BGS compared to PSA

I was looking at some cards and notoced a lot of bgs 7/8s have really bad whiting and marks.

They seem like they would grace a 4/5 in PSA.

Why is the quality for bgs under 10 so bad compared to PSA?

Sorry if this has been discussed

3 Likes

I too would like to know. Is it because the staff there are happier, and are reviewing cards whilst high?

4 Likes

A $6000 psa 8 beautiful.

7 Likes

Bgs below grade 9 can range from anything from psa 4 to 9 lmao.

3 Likes

Geez that’s wild

It’s definitely more of the “wild west” when it comes to BGS grading and Pokemon. Grades below 9 or so can be all over the place at times from what I’ve seen. Some can be graded accurately even below a 9 grade, but it really depends on each card at that point. The only area BGS seems to grade harder is centering, whereas PSA can be slightly more lenient at times.

Anyway, no grading company is flawless. You will find “weak” and “strong” grades from all the companies at times. I think most people though would agree that the lower grade PSA cards will be a much more accurate assessment than the same/similar grades from BGS in Pokemon specifically more often than not.

2 Likes

Yeah but bgs is just all over the place. A bgs 7 looks like a played card

An oldie but a goodie from @smpratte:

9 Likes

Agree. I have only observed a couple times where a low grade BGS card even came close to the same/similar PSA grade. Vast majority are no where close usually.

1 Like

Like this is a bgs zard listed at 10k. Front looks okay but the back is just a mess

1 Like

The holo is most likely a mess too. Would have to see a scan to know for sure. I have a PSA 5 1st Ed Charizard that I feel is cleaner on the back and his holo is really quite good too, even for a 5. Easily would be a BGS 7+ if I ever cross-graded I think.

1 Like

Yeah if you zoom in the is staining on the boarders.

Might be worth the cross over

1 Like

lol yeah nobody ever buys lower bgs grades. They used to be nice and told you exactly when they stopped caring with the label color. Even then I dont know a single person who ever went after 8.5s outside of base 1st ed holos or trophies.

It was nice that we didnt have any of those psa 1 “lOw pOp” type sellers but its really not worth it. They look awful and I dont think anyone goes after them, its not really like they compare where some people collect psa 7s, nobody has ever even dreamed of going after bgs 7s (unless it was a big trophy type card).

it sounds wild to a psa collector I am sure, but honestly I dont really disagree that 99% of the below 8.5 cards are not “investable” but I know that will set off some people. It would have been blasphemous to suggest such a thing a few years ago in the pandemic but to me it is super clear where the market is heading and that is away from anything that isnt a 9 or 10 (in terms of value and holding some premium over raws)

2 Likes

How do you feel your bgs 9s look compared to psa 9s and cgc 9s if you had/have them? I really find cgc edges psa on these.

lol many of my bgs 9s are ex psa 8s.

HOWEVER my bgs 9 collection is entirely eseries holos which are notoriously easy to grade. I have had much less success crossing base from psa to bgs. Anybody who tries to generalize BGS as stronger than psa is just not correct. BGS has its benefits but the blind loyalty is completely unsubstantiated. I personally would probably still buy BGS over psa but that was never because I was thinking I was getting a higher quality card, it was mostly due to the slab cost and label color/lack of bar codes. I love using cgc and bgs because to me the psa “premium” is not worth paying. It comes down to my personal opinions on paying for conditional rarity I guess

1 Like

When I put my psa sub in I deliberately put in 2 rares with micro scratching on them. At some point I intended sharing but wanted more grading under my belt with them first. Got a psa 10 and a psa 9 with them. TBC lol.

The 10 10 :joy: @smpratte that had me rolling. Let’s call it PSA 11

1 Like

We need an updated version of this great vid. Psa, bgs and cgc.

I think at this point most people have picked their camp and would rather burn their collection than grade somewhere else

1 Like

I like how we have that one and then the one TCA showed on Instagram where the bottom was like half the size of this one.

PSA has been a lot tougher than BGS for me so far this year. I’ve had multiple cards I crossed from BGS to PSA where I got a full point lower.