What makes a card a PSA 8, 9, or 10?

I saw this listing on eBay for a PSA 9 Hyper Rare Charizard. The description said, word for word

Check out all that edge whitening on the top and both sides. I’m wondering what makes this a PSA 9 because it has so much edge whitening, which is what really hurts a card’s grade! His description says he thinks it should be a gem mint :open_mouth: (Is he being sarcastic) According to PSA standards, no card should have this much edge whitening. I’m thinking this is more like a PSA 7, maybe even an 8. Maybe this is a tampered replaced case? IF this is a true PSA 9, it makes my dented Genesect look like a 10, lol.

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-PSA-9-Charizard-GX-Hyper-Rare-FA-Burning-Shadows-150-147-WOW-Regrade/163047983978?hash=item25f66acb6a:g:cAgAAOSw7fBa-iSM Here’s the listing.

I understand there are other factors besides edge wear that determines a grade, but the edge wear alone is bad!
I asked this question because I’m curious about PSA grades and how they work!

www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards/

the card you posted does look to be 8 worthy. Occasional over-grades and under-grades do happen.

Q: What makes a card a PSA 8, 9, or 10?

A: The grader.

Seriously, but that’s why submitting re-grades are a thing if you disagree.

3 Likes

That Charizard Hyper Rare has some bad grades I don’t know why I’ve had 2 that should’ve been 8 or 9 and came back 10. I was sure to point out to the buyers that they were very weak 10s

Some whitening is a lot different to a dent, that whitening looks more like an 8 than a 9, sometimes mistakes happen. Also remember that description is written by someone that is trying to sell something to you, of course the card isn’t a 10 it has no regrade potential, they’re just trying to prey on someone that might actually believe them and buy their item.

Does make sense. It will make the buyer think “Oh wow it has PSA 10 potentional omg omg I should buy it so i can resend it in and get a 10 omg that sounds like fun” so they spend $100 only to get a weak PSA 9. they send it in and then it cmoes back a 7 or 8. But of course the seller is going to say its good even though its not, because why lose a potentional buyer? They would not say “IT’s a PSA 9 but I think it deserves lower” then no one would buy it. It’s called marketing.

It seems to be the same thing for SM60 Charizard GX Full Art too, easy graded. I wouldnt be surprised that the one I own would come back a 10 despite a bit of edge wear.
I was browing some Charizard GX Hyper Rare and Full Art promo PSA 10 and saw a bit of edge wear on a few. They seem very easy to grade.

… no, because if someone actually falls for something like that they deserve to lose money

No, not a 7. Either an 8 or weak 9.

I’m surprised people are will to pay 200 for a psa 9!

People will pay anything for Charizard it seems

Just grade your cards and see what happens

This listing belongs in the eBay garbage thread. Way overstates the quality and rarity of the card. There’s 700+ PSA 9/10s out in the wild with the majority being 10s.

Not my card

Exactly.

Getting pretty tired of people tearing down PSA cards in listings and messages on ebay. Listen, I understand this guy is overstating his card blah blah, regrade and that is trash and all, this isn’t really about that.

But I am getting significantly more messages from people asking me whats wrong with my PSA 9 or 10 cards and then telling me they see a white spot on my 10 and telling me its not worth a 10 price. Fine, you have your opinion, and PSA has theirs. Buy the card not the grade, sure. Don’t like how my 10 looks, don’t buy it.

Don’t tell me my 10 isn’t a 10 and is worth 25% less than other 10s because YOU see a white spec. I am not selling you a 10 at 25% of the value because you nitpicked a spec and want the 10 for your collection. Half the time its people just wanting a better deal and couldn’t care less if its not a perfect 10 or wanting to flip. I am not PSA, I am not required to defend the grade, if its soft, its soft. I can tell you what I see, but I cannot tell you WHY its a 10 and not a 9 or if I missed anything. I can do nothing about it. It seems to be this whole new thing where people are trying to get significantly lower prices on 10s because THEY see something they don’t like about it and THEY deem it not a 10. Again thats fine, DON’T BUY THE CARD.

Sorry for the rant, but this is getting out of control in the past couple months. If I am selling a PSA graded card, it is to take all self opinion out of my hands, to let someone else with a standard decide what condition its in. Strong and weak grades exist, getting great looking cards for your collection is important, but again if you dislike a card and disagree with the grade, just don’t buy it!

5 Likes

That’s basically on the other end of the spectrum, where instead of people who have PSA 8-9 state that their card can be regraded for a 10, sellers with a PSA 10 are asked to reduce their prices because the card doesn’t look like it deserves a 10.

I mentioned this in other threads, but this is basically a symptom of the buying vs selling fallacy, and the “buy the card not the grade” issue that we’ve all been having. Buyers tend to stick to the “buy the card and not the grade” idea because if they just blindly buy the card as-is and find some imperfections on it, some people will crap on them by saying that you should have asked for more detailed pictures and the grade does not matter. This cues a lot of people doing a crap ton more due diligence now and “haggle” for better prices of a PSA 10. PkmnFlyingMaster just had a thread speaking about this and it was clear that there was a divide of people saying that he should have asked more questions about the card and question the quality of it instead of looking at the grade, versus people buying the grade of the card.

On the other hand, most sellers will sell on the grade and less on the card because as you have mentioned, that’s the whole point of it getting PSA graded so that most of the subjectivity is eliminated. Another nuance is that they may not have another option…PSA 10s aren’t all that common for certain cards and sometimes they have no choice but to choose an imperfect PSA 10.

Unfortunately this is crappy for both sides but the regrading for a 10 is pretty much one of the reasons that make buyers even more paranoid when buying a PSA 10.

1 Like

I don’t think so - what I really think is that it’s much more difficult to spot the flaws of a card when it’s inside a PSA case.

I remember when I sent in my Japanese Gold Star Charizard. I knew it was in a condition that would make it a 6 or 7. When it came back to me and it got a 7, I started to look it over and thought “wtf this card looks to be in a better condition what I thought it was when I sent it in”. But then when I started to look it over from various angles I found the defects. The case really manages to hide some imperfections like scratches and so on.

(Which is also why in many cases I think when people get their cards back from PSA and get a worse grade than they expected, they can’t find the defects because they don’t know where to look at exactly through the case)

2 Likes

Valid points. Be paranoid, be observant, but do not get angry if the seller missed something when asked for more pictures or for someone to look over the card. I am not spending 20mins looking over a PSA 9/10 card to let someone know everything I see unless its worth a very high price (which usually means they just want to regrade a 9 anyways). I’ve done that before I sent it in, PSA employees did it, and there are clear pictures on my listings. We all know cards in PSA cases can be tough to see certain things with glare etc. I know if I pre-grade the card and submit to PSA, I only do it if I see a 10 chance, so I can only guess why some get 9s and some get 10s. 10s aren’t perfect, we all know. But disagreeing with the grade and trying to get a discount knowing full well you want it for your collection or to flip for profit is just a dick move.

2 Likes

show me one 7 that looks better than a 10.

6 Likes