Quuador's Collection - Spare book closet put to good use

@quuador , in the latest Trainer Tips video I saw these two items that are missing in your collection, so I thought I’d give you a heads up. :grin:

A huge printed banner

A giant Pikachu card photobooth

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgFkBXK_cU0

They reminded me of that giant Base Pikachu card from back in the 90s. They’re currently displayed in New Taipei City, Taiwan during the Pokémon GO Safari Zone event. Good luck! :wink:

2 Likes

Haha, should be easy, lol. They do look pretty cool though :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

No worries bud, I am glad that I was able to help you :grin::+1:t3:!

2 Likes

A new beautiful extended artwork arrived for the Base Pikachu. This one is made by pixelshaped of Instagram. Love the little pond and lily she added.

I’ve also bought loads of exciting (non-Pokémon) cards in October. Only one more package has to arrive from those, so I will post an update about all those after it has arrived.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

You ever have those months where you’re coming across cool items for a nice price and you just have to have them on impulse? Well, October was one of those months for me. Although I did buy a few Pikachus for my collection, I mostly bought cards outside of my collection goals.

Let’s start with one which is still partially related to my Pikachu collection (even though I only collect TCG cards): the three Topsun variations; blue back no number, blue back, and green back.

Next up we have another non-TCG buy. The full Trading Figure Game - Next Quest set in English, as well as four French ones and two Italian. I might try to complete the full French, German, and Italian Next Quest 8/8 sets at one point. PS: The French and Italian versions all have their backs upside down, something I noticed after placing them in the binders. :blush:

Just a bit of background of what these cards are. There is a Trading Figure Game for Pokémon from 2006/2007. The first set was Next Quest. It includes 42 regular figures; 6 crystal figures; 10 pearl figures (European exclusives); and the eight Trainer cards you see above.

The next set in line, Groundbreakers, kept getting delayed for its release. They even already created an Unnamed Third Set before the second Groundbreakers set would have been released. But, in the end the entire TFG got cancelled before these two sets got released (although two starter packs of the second set were available in stores for a very brief moment in time). The Groundbreaker figures are very hard to find, especially with their original stands. The unnamed third set are surprisingly enough easier to find in comparison. For the Groundbreaker set there were also eight Trainer cards planned, although I recently heard only six of them were released (this information comes from @funmonkey54 , who also showcased those six Groundbreaker cards in the Mini Museum of the First Pokémon Event in Hartford, Connecticut).

A lot of information I know about the TFG comes from this video series, which I can recommend watching if you want to know more about the Pokémon TFG. Some of the figures are actually pretty cool. I’m personally only a card collector, but I did buy the Seviper figure from the unnamed third set for on my desk:

And in addition, I’m glad to have been able to find two of the English Groundbreakers Trainer cards:

Speaking of the Hartford, Connecticut First Pokémon Event, I’ve also picked up a COLLECTOR stamped Charizard which was pretty cheap. I know there is a lot of controversy around this card, and I won’t go into detail about that. I mainly bought it for two reasons: 1. it’s Charizard, it was surprisingly cheap, and it’s limited to roughly 400 stamps. And 2. I like what it stands for. I may not have been able to go to the event in person, I really like everything the event stood for and love this Charizard that goes along with it.

And the card next to it was one that was on my wish list for a very long time. Every time I delayed purchasing it, and over the years it actually increased in price a bit (although not as much as I’d feared). The artwork is very cool though, and even though it’s not a trophy card, I love that it has the trophy-card symbol as well as being a Duo Star, so I just had to pick up the Grand Party:

And next we have just some random error cards in no particular order:

Cracked Ice Holofoil Ninetales with the incorrect set symbol:

The full BREAKthrough BREAK card set of six with upside down backs:

The Reverse Holo Aquapolis Lanturn with random Poké-Body:

This Spanish Kalos Starter Set Potion lacking the set numbering:

The Black & White Zekrom Full Art with its grey background error, as well as it’s black background corrected version:

A Moltres Miscut (a card actually inside my collection boundaries, haha :wink: ). I actually already had one I later on realized, but this second one I bought (the one on the left) is slightly more miscut, as I can see a slither of Articuno below it):

Next an sun-bleached Slowpoke from the same guy who made some sun-bleached Pikachus for me in the past. I came across this Slowpoke by accident and liked the way it looked, so I bought it. :blush:

Next these two Base Set 2 double prints. They almost look fake on first glance, but they are actually double printed. They are definitely real, as the back is exactly the same; the light test is exactly the same; and when I look at the card with my 40x mini microscope I can see the same printing pattern (although two layers on top of it of course).

Next one @tonysandlin can probably appreciate. :wink: I already had most of these in my collection, so I decided to buy the missing three cards (Japanese No Rarity; Jungle 1st edition; and Base Set ©1999-2000) to complete all English and Japanese variations of the Jungle and Base Set Electrodes (including an ink error I already had):

And finally, three random non-Holo Secret Rares from the Japanese 20th Anniversary set. I didn’t even knew this set had Secret Rares before, and I thought it was kinda random:

So yeah… Quite an update, but not a lot from my actual collection goals. Let me know which of these cards are your favorites. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

12 Likes

oh nice, I didn’t know the darker looking cards were double prints, I have some german base set cards like that

Really nice stuff! I especially like that Slowpoke who looked directly into the sun :rofl:

1 Like

Love the additions. Ninetales seems to always get those weird errors. Haha.

And didn’t know about the Double Prints for Base Set 2. Would you consider this another variant, @quuador? Or has it yet to be confirmed whether whole sets have them or not?

1 Like

@azulryu @chappo No, I don’t think the entire set would be available like this. And I’m not really able to capture it on camera to be completely honest. I do see color variations with the Base Set cards pretty often, but these are double printed. You can kinda see it in the Fire Energy symbol. In hand they look like a blurred photograph. Maybe because my camera is always kinda blurry, it’s not showing that well. :wink:

Here hopefully a slightly better picture. Both cards are completely in focus, but the double printed Meowth (on top) looks like it’s out of focus.

It’s kinda like this Shinx, but not shifted anywhere near that much.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

These are great, cool that this variation can can be seen so easily just from their colours

I need to have that Lanturn!:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yu-Gi-Oh, or at least the OCG / Japanese side, has reached 10,000 cards printed with the latest set. Because of this, that set contained a special 10,000 Secret Rare (with the very fitting name Ten Thousand Dragon). It’s basically the same as a 20th Secret Rare (Red Holofoil Name with Prismatic Secret Rare type holofoil on the entire card except for the description box), but in addition it has 10000 as imprint in the description. This is my most expensive Yu-Gi-Oh card thus far, but a very nice addition to my Yu-Gi-Oh rarity collection (TCG, OCG, and misprints). Too bad I don’t really like the artwork that much. :wink:

In addition, an extended/altered Base Pikachu arrived yesterday, made by shady_collects of Instagram. Really like the red and white-stippled mushrooms she added. :blush:

And another card which arrived today, is this Gold Secret Rare Pikachu & Zekrom GX tag team from the Japanese Tag All Stars set:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Fun facts about the Ten Thousand Dragon.

1. The card code at the bottom left is, you guessed it, 00010000.

2. In the middle of the artwork at the side of this tail, you can see the vortex that is shown on every YGO card back.

3. Notice how the tip of its wings and its breast plate has that of a fountain pen tip. That is because in Japan, the fountain pen is can be directly translated into ‘Ten Thousand Year Pen’.

Congrats on the sweet card, it iss increasing in selling price every day in Japan.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info. I had indeed noticed 1, and heard about 2 before I bought it. But 3 is new to me. :blush: And I indeed saw it increase in price as well, which kinda surprised me considering it can be pulled from packs. I had one on my watching list which had 5 of them in stock. Next day all five were sold, so at that point I bought the cheapest I could find (which was about 15 USD above the one I had watched, so still pretty reasonable). The cheapest one currently on eBay is about 180 USD above of what I paid though, so I’m glad I bought this one. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

What was the disputation on this card? I am assuming it was not distributed in packs?

Surprisingly enough it is from a pack. It’s from the Ignition Assault set. Because of that those high prices surprised me at first, but considering the rapid growth I bought it anyway. I assume it will rise a bit more in the upcoming weeks, but will be worth probably less than what I paid for it (358 USD) later this year. It will definitely be worth more 5+ years from now, though. (Don’t quote me on this, but just what I guess based on earlier experiences.) And regardless of what it is/will be worth, it’s still a very nice card for my Yu-Gi-Oh rarity collection. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I would agree, it is a very unique card and the YGO market is still very young imo. Thanks for the info. :blush:

You’ll be happy to know there’s a new Pikachu Build-A-Bear card which, as you would expect, comes with this Pikachu plush: www.buildabear.co.uk/online-exclusive-pichu-bundle/427749_427697_427699_427905_457384.html

:sweat:

1 Like

Plush for you, card for me. :wink: I only collect cards for Pokémon anyway. The TFG Seviper figure I posted a few posts above is one of my few non-card items in my Pokémon collection, which I primarily bought because:

1. It’s related to the TFG cards I bought
  2. The set that figure came in was never officially released, so has a nice story behind it
  3. It was very cheap (like 9 USD with a bit of shipping iirc)
  4. It’s my favorite Pokémon

Thanks for letting me know, though! I was aware of it, but I had actually forgot about it and also don’t see it in my checklist yet…

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Another beautiful altered Base Set Pikachu arrived today. :blush: This one is made by ChaoticCardShop from Instagram, which was recommended to me by @azulryu (thanks!).

In addition the Lillie arrived, so I now have all three Extra Battle promos for my FA Supporter collection, which I will send to PSA later this year (after my Alolan Friends pre-order has arrived as well) along with some Ancient Mew ©2019 versions and the Yu-Gi-Oh 10,000 Secret Rare shown earlier.

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes