Qualifying for the Pokemon WC from Australia

Just wondering if any members of the forum had any idea about this. I know the TCG in america is based off of points and I believe you attend events to gain those points. I’m not sure if this is the same in Australia or where such things would be held.
I’d take interest in Pokken, the TCG and the VGC formats but if I could get some idea on all of them it would be appreciated, thank you! :blush:

you can start with the online card game. if you play at certain times in tournaments you can even get points there.

good way to learn everything and meta decks to fiddle with. plus you probably have some code cards laying around :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

A lot of people will travel to Melbourne/Sydney to attend Australian Nationals, also there are often people travelling to Indonesia/Singapore to attend National Events there to get enough points for Worlds participation.

3 Likes

@fazool is there any way to know in advance when those certain times are going to be? I’ve dabbled in the card game but didn’t realise I could earn points through it so never really invested in it too much.

@milhouse I live in Melbourne and I know some people in Sydney so I could attend both realistically. Do you just show up to Nationals or is it invitation only? I love Singapore too so I’d be happy to use it as an excuse to make the flight over!

If you check on Pokemon Play, they will tell you where /when events are held. Usually at EB stores or the like… You just get your play number and bring it with you.

But majority of the information you will need can be found on that site. It will also tell you amount of points you can recieve/need to qualify for bigger tournaments.

In terms of VGC, I just gave up because everyone is using specific IV/EV/Natured gen’d mons, each to their own but if you wanna grind and do it legit these people are way ahead because they saved hundreds of hours breeding and focused on movesets and counters.

Good luck!! All the best on your quest tho bro!!!

1 Like

Was considering making the trip back early to see my family so i can attend the event. Not sure yet, it would be a good place to sell and get in touch with collectors / players.

Does anybody know if there will be any exclusive promotional items to buy?

it’s next to where i used to work near Homebush… haha. Where they held the Sydney olympics in 2000 also.

Pokemon is olympic level now.

Oh the Sydney event is pretty close to me, the site says spectators entry is $15 … does that mean you have to pay just to get in and walk about or is there an area where you go to ‘spectate’?

I’ve never been to one of these for pokemon, are there many vendors at the Aussie events and if so do they have much wotc stuff available? Are there many PSA cards at the booths? Wondering if it’s worth going, the MTG event vendors are often pretty sucky, there’s not many of them and their selection for old stuff is always poor.