Pokemon Tazos in the US?

Pokemon tazos were released since 1999 all over the world under many different brand names all owned by pepsi. Countries all over Europe, Latin America, South East Asia and even Israel, India and South Africa had pokemon tazos between 1999 and 2001. But despite being so popular around the globe, I have never seen tazos from the US and I find that very weird. How could Pepsi not have released tazos in their own home country with a huge target audience?? American people reading this post, could you let me know if pokemon tazos were ever released in the US!?!?
This question comes after finding an image of an english tazo I had never seen before (only english tazos I knew were from South Africa as “Simba” and from the UK as “Walkers”):

6 Likes

I have never heard of this in my life

‐ :canada:

1 Like

Pokémon Tazos were available in many countries worldwide, including Australia, several Latin American countries, Brazil, France, the Netherlands, a few countries in the Middle East, including Turkey and Israel, and in certain Asian countries, including South Korea and Indonesia.

I’m guessing the Australian Tazos is the English one you see?

Could be. But im trying to find an image and only tazos I can see from Australia are the mini square 3d action pokemon colosseum ones

We had Tazos in Australia but I don’t specifically remember Pokemon themed ones. The doesn’t mean there weren’t any but I still have all my Pokemon stuff from childhood including those actions 3D ones mentioned and I have no Pokemon Tazos.

1 Like

To my knowledge, no

1 Like

I have only seen Tazos outside of the US. You would think with Pogs being around the same time Pokemon started that Tazos would appear. Alas I have never seen that being the case.

1 Like

Tazos were huge in Western Australia, my dad had binders of them

1 Like

Tazos were also super popular in India. I think the Pokemon ones were available with Cheetos, but we had Tazos for almost every IP imaginable. We used to make stacks and then use two of them to break the stack. They were the most exchanged stuff between kids everywhere.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Is there any full list of countries + collections with Tazos? Tazos, despite I already have a lot of different ones, is the last type of item that I will collect for the museum, along with comics, because of the neverending collections

The round ones?!?!?

List of pepsi tazos from the top of my head:
-Spain/Portugal/greece
-South Africa
-England
-Netherlands
-Poland
-Hungary
-Turkey
-Baltic countries
-Israel
-Morocco (and maybe other arab speaking countries)
-Most of latin America
-France? (Dont know about this one)
-India
-Indonesia/Thailand/Malaysia/Philippines
-Australia
-Korea? (Dont know about this one)

(Pero bueno cuando te pongas a buscar tazos de metapod dame un toque y te digo paginas y info q te ayuden)

5 Likes

People would be surprised as to how many niche unknown pokemon stuff was released in India appart from funskool. Unluckily for me there was no mewtwo round tazo release in India I believe, but I do have the other Indian cheetos Mewtwos:

5 Likes

We had them in the UK and I had a full set until selling them last year. Round, hologram style (not the ones with the slots cut into the sides). You’d move them about and get a few different poses for the Pokemon and different evolution stages on later ones.

Here they came as free inserts in packs of Walkers Crisps (Walkers part of the PepsiCo umbrella) and we had 2 series’. Think the first was around 20-25 and a second set came out with another 10-15. They were around the time when Gen 2 was relatively new.

When I sold mine I researched them on ebay to get a price and saw lots of different ones from US sellers that we definitely didn’t have here in the UK. One of the pics in the OP has a Tazos 2 logo which is new to me.

1 Like

Mil gracias, thank you so much!!

1 Like

Mexico had them in sabritas like cheetos and doritos. Weird that US did not have them

Guatemala has Tazos. They had WWE ones right before the pandemic restrictions hit. I still have a bunch of them. We were in Guatemala right before the borders closed.

1 Like

Growing up in Mexico, we collected Tazos more than cards! I remember hitting up every store (we had about 8 in our town), buying Sabritas chips just to get the Tazos.

2 Likes

definitely remember having to negotiate with my parents to get the more expensive chips because of tazos

:mexico:

1 Like