Gold Star and Neo Shining Price Tracker

I love Gold Stars, I love Shinings. Other cards get a tracker so why not these?
Prices valid at 2021/3/12

1st EDITION SHININGS
Total: $58,104

GOLD STARS

Total: $231,906

Additional Analytics
Shining Ratios
Gold Star Ratios

Which is your favourite Shining / Gold Star card?

43 Likes

Favorite gold star is Pika but a few others come close

3 Likes

Jeez; the GS dogs have really gotten up there in price. I remember when I got back into the hobby there were a gazillion unsold listings at like $300 each lol. The growth on those has really outpaced that of any other gold star.

Awesome thread idea, btw! Oh, and my favorite gold stars are probably Latios, Rayquaza, Groudon, and the Hoenn starters. Tough to choose lol. There isn’t a single bad gold star. As far as shinings go, I’d say my favorite is Gyarados. Haven’t put much thought into those, though.

5 Likes

Shining Kabutops & Mewtwo only cards on that list that HIT me, with that I NEED THAT. They are all amazing cards, but those two just got me like OHHH. Don’t know why but gold stars never really ruffled my feathers the same way, but mew is defiantly my favorite.

Shining: Tyranitar, no competition.

Gold Star:
Charizard
Gyarados
Mew
Latias
Metagross
Espeon play promo

4 Likes

bunch of torchic haters in here, love that little guy

8 Likes

May I request for a total row (:

1 Like

www.elitefourum.com/t/umbreon-026-play-the-most-beautiful-pokemon-card-ever/12617/1

2 Likes

Totals have been added.

On the next PWCC auction so far -

GOLD STAR:
Kyogre
Entei
Raikou
Celebi
Gyarados
Regirock

SHINING:
Raichu

3 Likes

I’ll be extremely curious to see where the Gyarados goes, they dont show up too often as 10’s. I feel like it gets a bit overlooked, but its a ridiculously low pop as well.

I remember when I entered the hobby and saw the Gyarados star PSA 10 go for $2000 and was like “Man, isn’t that a bit too much?”

Haha…

Whats interesting is how much frequency there is for Gold star sales, many of the cards listed haven’t even sold a single copy in PSA 10 this year which strengthens the view that they are much rarer then other cards but also that they are being held within collections rather then being flipped.

Could really see some of these cards holding there values over time as some of these Gold Stars on a % basis have also lagged in price growth which is interesting.

I didn’t appreciate the Regis had passed so scarcely through PSA.

1 Like

Regice only pop 45 is interesting…

The entire low pop of vintage cards is surprising, considering the year we’ve been through. You’d think that these price increases motivate anyone and their mother to grade their cards. And they probably do! So if this year led only to such a miniscule increase in PSA 10s, there won’t be that much more in existence. Which is crazy, considering the millions of cards that were originally printed.

1 Like

Give it time, may submissions only coming back now haha…

1 Like

Yeah, I checked PokémonPrice for the pop - over - time tracker. 8s and 9s have had movement last year with gold stars but it’s crazy how much the psa 10 pop has stagnated / trickled since 2019 vs many other set cards.

1 Like

Does anyone know from experience which of the lower pop 10s are more difficult to attain the higher grade in?

They didn’t print millions of each gold star, though. Significantly fewer than that. More like a 5 figure amount of each. Let’s say for the sake of argument that they printed 50,000 Mudkip gold stars. 99% of those were opened back in 2004/2005. And of those, almost all of them were opened by 5-13 year olds. And how many 5-13 year olds preserved cards in pristine condition, let alone for nearly two decades?

When you think about it like that, it makes sense why the pops are as low as they are. There just aren’t that many gem mint copies of these left. And there’s just not that much sealed product left. So the pops are organically low and will assumedly remain that way (although I’m sure they’ll grow a bit over a time).

2 Likes

The grading ratios between 10/9/8s will give you a good indication on that :blush: