Psa grading- penny sleeves or ultra pro for mint wotcs?

If you had a card worth $100(0)+ if graded 9/10, would you use penny sleeves or thicker ultra pro sleeves when submitting to psa?

Some cards are so prune to scratches.

I know penny sleeves are pretty common, but for your premium minty cards, do you use better then penny sleeves?

Penny sleeves have always been the standard for submissions. They make removing a card effortless but still protect the card, a rigid sleeve would only delay a grader and could create damage when doing so.

3 Likes

Whatever sleeve is the most loose around the card the better in my experience. It’s easier to get the card in and out of a penny sleeves compared to thicker sleeves thereby reducing the potential damage to the cards when being handled.

so penny sleeves especially when sending in for grading I would say.

I think ultra pros have better protection vs. penny sleeves for misc. dust/particles that could create bumps when tightly packed for psa review.

I know penny sleeves are the standard, but yeah that’d apply if you’re grading your mint $2-4 japanese cards(built stronger as well), but I’m not sure if it’s safe to pack bulk with wotc mints in standard penny sleeves. Even the Neo 1st ed 2000’s are very delicate cards

You would think the grader is capable of delicate hands for various plastic sleeve encounters. They should be so pro as they do it as a job, they can get the tight fit ones off without damage, let alone standard thick ultra pro sleeves.

So you grade your $1000+ cards with penny sleeves?

I do, yes.

2 Likes

Let’s say you keep your binder’s premium copies in ultra pro sleeves rather then penny sleeves. You really go through the time to replace those sleeves for a penny sleeve, when submitting to psa? Or are you just penny sleeve all the way from binder to grade

if it’s cards I open from packs myself it’s pack → penny sleeve → card saver and then it sits until I submit like that.
stuff I buy and grade, I always put on a fresh new penny sleeve → card saver and then submit.

1 Like

The penny sleeve bias is strong with you. Not that the process is wrong.

Is it primitive? perhaps. Some sport forums recommend not using penny sleeves at all… from 2017. Can you imagine how much time a grader saves without the penny sleeve?

If he can’t handle putting a card back into penny sleeve without damage, why is he working in that position

I would grade a $50,000 card in a penny sleeve

6 Likes

Do you promote that Penny sleeves are superior to rigid sleeves (inadequate graders could be reason)? I find it fallible and primitive.

dblast, you out too much weight on the graders, haha. We all think like you, but not how the game is played.

In a way, you want to sell to them. Make it as easy as possible, prevent any chance of a card bouncing around and that’s you’re best bet. I use a penny sleeve + a Card Saver for submissions.

1 Like

What is the point of this thread if you already believe ultra pro sleeves are better?

13 Likes

I believe ultra pro sleeves are best for cards going into binders, whereas cards in mint condition being sent in to PSA for grading are best in penny sleeves plus top loaders. That’s my system for storing/protecting my cards and I’d imagine is the same for most collectors.

1 Like

Three out of the four threads this guy started today are only about him wanting confirmation for his opinion. There is no point to any of these.

6 Likes

What is going on, how many threads are you going to make today?

1 Like

^. I´d advice sandpaper

1 Like

penny sleeve and nothing else.

I echo the sentiment that it doesn’t really get better than a penny sleeve in a Card Saver I.

2 Likes