PSA suspending most services as of Mar 30 2021

welp. this just showed up. I had just gotten a submission in this morning, luckily. I suspect this will be a big shift in the collectibles industry right now, if they are turning down submissions for the next 2ish months

edit: here’s the letter to customers

www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/10367/psa-customer-update-april-2021

31 Likes

I remember someone in the Discord called it, crazy they are actually going through with it

2 Likes

whoa.

1 Like

Good

4 Likes

www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/10367/psa-customer-update-april-2021

Here is the letter explaining a bit more. Also this is another example of something that while technically should go in the Giant Professional Grading thread, we’ll leave it on its own because it’s so big and important.

12 Likes

thats a big ole rip, didnt they just buy a new facility too?

1 Like

They should do this more often like an off season of sorts so they can catch up on grading as much as they can.

6 Likes

luckily i sent in about 4/5ths of my submissions last week. these last 20 cards won’t be graded for a while I guess.

I’m guessing the 3 days worth of submissions they received that was more than the previous three months were the orders that people got in before the price increase. That’s a bonkers number of cards.

Since I submitted a few express orders in March, hoping that there weren’t too many express orders in the mad rush to beat price jumps.

3 Likes

They’ve had an entire year to adapt, this wasn’t what I would call adapting. Having too much business is a good problem I guess… Shutting off submissions for 90 days minimum just let’s other grading companies fill the void, even if it is only temporarily.

2 Likes

I got over 700 cards ready to send right before the price increases so here I am waiting to send in cards as I would like to see if they will have Pokemon in the next quarterly special and instead they suspend all lower tiers. I am not on my game right now.

1 Like

Nuts, glad I got my subs in.

1 Like

silver lining is that I just made an SGC account last night. I don’t love the designs, but Beckett seems to be heavily backlogged as well. hopefully PSA’s new management learns from this situation, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I feel at this point they are taking a short term loss for a longterm gain of being able to comeback strong and ready rather than continuously feeling overwhelmed of everything that is happening. I think they make enough money to sustain for a while, but the most long term growth approach is making sure you have happy repeat customers.

I think this is as justified as sports players taking an off season. It’s necessary for recovery.

10 Likes

Not surprising at all. I often think about why they don’t try a per person cap, monthly cap, lottery, or something similar to allow submissions to come in but at more manageable pace. I bet this will further increase the demand for CGC, and I wonder if they will increase prices again/suspend submissions themselves.

Although it must align with the business model goals (or, realistically, preserve private relationships with power brokers), it is no small thing for a company to say, “stop sending us your business and keep your money for now.” Many would say that’s just asking for the kiss of death. This is quite amazing to me.

Edit: PSA: “CGC, you owe us 15% of all your gross this next quarter.”

4 Likes

They honestly should have done this a while ago, and I think this should have actually occurred before the price increase. But hopefully, the combination of both things will significantly slow things down and allow them to get caught up.

6 Likes

This is why “just scaling” doesn’t work.

6 Likes

It’s definitely not a kiss of death. They are backed up out their behinds. This will just allow them to catch up and (hopefully) provide more satisfactory customer service in terms of getting cards graded and out the door.

People will still submit to PSA once they open back up.

understandable, as I guessed the price increase was just a drop in the ocean, that didn’t really calm down the submissions PSA was getting. It also takes time to hire and train all the new staff, this all during the midst of a pandemic.