Recognizing the illicitly-obtained Gold Star dogs

FWIW, I bought two sets of gold star dogs off of someone that had multiple sets for sale. They also sold me two complete sets of Unseen Forces. All commons/uncommons/holos.

I think there may have been full sets printed including the gold stars, but the source I was talking to did not have the ex’s. Maybe those were left out? Or at least werent sold to the person I talked to from the original source.

Do you have any evidence besides the purchase you made that the full sets minus the exs might’ve been printed? Because that would be very interesting to know, if true.

One thing that makes me doubt it is that the full sheets were probably by rarity – that’s how it’s done with Magic, and I imagine that’s how it’s done with Pokemon (but I could be wrong, obviously). And it wouldn’t make sense for them to choose to separately print common, uncommon, and holo rare sheets because those cards are worth very little. It would be a lot of extra risk for very little payoff. The only way I could see it being true is if, for whatever reason, all sheets of the set could only be printed together, and not independently (for some reason related, maybe, to the coding of the machinery). But then that would make me wonder why the ex sheets weren’t also printed and cut? If they cut the common, uncommon, and holo rare sheets, they almost certainly also would’ve cut the ex sheet, I imagine.

I thought about that, maybe it was more work since all the cards except the ex’s were yellow border?

Hmm, maybe. Another possibility, if it turned out that your theory was true, is that the printing methods used to produce the exs were different than the holos/non-holos.

I don’t really see it mattering. There’s no clear way to differentiate the two and unless one of the people who have a very large quantity are stupid enough to dump them all on Ebay at auction and watch the market crash then it doesn’t matter. Hell, I would like for that to happen so that I can grab some copies for cheap :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Pure speculation, but I doubt the gold star dogs are the only case of this or something similar happening. Reasons why:

• If they were able to get away with 5k gold star dogs, why wouldn’t the same person(s) be inclined to do the same with 5k gold star Regi-s in Legend Maker?
  • Or, maybe they printed 5k gold star dogs, because they previously started smaller and got comfortable? So maybe a couple thousand gen 4 starter gold stars from ex TRR?
  • If no one had posted their binder of hundreds of gold star dogs online, this easily could have been kept hidden from the public… especially after the gold star dogs incident, anyone involved in anything similar would likely be a lot more careful
  • The factory/ Pokemon company / etc. has very little incentive to publicly disclose that an incident like this happened, in their eyes, publicly acknowledging something like this could only hurt sales of official product
  • If it happened once, quality control/security at the factory can’t have been that great
1 Like

Maybe the person who printed it did so just before leaving the company. They may not have wanted to risk their job doing it earlier however if they know they’re leaving anyway…

I’m sure it was said somewhere else but what is this thread about? Were some cards counterfeited or something?

www.elitefourum.com/t/mystery-of-the-entei-suicune-and-raikou-goldstars/13863/1

This is probably the most eyebrow-raising post in the thread: www.elitefourum.com/t/mystery-of-the-entei-suicune-and-raikou-goldstars/13863/73.

Bit of a shame that @randox posed a pretty good question at the end of that thread but it was locked due to it being a bump over 2 months. I imagine the fact that the thread has had basically no activity since 2018 is probably what attributes to the price rises as people just aren’t aware of these any more.

1 Like

I think the supply has also just been absorbed pretty well. One thing that makes me think this is that Troll and Toad has very generous buylist prices on the Gold Star dogs.

That or there are still individuals/stores with thousands of copies. It’s interesting. But I agree that it’s also a function of many people just not being aware of the whole debacle.

2 Likes

I think so too. Although I think it’s made the gold star dogs bump down in tier for gold stars. They’re comparable to power keepers gold stars in price despite the print run difference. But overall they seem to have recovered

Oh, definitely. Were it not for the debacle, the EX Unseen Forces gold stars would be more expensive than Groudon/Kyogre, and maybe even comparable to Latias/Latios. They happen to be great-looking cards, too.

1 Like

Surprised the price of these keep rising given the overinflated supply that is out there, maybe people forgot?

1 Like

I don’t think people forgot that. It’s more like newer collectors have never heard of it, others need them for their Gold Star master set and a third group might see them as a chance to own at least some English Gold Stars as PSA 10.

Price of Ancient Mews keeps rising aswell and I think it’s safe to say that there are at least 100 times as much of them around compared to the dogs/cats.

It’s a combination of two factors:

1. the prices of everything has risen.

2. There are a ton of uninformed buyers in the market right now – most of whom likely don’t know the story with these. I actually saw a discussion on Reddit where people were talking about how undervalued the Unseen Forces gold stars are. People were confused why the gold star Regis were similar prices lol. So the plain reality is that many speculators just don’t know the story behind the dogs.

Inflation. It’s happening, been happening, will continue to happen - faster and faster.

2 Likes

That’s true, a lot of new people into Pokémon post Logan Paul and just in general.

Posts in threads with a last post of over two months ago are against the rules.

Discuss market trends here: www.elitefourum.com/t/the-giant-english-market-thread/27424/1

1 Like