Pokemon that peaked with their rookie card

Glaceon has had 3 alt arts that are all great but I think they lack the majesty of this card.

7 Likes

Personally I’d say you can just pick. I picked T17 in genesis

Cranidos has stiff competition from the Hataya but with Galvantula there is zero contest.

1 Like

How could I forget this one. I do like the crystal ho oh but this is probably more iconic

1 Like

early ex is like if expedition - skyridge had rookie cards. It would be no contest. Same art style mostly like the feraligatr and blastoise are easily better than the base and genesis ones

2 Likes

A lot of them, no doubt. As much as I love the Neo Tyranitars they don’t hold up to the Kimura and the Masago. And Kusajima especially. Muk, Steelix, Onix, Tentacruel, Tentacool etc. Vastly superior to their Gen 1/Neo counterparts.

1 Like

Great topic. I think Flareon falls into this category. There are a lot of great contenders but nothing beats it’s rookie card

16 Likes

I was honestly not thinking about the money on it. I just think it looks the best. Which ones do you like better? Dark typhlosion is pretty good but I’m not a fan of the ex sandstorm or unseen ones. Maybe hgss but idk

Forgive the pun, but I think this is a hot take. :fire: :eyes:

10 Likes

16 Likes

Flareon is one of my favorite eeveelutions, I’d put it as a toss up on these

3 Likes

Nishida’s Espeon and Kusube’s Houndour from Neo Discovery imo (would’ve said Neo Revelation Ho-oh but was beaten on that).

Espeon is pure dreamlike elegance and Houndour is just picture perfect with the moonlight and foliage.

10 Likes

Flareon has a ton of great cards, but nothing hits like the original

1 Like

8 Likes

Not even a contest…

4 Likes

Espeon ex is the biggest competition to the original. The art is so mesmerizing you’d swear it was hand-drawn. Would not fault anyone for picking this as their favorite Espeon art.

Espeon Vmax is cute but it’s just another sleeping Pokemon and another oversized Pokemon in a sea of many. Hardly a standout imo

1 Like

Unseen Forces is actually my favorite Typhlosion artwork. The art style is way more like I imagine Typhlosion to look like, and the pose and setting is much more action-oriented:

After that I’d go for the one from Lost Thunder, again for the crispier art style and the cool setting (middle of an attack):

Then I’d go for the Sun&Moon promo, because it looks like it’s about to unleash a devastating attack, and its expression is fierce:

Then I’d probably choose the original Sugimori artwork version from Neo Genesis, and If I really wanted to go for a more artistic card, I’d choose the Dragon Frontiers variant over T17:

After those, I still prefer Dark Typhlosion and Black Star promo 034 over T17. The only ones I like even less than T17 are the 3DCG art versions that are released every now and then, and the primes.

2 Likes

100% agree with the Espeon rookie card. Strong contender for being among the top 10 most beautiful cards in the entire TCG.