BGS vs PSA for mid grades in higher value cards

On this post everyone is referencing : https://instagram.com/p/CD6TOQIlFMc

I don’t know why the instagram comments are saying that PSA is pop controlling Japanese Jungle. Are they kidding or?

1 Like

Yes I know, I don’t care if the cases match.

I am sending the venusaur off next week. It would likely be a psa 7/8

I think it will grade the same with BGS because it’s OC

The blastoise is a psa 8

1 Like

Just sold my 1st ed shining zard on ig and dude had it flipped from psa 6 to bgs 8.5 in a day. So yeah their quality is all over the place. But if a higher number makes you feel better then 8.5>6 everyday of the week.

simlpy ask yourself why 99% of BGS graded cards on ebay say “PSA 10?” in the title

1 Like

Instagram comments are like seafloor creatures; they shouldn’t see the light of day. :wink:

7 Likes

I started thinking about this after watching some of Leonhart’s “guess the grade” video’s. Looking at some of the cards coming back a 9 really made me lose faith in BGS.

That being said, think about something like the Masaki Mark. I personally have a gengar that could be at least PSA 8/9 but it has the Masaki mark. I may use BGS, just because to me it is that grade and the mark has no decrease to value, especially since it’s so prevalent and the mark even has a name. I personally wouldn’t BUY a BGS 9 copy, but I’ll definitely keep it in that case to show it’s actually quality aside from the mark. If I were to buy one, I’d still ask for pictures.

I have many cards that are actually really really nice cards that could be PSA 9/10. BUT they have one mark that destroys the grade entirely so I have to list it as LP or something.

For those reasons, as long as the card is actually close to perfect, but with only one damning mark, I’d go BGS. However, there are some cards coming out of BGS that I’m just blown away, even by the subgrades. What looks to me to be edge wear worthy of a PSA 6 is getting a sub grade of an 8 or 9. Or scratching that drops the card to a 7 with no other damage is receiving an 8 sub grade. Don’t know if those examples are factual, but I recall my reaction to Leon’s videos as being that.

That Instagram account is revealing, I guess they are easier to get a higher grade at BGS.I also read that edge wear matters the least for both companies.I have a PSA 10 card with a bit edge wear on one side , it can move in the case a bit, if I move the card so that it is leaning on that side you can’t see the edge wear at all as the thick plastic is hiding it. BGS cards have no where to hide edge wear as the thick plastic inside the case in so far away.PSA case the bottom side is always hiding if has edge wear there and the sides can be hidden if have a little edge wear thanks to the thick plastic covering it

well edges did get graded a seven on a sub grade. Are you saying the edges should of got graded a 6 ?

If both are in same condition and price, I would rather go with PSA. I like PSA standards of grading better and all graded cards I own are in PSA cases.

BGS in anything less than a 9 (and sometimes even a 9) is just a way to deceive buyers with false advertising of the cards true condition.

2 Likes

I called BS to the Instagram user posting these regrades.

They refused to make a short (3 second) video showing the front and back of the same card with the BGS grade in the same frame…

They conveniently don’t show the color of the label in the pics where they show the back of the cards…

They use suspicious language such as “I have nothing to prove” when literally their entire IG page is dedicated to attempting to “prove” a very specific point.

Caveat Emptor.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, in one of the posts, I did see a small part of the back of the label… and it was WHITE, when the card was supposedly a “9” which should have a silver label. :thinking:

#BeckettGate

1 Like

It’s not like this is coming out of no where.

Look up PSA 7 cards eBay. Check the whitening on the backs. Then look up BGS 7s on eBay and check the whitening on the backs. For the most part, it’s not even a competition between the quality of the cards.

You can do this on and on down the line for each grade.

It’s not that BGS is doing anything bad here. People just need to realize that PSA X does not equal BGS X.

Basically, both PSA and BGS keep a strict standard for their top grades, but it takes more damage for cards to fall down on the BGS scale.

1 Like

As harsh as it may sound this is largely true

Well the buyers kinda deceive themselves when they won’t acknowledge that they use two different scales. Just like 8 centimeters simply isn’t the same as 8 inches, if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Buy the wiener card, not the grade.

How many cards are initially submitted to PSA, come back with a lower than expected grade, then cracked and submitted to BGS where the grade gets bumped up 2-3 spots? I’d be willing to bet quite a few. When it comes to WOTC era, I’d bet more than 50% of the BGS cards were originally in PSA cases.

Fair enough, not arguing on that point. I mainly wanted to make a penis joke :blush:

1 Like

I haven’t read the thread, but as someone who has had experience with both companies I would call a psa 7 to bgs 9.5 an outlier. The 8 and lower grades for BGS can be rough, but their 9-10 grades are pretty good where the difference isn’t comparable to psa. It’s a different type of grade is probably more accurate, with the standard BGS 9 is easier to get then the psa 9 which is easier then the BGS 9.5 which is easier than the psa 10 which is easier to get than the BGS 10.

Psa lower grades are more consistently harder to achieve then BGS grades. I don’t have comparisons for those grades as it’s really hard to compare, and better to understand how the companies grade.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree that the scales are different, in the way you described. I just think this one IG user is being deceitful. And I believe I have proof. But I’m not trying to make a big issue out of it or anything. Just a fair warning to those who might make decisions based on the info.

1 Like

I have observed that BGS 10 > PSA 10 > BGS 9.5 > PSA 9 > BGS 9 = PSA 8

This tends to be why value follows this exact trend typically. After BGS 9 the grades are a crap shoot and bounce all over. For consistent grading up and down you should go with PSA.

Definitely agree with this as a general rule. In my mind when I see a BGS 9 with sub-grades of all 9, it seems to generally be about the same quality of a typical PSA 8. And the discrepancy gets worse from there.