PSA error/mislabeling

@mosstastic I’ve done it with JavaScript (Node) but I’m a bit reluctant to share the code (as 1. it’s very messy (I haven’t intended for it to be shared with anyone) and 2. it could be modified to flood PSA with traffic, causing it to get blocked). I’m planning on releasing a tool at some point which allows for easier perusal of PSA’s population data with population changes over time. Here is an example of something I’ve been using the data for recently:

There’s still a lot of work to be done though.

Aside from description inconsistencies I mentioned above, PSA also has a lot of set inconsistencies as well:

• Promo sets are usually copyright year-based, not set-based, however this itself isn’t consistent either: 1999 Promo, 2000-03 Coin Promo, 2017 SM Promo and 2017 XY Promo;
  • Variants often get included in one master set (1999 Pokemon Game includes unlimited, 1st edition and shadowless) and feature the variant as a description (i.e. “1st Edtiion”), but often these get separated at random (Neo Genesis has one set for unlimited and another for 1st Edition, the 1st Edition set doesn’t have “1st Edition” as a description);
  • Like with this thread, PSA often change things like moving cards out of sets completely and occasionally removing sets altogether.

I’m trying to normalise all of that (which is a pain in the ass) - you can see an example in that screenshot I shared above of Unlimited, 1st Edition and Shadowless being treated as separate sets. I’d like to also normalise promo sets, but the thought of that is terrifying!

I’d rather not share any code for now, but if you want to ask questions feel free to reach out.

2 Likes