PSA Special $18/Card through end of July

I submitted 20 myself at the 30 dollar tier, but at least I’ll get them back a touch sooner hopefully and I still only spent a bit more than usual. I simply budget for how much I am willing to spend. Still waiting for cards submitted a year and a half ago at 10 per card…

Yeah on a hanful of cards it doesnt make too much of a difference. Was thinking of people who sent hundreds of cards in, so that would be in the thousands for grading fee savings

1 Like

Yes - I think the timing of the special caught many by surprise including myself. The folks who submitted at the $30 tier, in theory, are no worse off than if they sent in at $18. If the valuations were all over $199 and psa is strict with upcharges. I think they will have more capacity to enforce these once the backlog is cleared out.

1 Like

I submitted 100ish in the $30 tier and don’t mind. They were more valuable on average. Some-most wouldn’t qualify for the $18 tier.

The real question is, will PSA do an even lower tier towards the end of the year?

6 Likes

It depends on the backlog, I think.

June 9 PSA announces $ 30 a card, minimum 20 cards+membership.

only after 1 week.

June 16 PSA announces $ 30 no limitation.

after 3 weeks.

July 7 PSA announces $ 18 per card, minimum 20 cards+membership with limited time.

PSA graded 887,000 Item in June, I think they want at least three months backlog as a safe zone for continuity, three months is 2.6 million Item. if they not reach this number they will lower the price.

We have to wait August. If the price returns to $30 in August, it means that they have reached the backlog zone they wanted.

If it has become $18 without limitation it means that there is a possibility that the price will drop more.

5 Likes

I did send over 200 cards last week for the $30 tier. Most of them will be worth above the $18 max value (199) anyhow if they return as a 9 of 10, so they are right were they belong.
However I will send another 100 for $18 which I didn’t want to send for $30.

I hope we will get back a kind of value/cheaper option also. I do have many many reverse cards I wish to get graded.

4 Likes

What kind of stuff are you guys submitting at $18? That will help determine whether I feel the need to also submit my backlog, or if I still have time to wait for a cheaper tier :grimacing:

1 Like

For me mostly EX cards from Ruby & Sapphire up to Power keepers.

4 Likes

I spent a lot of time this weekend going back and forth for my threshold.

I decided on submitting any card that if given one grade lower than I gave it pre-graded, then it would still sell for around $50. So if I think a card is a PSA 8, I’ll look up the PSA 7 price. If it’s less than $50 I passed on it.

There are still many cards that could be worth it considering a majority of cards I’m holding long term, but I couldn’t justify spending 40-50% of the card’s graded value in grading fees.

I may change my mind and send another submission before the special is over though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Mainly modern, vintage English, vintage Japanese? Most of my backlog is oldback Japanese and 2001-2005 Japanese newback

1 Like

Same boat here. I had a lot that made sense at $18 that didn’t at $30. Will have many more that make sense if it goes to $10ish.

4 Likes

Most of what I submitted was various new and old promos and 25th anniversary stuff. A lot of what I held back hoping for cheaper tier is mostly NM-M WOTC and old back Japanese,

1 Like

I sent off 87 cards this morning. Mostly japanese WoTC (base to gym) holos in the 9 to 10 range and a handful of modern stuff in the 9 to 10 range as well. Some of the modern stuff is only worth about $50 to $100 in a 10, but id rather have them in the pipeline then hold my breath that PSA opens up a sub $15 teir for $99.99 or below declared value cards by the end of the year.

4 Likes

I’m shooting for 10s with my subs but I submit based on the value of the 9 grade. Having to guess the final grade to determine what tier you submit at is tricky so I just assume “the worst” and if the cards earn 10s I’m happy to pay upcharges. The other option would be to assume the best and pay for faster turn around times with the acceptance that I’m over paying for the cards that fall short of a 10.

The cards have to be worth at least close to $100 in a 9 for me to include them and I’m trying to include only my strongest cards at $18. Most would be worth $200-300 in a 10.

All that said I’m submitting a range of vintage English (mostly EX) and Japanese (mix of new and old back) along with some Yugioh.

6 Likes

Figured I would link an older thread where people have been waiting for a price point in the $18 range to submit. Will be very interesting to see how many submissions PSA gets in July.

really considering putting together my first PSA submission for this special, only real concern is the cost of the membership + 20 card minimum, which is gonna be ~$600 CAD at least. that’s kinda a shit load of money to come up with in a short period of time for me. IF i do tho, I have some WotC holos, ex era ex cards, japanese promos, etc. I’ll probably be looking to send in.

1 Like

Yeah it’s by no means cheap. I’d say it’s worth it if you have 20 cards that have a real shot at Gem Mint 10, or are safely worth $150 or more post grading.

If you’re grading low value items for personal collection, cards that are worthless in sub 10 grades or long shots I’d just keep waiting

5 Likes

All of the Torchics. All of them.

1 Like

Yeah with many old back Japanese PSA 9 holos dropping to around $50 and below in price, I just don’t think most of them are worth it at $18 grading unless you are absolutely positive you are getting a 10 (and let’s be honest: you can never be sure). There are some obvious exceptions, but I’m holding most of that stuff back until a cheaper tier opens. Maybe I’d send them at $15.

I think what some people also tend to forget is that it’s not just the grading fee that factors into your overall cost. You also purchased the card at some point, and even if it were for something as cheap as $10, you’re already at $28 cost. Then if you plan on selling the card, you have to factor in shipping and eBay fees. Not sure that’s worth it for the rather slim profit that it brings.

3 Likes

How many cards did you or are you all planning submit?