BGS Question

Just thought I’d ask a quick question regarding BGS 9s, and more specifically their subgrades.
I have been looking for a PSA 9 GS Charizard, and been offered a BGS 9, the subgrades are:
Centering 9.5
Edges 9.5
Corners 9
Surface 9

I guess this would be seen as a ‘Strong’ BGS 9 as it’s only .5 away from being given Gem Mint. My question is should this fetch a similar price to a PSA 9? Or perhaps a little more or alittle less? I have little to no experience with BGS, so a little unsure on the going rate, and what a fair price would be. Sales data for BGS is few and far between, especially with similar subs.

Any help appreciated!

Typically a BGS 9 fetches less than a PSA 9 but with strong subgrades this can change. Personally - surface is the most important followed by edges. With surface being a 9 and corners being a 9 I would put this in the “less than a psa 9 price” category. But BGS misgrades all the time - so make sure to make this decision based on the card and not the grade when buying. Best of luck.

2 Likes

Less than PSA 9 even tho its a strong BGS 9

1 Like

I think it should be the same price, if not more, than a PSA 9. That is how it often is in more mature and established markets (sports), and with time, Pokémon should catch up to the same, too.

1 Like

You always have to ask yourself why is any Charizard in a BGS case and not PSA

1 Like

I can only assume in this case they were going for the 9.5 Gem Mint, which it almost got

Yeah that’s how I would prioritise the sub grades. I have studied pics of the front and can’t see any print lines or scratches (obviously hard to tell just looking at pics), so not sure how strictly BGS grades the surface. I know psa 9s can have a couple of feint scratches and/or print lines.