Pokemon Southern Islands 2

As many of you know, Southern Islands is one of my favorite sets! It was the first thing I bought online getting back into pokemon. One of my dreams is Southern Island 2. The idea is the other pokemon in the background would have their own cards. Here are some moc ups I did for each region. Maybe if this gets picked up by google, a pokemon employee might stumble upon the thread and make it a reality! :pray:

Flowers

IMG_0596
IMG_0580
IMG_0597

Riverside

IMG_0581
IMG_0594
IMG_0595

Sky

IMG_0582
IMG_0593
IMG_0592

Jungle

IMG_0584
IMG_0588
IMG_0589

Beach

IMG_0583
IMG_0590
IMG_0615

Sea

IMG_0585
IMG_0586
IMG_0587

73 Likes

The biggest travesty in the tcg is Fukuyama not making any more cards after skyridge. I would’ve loved that pikachu as a card so much :sob:

15 Likes

Honestly that might be why I’ve obsessed with a Southern Island 2. Fukuyama’s art is pure magic, but too scarce. 20 Cards was not enough!

12 Likes

Peak nostalgia.

It makes me think of Pikachu’s Vacation

5 Likes

Perhaps a Sow Sow Southern Island 2 set! That would be magic in my eyes!

13 Likes

Hmmmm… if only Kalos had a setting that is fitting for such a theme…

dear pokemon employee: Slowpoke, Exeggcute, and Lapras (amongst newer mons) can be caught at Azure bay :wink:

1 Like

Southern Islands is still my favorite binder pages to look through. Great artwork with an awesome set cohesion, can’t beat it!

3 Likes

Southern Islands is one of my favorite sets. Imagine a specialty set with 18 cards for each region in the Southern Islands theme/artistic style. It would eclipse 151 as the best modern release by manyfold. :heart_eyes_cat:

10 Likes

Did you recently learn how to crop and this is your big flex? :smile:

29 Likes

After the release of S&V 151, I’m really hoping they do a similar set for Gen 2. Even the idea of like Southern Island style art cards or something along those lines would be amazing.

5 Likes

Southern Islands is such a beautiful set. I’ll have to pick it up some day (after having flipped one around 2021 :sweat_smile:). This would be such a great follow-up though. Fukuyama’s art is just pure and adorable!

3 Likes

Full process: Downloaded 3 of each postcard to my phone, cropped each pokemon, then spent way too much time centering each one while including background pokemon. :melting_face:

16 Likes

I love this set so much too Scott, I’d love to make my own sort of Southern Islands pieces at some point digitally. Maybe could be an e4 art contest prompt?

5 Likes

Don’t forget Kimura was the other half of the set! THE GOAT!! :goat:

4 Likes

I need this as a card :star_struck:

I have to say also, I saw this thread and I thought it meant there was a Southern Islands 2 being released and I almost flipped in excitement. Perhaps one day :melting_face:

7 Likes

I too saw the thread title and my eyes bulged. :eyes:

I love this set. I am very fortunate to have the full binder and postcard collection from being a kid, and it is one of my prized possessions.

That slowbro testing the water, and Poliwhirl shading himself would be PEAK art as cards. They could give us full art Southern Islands now!

3 Likes

IMG_0596
IMG_0580
IMG_0597
IMG_0581
IMG_0589
IMG_0583

Damn, I wish they were real. These look particularly marvelous and totally legit, my absolute favorites

17 Likes

Damn, I need these to be cards, even if they are produced outside of the TCG series! Southern Islands will always be my favourite set, for it was also what brought me back to collecting, and funnily enough, it was a video of yours, @smpratte, where you highlighted the cards and their art.

3 Likes

These really look so incredible. Also the Meowth can be the 2024 World’s mascot in Hawaii. It embodies the right spirit.

Cheers!

5 Likes

I remember I would pour over the art work of this set. I’d only played the graphically limited (although charming in their own context) games, and never paid much attention to the art work of the cards beyond the shiny backgrounds. They really informed how I imagine the world of Pokemon.

If there was ever another version I hope they retain the vibrant colour palette and playful style of the originals!

4 Likes