Arabic Pokemon

Hello,

I thought I would share this as no google search returns anything about these.
I managed to dig these up when visiting my family over Christmas, I got these back in 2000 when I was living in Bahrain, these are officially licensed by Nintendo.

22 Likes

Oh damn, another big goal if grimer or muk happens to exist in the set :grin:

2 Likes

That’s really cool, I’ve never seen these before. Thank you for sharing. :blush:

I did a quick search on eBay and found 1 listing which has what they’re calling “THE WHOLE ORIGINAL FULL SET OF 51 ORIGINAL POKEMON CHARACTERS”:

These all appear to be basic Pokémon (no evolutions), but there is a Grimer in there for you @joponnes . This particular seller is listing these for $2,500 which is very extreme: www.ebay.com/itm/252477019744.

3 Likes

This is cool to see, i looked on ebay last week but did not see this listing.

I spoke with some friends today, nobody from the UAE, Saudi or Kuwait had seen these as they were released around the time that Pokemon was banned in the region, I have one friend from Oman who remembers these.

So right now I assume these were released only in Bahrain, Oman and Egypt.

1 Like

Drowzee appears to be the only one written in English from that picture, i wonder if it’s legitimately part of the set or just the seller chucking an English one in to call it ‘complete’.

1 Like

2500$ has around 2-3 too many zeroes in it to buy, don’t think i need it that badly :grin:

1 Like

My girlfriend from Jordan seems to remember these as well, so you can add another country to the list :grin:

Also fun fact: while everyone’s names are written to read as the english names, Gastly’s reads “Justly”.

I remember these here in Portugal, I think I still have some laying around somewhere

@lavendergengar Well if you find them and find a grimer included you know you have a potential buyer :wink:

I have been asking and lobbying for Pokémon to release Arabic cards for years. This is the first time I’ve ever seen anything Arabic on Pokémon. Very cool!

I will keep that in mind, but Portuguese ones are equal to the english and so on

1 Like

I live in the Middle East and can provide some info on these

I remember these perfectly. They were called ‘Tazos’ and there was only one in a pack of Lay’s chips. There was one for each 'mon at the time (except Mew) and they all had stats that were listed on the back of the Tazo. The strongest one being the Ash tazo that had “Beats all” as the description on the back

I had all of them and will see if I can find them in my boxes of old Pokemon goodies!

They stopped making them and stopped having anything related to the TCG once Pokemon got banned here in Saudi Arabia :sob:

2 Likes

Peculiar that it was banned in Saudi Arabia, but yet I don’t see any other middle eastern countries vouching for it or at least advertising they want it by selling it. I remember growing up here in the states, we would visit Madaba, Jordan every summer. And they would play Pokémon dubbed in Arabic on a network station called, Space Toon. Man how times have changed.

How much are these arabic Pokémon pigs really worth? Is anybody really interested to buy this complete set? I do know they are very rare to find.

Seller still have them for sale for $2000