Best pokemon rookie card(s)

in your opinion, what pokemon has (at least one of) the best rookie card(s)? i know there can be no real winner because it is subjective, but it’ll be fun to see. bonus points if it isn’t umbreon or espeon

my submission:
Absol (Ruler of the Heavens/EX Dragon)*

I feel like this captures everything I love about this pokemon’s design while also being extremely aesthetic compositionally.

*It is possible the Forina’s Absol promo came out sooner. both were released in June 2003, but I cannot find an exact date of when the promo was available. Also, this would have been the first appearance in english, so I think it still stands.

I have some more I could mention, but I’ll give others a chance to share :slight_smile:

22 Likes

There is no greater rookie

34 Likes

38 Likes

CHARIZORD

1 Like

Did some one say charizard? :eyes::fire:

13 Likes

best card from base set. definitely one of the best first appearances in the tcg

YARN | It is perfect in every way. | Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) Family | Video clips by quotes | 3f84808e | 紗

20 Likes

17 Likes

truly one of the greatest

1 Like

I’m going to put mine

IMG_1682

9 Likes

i’m still waiting on someone to share a certain pair of pokemon who debuted in a movie promotional deck…

in the meantime, i’ll share a later movie promo deck from 2005… once again, this one is a bit fuzzy bc there was a promotion cycle the same year for lucario’s movie, but i’m fairly certain this it’s first card. not as much of a personal favorite as absol, but gotta admit, this is just about as perfect of an intro to lucario’s “vibe” imaginable.

lucario wasn’t the only gen 4 mon to receive a gen 3 card. there were others from this deck alone including munchlax, bonsly, mime jr, and weavile. Manaphy and i believe a few others also received gen 3 cards in the manaphy movie promo deck.

I hope we will one day get these sorts of movie promos. I’d like to believe the reason the Koko movie promo’s were so lackluster is because it was during covid and they couldn’t do as much as they’d like. /copium

6 Likes

12 Likes

Lol this is a bit unfair for gen 3.

Imagine you get your rookie sets in the eseries gen of artwork (months apart from the legends like aquapolis and skyridge), and then on top of that you have the most stacked dex of all time, with all the best artists fully in their groove…

Come on other gens step it up

4 Likes

freal

I’d say Espeon would be a great debate. The first card is still the best art in my opinion:

Celebi also had a spectacular rookie card:

As well as Lunatone:

Or maybe I just have a thing for Psychics…

And do sub-categories count?

Rookie Shiny Pokemon - Gyarados:

21 Likes

8 Likes

Sandstorm has several really strong rookie cards including the lunatone you linked of course

20 Likes

I can’t pick just one. But I have to say Neo Revelation has some of the best rookie cards. Between Ho-Oh, the Beasts and Celebi it’s a very stacked set for rookie cards.

1 Like

i didn’t have gimmicks in mind, but as the first shiny, definitely one of the best debuts in the tcg

yeah imo espeon and umbreon might be top 5 if we had a poll. they’re basically free spaces as far as i’m considered lol

1 Like

yeah so many great arita, himeno, kusajima, and harada arts to choose from