Triple sleeving for maximum protection

Hey guys,

I have some exclusive standard sized illustrated sleeves that I want to keep in pristine condition. Currently, I use them for some of my valuable cards that are in KMC perfect fits. I’m planning to buy some outer sleeves (3rd sleeve) for them but I don’t know which ones to get.

Are regular Ultra pro penny sleeves wide enough to to be used as outer sleeves? I don’t intend to play with them.

Also, are there any portfolio binders that can fit triple sleeved cards?

Thanks

Removed from game sleeves are some of the largest leaves I’ve ever seen you may have some luck there. As for large pocket portfolios, ultimate guard has very large pockets in their binders so you may want to go that route.

Why not just slide them into a semi-rigid/card saver or (sorry Gary) toploader and teambag?

3 Likes

So the first sleeve keeps off scratches. And then the second sleeve keeps out dust. What does the third sleeve protect the card from?

Ghosts? My money is on ghosts.

17 Likes

I’m someone who thinks double sleeves are a bit excessive, but triple sleeves? Never heard of that one before.

More protection makes for less affection

11 Likes

Always go raw :smirk::ok_hand:

6 Likes

I personally prefer binders

@funmonkey54,

It’s meant to protect the sleeves from non-acid free binder pages

Was planning to buy their 4 pocket zipfolio but I heard they had subpar quality control

Get Ultra Pro card pages. Those can fit PSA cards, so a Cardsaver or toploader shouldn’t be a problem.
I think, in the end with all the extra layers of sleeves it will only cause bending, damage and maybe even ink rubbing off. Since the sleeves do interact with eachother ever so slightly.

Giggity

2 Likes

Why not 4 sleeves. Or 5. Then put those into one of the sleeves below. By then it’ll be big enough to fit in a toploader binder pocket;)

All kidding aside, you’re overthinking this brother. One penny sleeve and one card saver will protect your cards 100% for more than a generation:)

2 Likes

@garyis2000,

Cards savers? You mean those flimsy inferior top loaders?

2 Likes

Card savers are awesome protection for your cards. Like Gary said a penny sleeve and a card saver is all you need! I’ve been using this method for years.

Card savers are literally cardboard gold :wink:

1 Like

@zacheggers,

Maybe but I much prefer the convenience that binders provide…

Also from my experience top loaders/hard plastic sleeves aren’t as protective as most people think they are. Yeah, you can’t bend the sides, but the middle of the top loader/cardsaver is very flimsy and can provide a false sense of protection. Another thing is the opening at the top. If you don’t double sleeve, it is very easy for dust/particles to get onto the card. Top loaders also scratch like crazy.

I personally think that a good quality binder is just as safe if you sleeve the cards, and don’t handle the pages like a madman. Toploaders & cardsavers 1 are only good for posting/sending cards to the PSA.

Maybe you should consider a vacuum chamber made from bulletproof glass as a possible solution. Then, cover it with a thick blanket to block out the UV light too.

7 Likes

cards are far more resiliant than ppl give them credit for. penny sleeve and toplosder/ cardsaver is perfect. its when u start taking them out constantly you may run a risk of damage but only marginally.

1 Like

A card can take a gradual bend very easily without any issue. The little bit of flimsiness with normal handling of a card saver with a penny sleeved card inside will never be enough to damage the card inside. I mean obviously you can’t go folding the left top edge to the right top edge or anything, but yeah normal handling will never lead to issues inside a toploader nor a card saver.

1 Like

Aren’t most binders acid free nowadays?

I don’t see the point.

1 Like