Pokemon where you love only some of its full evolution line

What are some Pokemon lines where you only love one or two of its evolutions, not the entire line? My offering:

I love Lotad but really dont care for its other evolutions. Lotad is so derpy and awesome that the later lines just cant replicate. I am also not a huge fan of Charmeleon either!

Thoughts?

9 Likes

Cyndaquil and Quilava look cooler than Typhlosion. It’s really sad to say, because Cyndaquil was my first starter in my first Pokemon game ever, Crystal.

More on Johto, Totodile and Feraligatr are great while Croconaw is lame, but Bayleaf is the peak in Meganium line.

Fight me.

7 Likes

all starters get so much worse after the basic

dnite is a massive downgrade from dnair as well

honestly too many to name

Litten.

Do we really need a explanation? It’s last evolution makes me want to grab a spraybottle and just pssh pssht spray spray “BAD KITTY” PSSH PSSSHTTT “back ON FOUR FEET YOU BIPEDAL FRE-”

10 Likes

Hate these:

imageimageimage

Love these:

imageimageimage

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

This one hurts. They butchered the final evolution so badly

I think it’s fair to say Kanto starters get better throughout evolution lines. If anything, stage 1 evolutions are usually the weak link in a 3-mon line. Consider Tyranitar too, Larvitar is great, Pupitar is umm what, then Tyranitar is great again. I think in general basic pokemon are a lot more often “cute,” and a stage 2 can be “cool,” but the stage 1 middle evolution gets left in kind of strange middle ground not really fitting either aesthetic.

In the TCG, sure. I think Fossil Dragonite and Team Rocket + EX Team Rocket Returns Dark Dragonite are really the only good Dragonite cards, while Dragonair has tons of great artworks. In the games though, Dragonite is a lot better and Dragonair is nothing to write home about.

1 Like

hard disagree (edit: i will say, they fall off less than many of the other gens).

one exception i’d accept is serperior, but snivy is still so much better imo

i’m talking specifically design wise. any mon can get a nice card art or a bad card art depending on direction, artist, etc. strictly design wise, i like nair much more than nite

1 Like

They went from one of the most elegant pokemon to one of the goofiest:

Even this one’s wings are too small and body too fat, but at least it retains a little elegance.

10 Likes

Isn’t there an interview or quote from Sugimori where he said that in the beginning, they would intentionally change any pokemon that looked “too good” to look more “dumb” or somehow mess it up on purpose to not look too serious.

Kind of a shame in some cases. It does seem the fat body + tiny head was often chosen. See Lugia as well.

:angry:

The amount of Dragonite hate in this thread is criminal

17 Likes

Rowlet :heart:

Here are some that come to mind. And through compiling this list, I found that there are some evolution lines where I dislike all of them equally. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

For me its gotta be the Larvitar to Tyranitar line. That middle evolution is just :poop: to me.

1 Like

I used to have stronger opinions on Pokemon design but then when you look at the art coming out in the TCG, it doesn’t really seem to matter.

Great artists can make dumb designs look great and OTOH some artist styles make every Pokemon look terrible.

Love me these guys and couldn’t care less for their other evolutions:

imageimageimage

2 Likes

Happiny who?

4 Likes

You wild man. No love for Gengar? Or Aggron, cmon now. Aron’s entire line is pretty good imo.

2 Likes