Possible error card - thoughts?

Hey guys, a coworker/good buddy of mine sent me these pics today from his cousin who decided to take out his old binder. There was nothing of value in the binder but this snorlax stood out. He told me that his cousin said it was pulled directly from a fossil pack and that he was pissed as a kid because the holo was missing lol

That being said I don’t know really anything about errors and just wanted to see if this is a real deal error, if it’s rare, and if there is interest out there for cards like it. Thanks!

1 Like

Not sure of the value but yes it’s a legit error, I’ve seen it on a few Jungle holos.

3 Likes

@qwachansey, will acetone not create this effect?

I think it’s legitimate but pretty rare. It’s mentioned in the WOTC error master list as well:
www.elitefourum.com/t/masters-guide-for-pokemon-wotc-corrected-errors-test-cards/29328/1

1 Like

I think acetone just removes the ink. Not the holo layer.

1 Like

Wouldn’t this be the other way around? That the holo remains and only the ink disappears?

@qwachansey,@muk,

thank you guys

I think I remember seeing a card on @acebren 's eBay with a similar error - my mind might be playing tricks on me and I can’t remember his store name!

1 Like

Yep I had and sold an identical one, to a buyer who already owned one.

Hey do you have a link to that one or pics that I can pass on to my buddy? Thanks!

4 Likes

Wow! That’s very cool, never saw it on a Snorlax!

1 Like

This cannot be reproduced with acetone - it would wipe away the ink and you wouldn’t be able to see the background. If I had to guess this is actually an additive error, not a subtractive one. A solid white layer is printed between the holo and coloured ink to block out the holo from showing through. If this layer is not opaque enough, you end up with the holo bleeding effect. Potentially this error can be caused by a problem in the actual holo cardstock, but if I had to bet I’d say it’s additional white ink being put down where it doesn’t belong and it blocks the holo from showing through, giving it a non-holo effect. A similar effect is seen in the evolution box corner of Fossil Zapdos, however that one is a design error and this one appears to be more of a printer hiccup.

3 Likes