BGS vs PSA for mid grades in higher value cards

So I have run searches for this. I know it has come up over and over in discussion.

But I think this case is slightly different.

In cards with a really low pop. Where grades can tend to make big differences in price. Is it better to go with BGS and get the sub grades and likely a higher grade for a 6-7 level card?

For example. I have a card I think will get a psa 6. But looking at other examples of the same card, I think it could get a BGS 7 fairly easily. Will BGS kill the value that much?

It’s a NO rarity Charizard. I really want a 7 lol. But I don’t want that to be a deterrent if I decide to upgrade to an 8 and want to sell it.

People who want to sell cards in mid-level condition have been figuring out that BGS is the way to go. PSA 6s are easily translating to BGS 8.5s / BGS 9s. PSA 7s hitting BGS 9s all day. PSA 8s bordering on BGS 9.5s.

And a lot of people seem to be paying up because they perceived BGS 9s as being close to the equivalent of PSA 9s.

I would never buy sub-BGS 9.5s for this reason but people are definitely realizing that submitting these cards to BGS is a good way to maximize profits.

4 Likes

I feel the No rarity is graded on a big curve with both.

I know this wouldn’t get higher than a 7.5 either way.

But I was after the number for myself lol.

What you are saying is a confirmation for me though. Seems like it’s not going to kill its value.

Is it better to go with subs or without for a card that’s going to be in this range?

This BGS 8 zard has the ugliest back I’ve seen in a while.

www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemon-Game-1st-Edition-Holo-Charizard-4-BGS-8-NM-MT/353207542621?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I haven’t seen a PSA8 anywhere close to this.

12 Likes

Both companies have different standards and should be taken differently, no point comparing or crossing imaginary grades. BGS cards are worth less than PSA cards, period (at least in Pokemon). With that in mind do whatever you like with the card

1 Like

I noticed this as well. REALLY UGLY!! That would be like a PSA 6, maybe 7 on a good day depending on front surface. People buying BGS under 9.5 grade are just buying numbers and not cards…

3 Likes

This guy’s Instagram account is extremely revealing.

www.instagram.com/amtsupply/

12 Likes

That’s what I’m struggling with. The price difference between a psa 6/7 could be 1200$

Do I lose 1200$ in going with BGS over psa? That’s the question I ask myself. It’s hypothetical though, because I won’t sell it, unless I already have purchased a cleaner example of the card.

1 Like

Wow I didn’t realize that 7 could go to 9.5s. I have never touched beckett regardless.

Haha. And this is what I’m afraid of I guess.

I’m guessing there are lots of people who will NOT buy a BGS

1 Like

There are definitely people willing to buy Beckett cards. I would say anything under a bgs 9 is harder to sell though.

1 Like

For something like this I think taking the time to find the right buyer is more important than the case the card is in

1 Like

yeah, those psa 7s going to bgs 9.5 is pretty surprising. i would love to see the cards in person. i’ve never submitted for psa, but have a few times with bgs. for vintage, i’ve tried to see if my strong psa 9s would cross-over to bgs 9.5. all failed…

1 Like

is this a PSA 5/6 selling for PSA 8 prices?

www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemon-Game-1st-Edition-Holo-Charizard-4-BGS-8-NM-MT/353207542621?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

man, are we going to see people buying PSA 4/5/6 cards regrading with BGS at 7.5-9 and making thousands? this could turn ugly…

Let’s put this another way lol. Thanks for all the opinions.

Let’s say you are offered a trophy Kanga or illustrator.

Both appear close in condition. Same price. One is a psa 5 one is a bgs 7

Which do you buy

you gotta buy the card, so look at the photos or meet up in person if possible.

1 Like

PSA - why?

-majority of my collection is PSA (but with a few BGS sprinkled in tbf)
-better/more complete population report and therefore better price record, especially for these high value items
-the beckett label is horrendous <8.5

1 Like

psa 5

1 Like

I guess my quest for a no rarity Zard in 7 continues.

I have been struggling with this for a few weeks. I’ll roll with PSA, and pay the premium to get it back. Going to frame a venusaur a blastoise and this together

A factor that should be considered is that psa doesn’t currently grade the no rarity venusaur