lining with the hype channels; they provide necessary growth to the hobby.

Basically I posted this to show the contrast between “hype” and accurate information. Advertisement vs Authenticity. Each play a role in the game.

8 Likes

I mean this guy can spin a yarn. I recognize the envelope he got the card in because it’s the same as the one I got. His exclusive Japanese source is gesomayo on eBay, who has sold 1,600+ copies of this rare card and paid off the mortgage for his penthouse on Mars.

10 Likes

Invest now before it’s too late, only 2700 left
www.ebay.com/itm/300-Pcs-Lot-Reds-Pikachu-270-SM-P-PROMO-Pokemon-Card-Jpanese-Full-Art/132765145821

6 Likes

He’s a little bit like a Snake-Oil Salesman for the modern generation.
Clout and hype sell, if you can spin a tall tale about something cheap eventually paying off your mortgage then you’re guaranteed to get lots of clicks; and therefore that sweet YouTube money!

IMO its a net positive though, hype works casually but as it draws more people into the more serious side of the hobby they’ll realise the facade in no time and ditch all the clout garbage in favour of the facts.

2 Likes

If anyone listen to that kid for any sort of investment/financial advice, he/she deserves to fail.

Actually while on topic, I think such massive printing is damaging to the hobby as seeing bundles of 300 of the same promo readily available detracts from the feeling of achievement that one should inherently get when acquiring a collectible.

I hope I am wrong here, but does anyone else think this card may mark a turning point for Japanese promos, in which international demand got so much attention that future print runs for Japanese promos will account for it?

Japan has been lightyears ahead in terms of delivering trully collectable promos with a well balanced sense of chase and affordable pricing, I hope they don’t devolve into printing all future promos into oblivion to feed into the ‘investment’ bandwagon.

The boss pikachu and eevee poncho sets last year were so ‘spot on’ in terms of affordability and rarity from my perspective as a collector, I really hope they stick to that pattern in the future.

2 Likes

@kaldoverde This has more to do with how the card was released + the unprecedented demand. Japanese promos are the most diverse category in the hobby. They have a range of releases from extremely available cards such as this one, all the way to trophy cards.

The SM Promos alone have a wide range of rarity to chase. This is simply an exceptional combination of an easier to obtain card with massive demand.

2 Likes

F THAT GUY​:joy::joy: wait for all the eBay listings go up because he said so

1 Like

Omg thank you man thought i was gonna miss out! Cheers for the link

1 Like