PSA 9 Charizard Unlimited, lots of silver chipping

so I got a psa 9 charizard unlimited for 100$ the other day. just came in.

the card has a LOT of very noticeable silver chipping along the left edge. not very happy with it. it is also an old psa case, and the card is coming out of the plastic sleeve at the top o.0

I understand silvering is a thing, but the way it looks basically jagged and pitted along that edge takes away a LOT of appeal. nothing in the description mentioned anything about it, and the pictures of the listing were taken in a way to hide this silvering.

do you think there are grounds to message the seller and discuss a possible refund? will get some pictures when I get home from work

I think issues of this sort should be taken up with PSA personally. The seller graded with PSA and PSA gave their professional opinion with that being a 9. Barring massive amounts of regrading to achieve a grade it didn’t deserve, I wouldn’t really place blame on the seller. I don’t think that would be the case with a $100 PSA 9 charizard. Perhaps you could post the listing photos and then your own to compare/contrast? Intent would still be hard to prove whether they were trying to hide damage. I have graded in the past a couple 10’s with more silvering than I thought they should have, but that is the only time I can recall ever detailing issues with a graded card besides case issues. That really stuck out to meat the time so I mentioned it, but I see it more and more now even on 10’s at times.

I have sold several 10’s/9’s where the buyer didn’t agree with the grade. Back whitening, edge silvering, off center etc. I never try to hide anything, but I also don’t go out of my way analyzing and detailing in every listing why I think each card received the grade that it did and whether or not I think it was proper. I simply try to upload hi res images of both sides and multiple angles and let the buyer review it themselves. I don’t think it is reasonable for anyone to expect anything more from a seller, and even in the case of poor photos it is kind of a risk you took IMO.

6 Likes

I agree with this. When I list PSA cards, I list them with clear pictures & as a graded card by psa with the grade the card received. There is this newer notion of “Oh well its a weak 9, I don’t want it” or “You didn’t describe WHY it’s a 9!”(both of which I have had in the past month). I understand, I don’t like weak grades in my collection either, but its tough to blame the seller. I don’t describe why its a certain grade, because I don’t 100% know. Sure if the card has a glaring issue like a dent or something that PSA somehow overlooked, I will clearly state that. Other than that, its not my responsibility to explain a PSA 9 with more description than that, its exactly what you’re getting.

Can you ask for a refund? Sure, go for it. But PLEASE don’t request a partial, that is just pure scum. You bought a 9 and you received a 9, its EXACTLY what you paid for. I don’t blame you if you want to return, or keep it and sell it and buy a better version, but a partial in this instance isn’t fair to the seller in the least.

1 Like

Not the sellers fault, I definitely get annoyed when people complain about the condition not matching the grade. Don’t buy PSA graded cards if you don’t agree with what PSA graded them at. This is why I pay PSA to grade the cards so I don’t have to!

3 Likes

@joetehman IMO not even a return/refund is called for in this situation.

Again it would really have to be taken case by case as with anything, but IMO as long as the seller isn’t:

1. Intentionally leaving out a photo or obscuring things in photos to avoid showing any defect
  2. Calling it a “POSSIBLE 10 REGRADE NOT CHARIZARD GOLD STAR” in the description or title
  3. A high $$$ card that was multiple times regraded to earn it’s grade e.g.(8, 8, 8, 8, 9, or an 8.2 as some would call it).

The first point we would need to see the listing and even then we could only guess. The second point is the only one that would clearly stand out and warrant a return/negative feedback and the 3rd case we again could only speculate as some portion of 9’s are “8.2’s” that just catch the 9 on the first grade with luck.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t request a partial refund for sure.

if that is the request of some people I respect here than I guess I will keep it… I will definitely be selling it myself though. one of the things that bothers me the most is that it is literally coming out of the sleeve, which it was definitely not in the pictures

I have around 200 base unlimited Charizards, graded and ungraded, and all have that silvering from when it was cut at the factory. All 30 of my 10s have it and all 5 of my BGS 9.5s have it. I did have two w/o it that looked great and sent them to becketts hoping for a 10. I got a 9 and a 9.5 lol.

1 Like

noted, thank you for more advice

Talk to PSA and they will probably put it in a new case for free if you send pictures.

1 Like

hmm this is a very good idea, thank you :blush:

Can you not send it to psa and if they agree it deserves a lower grade then they will regrade it and also offer some sort of compensation for the value lost?

If you send the graded card in for ‘reholder’ then the grade does not change.

You can but you have to pay for a regrade if it doesn’t drop which in this case it almost definitely wouldn’t. If it drops they would pay you under their financial guarantee of grade and authenticity. I have had a few cards go that route, but I doubt many do overall. It mentions in the fine print that it doesn’t apply to the original submitter, but I was in my situation. The financial guarantee really only applies when you find a blatant misgrade like a crease on a card graded 9/10. Other than that if a card if minorly overgraded I doubt they would ever go against a previous grader’s judgement and bump the card down a single grade.

Back to this card though, as NZG said he has a ton of charizards at 9/10 with this silvering as almost all of them had it to some extent. I have graded 9’s/10’s with the same. Nothing wrong with the card in the OP except the fact that it is falling out of the sleeve. I am not sure how they treat that situation. @fazool report back if you send a photo over to them with what they reply. It is an interesting situation.

1 Like

I’ll post pics, but I recently won a PSA 10 Neo Destiny Houndoom Holo, and I was surprised by the silvering, thinking it surely wouldn’t deserve a 10 with that…

1 Like

That silvering shouldn’t affect the grade at all. Years ago I had a grader tell me that if the card was a borderline 9 or less then he’d take that into consideration. Ofcourse he wouldn’t change a 10 cause they get double checked.