PSA 9 v BGS 9 Price Comparrasion

Hi all.

What is the sort of price % difference between a PSA 9 & BGS 9 (say Charizard base set).

I’ve been looking through eBay but because of the lack of BGS 9s in the last 6 months I’ve been unable to calculate the price % difference.

Thanks

It is hard to put an exact percentage on it because BGS is so much smaller of a sample size. I’d estimate that 90% of Pokemon Cards graded are PSA graded, not BGS. BGS is worth more than a PSA 9 when it is a 9.5 Gold Label. 10 vs 10 I’d say would go to BGS because it is a lot harder to get a 10 with BGS.

depends on the card but afaik a PSA9 is a little better than BGS9, unless the BGS9 has strong subgrades. BGS10 however is stronger than PSA10. Scott (smpratte on youtube) made a very informative video about this topic.

Grades mean everything with PSA. They mean nothing at Beckett’s imo. Only subs matter at BGS.

1 Like

There’s no right answer to this. I’ve seen BGS 9s look anywhere from PSA 7-10.

What I can tell you is that a BGS 9 will sit on eBay for a while and usually earn quite a bit less than PSA 9. I’d say at least 25% less in most cases.

Not sure why you ask about base Charizard. Just check eBay sold listings and you will get your answer…it’s all over the place from $130-218. You dont get that kind of variance with PSA.

1 Like

PSA 9 is PSA 9. One grade. Even though there is variance among PSA 9’s it is nowhere near as drastic as a BGS 9’s variance. BGS 9 can be made with probably dozens of different subgrade combinations.

You can have a BGS 9 with 10 10 10 8 subs, 9 9 9 9, 8.0 8.5 9 9. Those are very different quality cards that could probably swing anywhere from a PSA 6 to a PSA 10 (if they let BGS 8 centering pass which they have).

Short answer is that PSA 9 is generally quite a bit more valuable and definitely much more liquid than the typical BGS 9 when it comes to Pokemon.

4 Likes

Pretty sure 8, 8.5, 9, 9 is a BGS 8.5, but the main point we are all making is that BGS 9 does have a big range. Sub grades are important and you need to really look at the cards to see what you are given. Also because of the lower pop, it’s very hard to be sure on prices. BGS 9 is, in most cases, cheaper than PSA 9, and there can be a huge difference.

Maybe a nice example:
I have a BGS 9 1st edition Charizard with subs 10/9/9/9. In other words, perfect centering and otherwise minor flaws. To the best of my knowledge this should get a PSA 9 easily but it won’t be a 10.
Personally I really love that is has the 10 centering, the minor flaws it has don’t show that much.
The only thing that bugs me is that all my other cards are PSA and nog BGS :stuck_out_tongue:.

I would grade it higher then a weak PSA 9 but lower compared to a strong one… Just harder to compare because it is all in the sub grades like Gary said.

What would a thick stamp bgs 9 with 9.5,9.5,9,9 subs be valued at?

Probably the same or slightly more than PSA 9. Hard to say without seeing the card. Some gamblers might try to upgrade it to a 9.5.

Beckett isn’t very consistent with Pokemon. I’ve seen 9.5 surface subs have holo scratches or 9.5-10 edges/corners with quite a bit of whitening or silvering.

They’re also very harsh on centering. I have an 8.5 centering card which could totally get a 10 with PSA.

1 Like

If it was to upgrade to a 9.5 with 9.5,9.5,9.5,9 subs, what kind of value increase would it get being a week 9.5?

Well one recently sold for $6k which I think is stupid low.

As I said it depends on the card. If that 9 subgrade is edges or corners it might look like a PSA 8. lol

If it’s the centering that got a 9, it might look like a solid 9/borderline 10.

Just as an example, I’ve seen Shadowless 9.5s sell anywhere from $3000-8000.

1 Like