Price check - Gray stamp 1st ed PSA 10 Charmander

not sure how to value the gray stamp, have an offer in on it and want to see if it’s fair. I wasn’t planning on selling but the offer is a bit more than I expected (I didn’t post it for sale, they approached me offering $5,000)

I think it’s a really niche feature. I’ve seen it affect prices in both directions. I’ve had 1st edition base cards that sell lower because the bidders aren’t really into the grey stamp, but I’ve had BIN offers a bit higher than usual.

I don’t think it’s ever been an exceptionally sought after variant that now or will in the future consistently command an unusually high price above normal 1st. I think the holos are more in demand.

$5,000 is an amazing offer IMO. If it was my card and I already made the decision to list it and part with it, I’d take it.

Edit: I see you hadn’t posted it for sale, so I can see how the decision may be more difficult. Objectively speaking, it’s a great offer. That said, in this market, who knows in 2 months if $5000 will be the floor for PSA 10. I’d say be very sure you are okay parting with it.

2 Likes

5K is a good offer.

Take it if you need the money, keep it if you dont.

2 Likes

same got offered 4k for my charmeleon grey stamp psa 10 as well.

Not ready to sell it tho. Know i will prob never get another one and it’s a card i pulled/graded makes it’s even harder to let it go.

Good luck with your decision. i would say 5k atm seems more than fair for an offer. Just no telling if 5k will be the floor for them down the road is all.

1 Like

This premium for a gray stamp thing seems new, had never seen it until this aside from GemMintPokemon offering a premium for it.

If it were me, I would take the money and buy another Charmander for $3k in a heartbeat.

I used to have a lot of grey stamps but sold them and replaced them because I just didn’t like them.

I’ve said this recently - grey stamps are not a true stamp variant like thick and thin, it’s just varying degrees of the printer being low on ink. I don’t get the appeal.

1 Like

I agree with above ^

Also the printer didnt just turn grey straight away, so how do we know when it goes from black to grey?

I have a grey stamp available if you back out. :blush:

Grey 10 non holos are very tough to find and deserve the premium IMO

1 Like

i would pay a small premium for grey stamp too (and I have), it’s rare and harder to fake too

or put it another way, there hasn’t been an instance where the grey stamp sold for less than the full colored stamp.

Was just going to say this. I personally like gray stamps a lot, but the problem is that there is no “official” distinction for a gray stamp like, say, No Symbol Jungle. Due to the variations, what some may consider a gray stamp may not even be recognized by someone else. Let’s face it: while there are some genuinely faded out stamps that have a gray coloration, some of these “gray” stamps are really just a light black.

People go nuts for “error” cards like printer dots, stains, crimps, mc, color, holo, pretty much anything with to do with the printer messing up the card in some way lol. So no surprise that grey stamp falls into that niche category as well that hard core collectors might go after once they have completed a main goal.

1 Like

Buying rationale is broken right now. Put it this way, none of your fellow collectors or friends you share the hobby with will likely ever make you that offer again or any time soon. Once the hunger has been met by the new found individuals looking to build up collections or positions in some cards and sets which is being fed by the dozens of middle men who are *personally* advising these uneducated investors / new hobbyists on what they should be picking up, the demand AT certain prices will dry up.

Markets go from being highly efficient to highly inefficient (nothing like what is going on here, but certain recent historical movements have proven this possible — Crypto bubble / TSLA stonks movement of last 12 months etc. ) frequently. Once the market regains efficiency, and things like pop reports, speculation on how many are pack fresh raw sitting ungraded or bulk, and actual rarity / investor and collector appeal for minor variations (in this case all the people commenting who aren’t newbie collectors seem to agree that the variation is both not rare nor is it a true highly sought after variant) and seemingly you might actually be agreeing as you have had to come here and second guess yourself, any new prices paid for things that are just not all that exciting nor rare, will likely not be met again (at least in the short term).

So, bottom line, for someone to be offering you 5k, it is likely because they have an offer a bit higher for them to secure some profit. No one and I mean no one who is a long time and true collector right now is buying anything that has risen exponentially to hold long term. It’s fulfilling and middleing/sourcing items for someone else. The same way someone sold your exact card for 4K, to allow a new price of 4.5 or 5k, someone will sell at 5k to likely push the price up one notch higher. Could be you could be someone else.

BUT there will also come a time where someone WILL be on the losing end or feeling they missed the right timing and you will regret not taking what was offered to you (can go both ways right). Someone above mentioned if you needed the money, that’s not the real issue here because I’m sure everyone can use an extra 5 dimes, but unless the card holds some sentimental value as in you pulled it yourself or was from an old binder kept in pristine condition and you hand personally graded it etc. Where wether the card goes down to 1$ or not it wouldn’t change your mind, I would highly consider how you would feel if the card was no longer and never going to earn you a 5k offer ever again, how you would feel.

Unless you had it as a collection goal, I believe you will feel a bit of regret for not having sold it. Take the 5k and use your smart and educated collector and investor profile who has been at this for much longer than a few weeks and put it towards something or multiple other items that may currently be underpriced or that you deem to be undervalued and “sleepers” in terms of future demand by analyzing everything from pop reports, to the artwork, to the actual scarcity and rarity, etc. Where you will have a card or card(s) that will be highly desired by your fellow collectors as well down the line. Think about it.

You didn’t miss the train, just don’t forget to get off at the right station.

2 Likes