Dark Espeon Error

Hello everyone,

I seen this card on ebay and I’ve been suspicious about it. I am unsure if its an authentic error or if someone just scratched off the pink/purple color on Espeon just to show the holo underneath it. Has anyone genuinely seen an error card like this before?

1 Like

cant you just use acetone and make that pattern

3 Likes

Judging by the condition of the card, I am going to say not a chance its an “error”.

1 Like

This is 99.98% a situation where acetone was used to wipe away the ink. Don’t waste your money.

2 Likes

It’s not a genuine error. The “no/missing/blank hitmonchan hitmonchan” cards (and the like) have been popping up for years and are one of the more popular of the fake errors. Glad you posted about it before bidding :blush:

1 Like

Wow I didnt know about that, thanks for telling me :blush:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help :blush:

The giveaway that it’s fake is in the knowledge of how offset printing works. In offset printing, layers of a single colour are applied to the card as tiny dots. There’s typically of 4 separate ink layers used (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) to make all the visible colours. Each layer is applied to the entire card all at once.

So during printing, the colours of the background and the Espeon are added simultaneously as 4 or more layers. If something was obscuring the cardstock during the application of the ink, you’d expect to see some effect like you see on that card. But it’s extremely rare to have that happen and virtually impossible for the stray piece of material to be in the same shape as the Espeon and perfectly positioned on the card (not even to mention you would need holes on the material where the eyes would still be applied to the cardstock).
The other option is that the ink for the Espeon is printed on separately from the rest of the card. It absolutely makes no sense to do this though since it would require 3+ extra layers of ink and a bigger offset printer and there’s no benefit to printing the card this way. You’d also generally have errors with the positioning of the pokemon on the card if the printing was done this way (similar to the foil layer offset seen on many Neo Destiny Shining cards).

BUT if Espeon was printed separately from the rest of the card (it wasn’t) and all three of those extra Espeon layers were out of ink simultaneously, you would probably see an effect like this.
Yeah let me raise that probability from 99.98 to 99.99998% for acetone as the explanation.