Products exclusive to a specific country

Hello everyone! I just recently created an account here, and I wanted to share and also find out about something I think is super neat. We all know about the standard japanese-english stuff that gets pretty much replicated one-to-one on every country where pokémon is a thing. But sometimes the people in charge at a certain country just wanted to do things in a certain way, and in the end we get these really niche things that just don’t get the attention they deserve. So I’m here to show some of the things I know, and I hope you guys can add other stuff as well.

Vivillion Cards (not sure if this counts but the list is mine so now it does)

So I’m not too sure if any of you guys played Pokémon X/Y, but this mon had this gimmick where it’s wing patterns would change depending on the location you set your 3DS in. All-in-all it had 18 patterns you could get, and they tried to incorporate this in the TCG by adding 6 regional variants to (almost, the French variant of the pattern on the game became the standard one so now they get nothing) every language the cards are printed on.

Chinese Kanto Starters Box

For the 25th anniversary of the franchise the chinese branch decided to release themed boxes containing each of the OG trio including a playmat featuring the box art, some packs from the asian version of celebrations and the acknowledgement of plastic card encasement enjoyers with a display case. It comes with some of the Classic Collection cards as promos, gotta say I’m a bit jealous they got the charizard just like that in the box.

Indonesian KFC

So, apparently KFC in Indonesia ran a campaign that would give a booster with a random card with every Kid’s Meal (KFC Chaki Kids Meal) on March 21. And they had all had one thing that made them special. A KFC bucket stamp.

They even have a KFC Charizard there, this set is honestly a banger.

Latin American rayquaza deck

This one is very dear to me, as they were very much a part of my childhood, and it’s probably the most obscure thing I have on this tiny list. And I happen to know a lot about this, so my time to shine.
In the 2000s the license for distribution of the cards in many latin american countries (and Portugal) was under a Brazilian book publisher named Devir. And the way they handled theme decks on the EX era was very… distinct. Instead of the bulky trapezian-y box we’re used to, it was a more normal looking box featuring standard ken Sugimori art of the featured Pokémon.

They are pretty much an admitedly less cool copy of their english counterparts, with one very singular exception. During the EX Emerald era two decks were printed in English, one featuring Milotic and another Manectric. Two decks were also released by the publisher, and on one they tought Manectric wasn’t cool enough to be the centerpiece of their product so they just added a rayquaza to it (a great choice).

I happen to have this particular sealed deck but it’s on a box inside a box on my top shelf, so this will have to do until I fight my laziness to get it.

And for the super exclusive deck they decided to make, by hand, it features the best pokémon of all. Try to guess. Yes, the answer is obvious. It could have only been Exploud.

Fun fact, the Ho-Oh deck undersold in the spanish-speaking countries and oversold in Brazil, so to cut costs on the reprint they repacked the Spanish deck and just printed the packaging and the booklet itself. They put a sticker on it to assure customers only SOME of the product was spanish.

I also have this deck so the high quality pic of the deck will come… someday.

If you’re interested I can make a list of every deck released like that.

But now, what are some some other cards or products that have a regional flair? An exclusive stamp, a different packaging or maybe even an actual different product, everything counts. I’m sure there’s a LOT of stuff out there.

9 Likes

Products that immediately come to my mind are:

Simplified Chinese exclusive ADP, Lillie and Eeveelution boxes

German exclusive 2010 advent calendar
Pokemon66

French exclusive 2013 McDonald’s promos

Note that France also received different larger McDonald’s promo sets in 2018 and 2019 than the other languages.

4 Likes

For exclusive products there are A LOT, so I won’t go over them now, since I don’t have too much time.

But for non-English/Japanese exclusive artworks, apart from the Vivillon you’ve already mentioned, there are:

Also, here is a similar thread for just the cards, with non-English/non-Japanese exclusive holo variations and stamped cards, as well as some Jumbos: Non English/Non Japanese Exclusives.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Also, based on the title “Products exclusive to a specific country”, although it isn’t exactly what you mean:

• The Spanish Burger King 2008 set was exclusively released in Argentina, but never in Spain nor other Spanish-speaking countries.
  • There are Some French cards which were exclusively released in Canada, and not in France nor Belgium
  • There are some Spanish cards exclusively released in the Latin American countries (Argentina, Mexico, Chile), but not in Spain
  • There are some Portuguese cards exclusively released in Brazil, but not in Portugal
  • There are some German cards exclusively released in Switzerland, but not in Germany
  • There are two English cards exclusively released in Sweden and Denmark, and one more English card exclusively released in Sweden
  • There are a bunch of English cards exclusively released in the US; some exclusively in Canada; and some exclusively in the UK
  • The Pikachu Worlds Collection 2000 containing nine Pikachu in different languages was released in Australia
  • etc.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

The eeveelution boxes are adorable! Thank you for sharing, I really want them on my collection now.

1 Like

Guess I underestimated quite a bit how many things there are out there hahah. But thank you for sharing those cards, they are beautiful. Also no idea this thread existed, guess we can mostly focus on sealed boxes here then.

1 Like

Trading for the Vivillion at that years worlds was fun.

1 Like

Love the S chinese boxes, gonna have to pick up a few! I hope they will release more like those in the future sets

1 Like

Along with the Chinese starter boxes you posted, I know that at the very least there’s an Umbreon version that came out for that too. I bought one myself.

1 Like

Hello!
Yes, the decks exists in Spanish. It’s just that they are extremely difficult to find, even more so than the Portuguese one.
They made only six decks, the Gardevoir/Blaziken/Swampert/Sceptile from EX Ruby Safire and the Lugia/Ho-Oh ones from EX Unseen Forces.
My friend happens to own the Gardevoir one, so here they are:

1 Like