Southern Island Set Question

First Post :blush: Recently, I found a southern island mew in english sitting at a local game store. I think I may pick it up today but before I do, I wanted to know if people had any information about the set and the rarity of the set. Is there a difference in the rarity in the Japanese vs the English version? I haven’t looked that far into the history of the souther island sets in general so I wanted to know if there is anything interesting to note about this set as well.

@executive , Thanks for the informative reply!

Here’s an update on the situation. I managed to pick it up from the store. The back is flawless and so is centering. There’s a little silvering at the top in the front and one or two light scratches on the holo foil. Overall though, it’s in pretty good condition NM and a pretty good deal too.

7 Likes

Congratulations! Great find

2 Likes

Set is stupid hard to grade. I opened a sealed deck and every holo would not grade higher than 7-8. Even the non - holos had really shitty corners. However, the set is beautiful. Highly recommend getting a set while it is cheap. Mint english is very hard to find.

4 Likes

Southern Islands mew is one of my favorite cards of all time. The art and the reverse holo are on point. Although I do prefer the Japanese version

Generally speaking, I don’t care if my cards are Japanese or English, the artworks are the same and it helps that I’m part Japanese and can read the Japanese cards. However, with the Southern Islands mew, I’ve been looking into this set a little bit on my own and from what I can see, in the English version, the image is a little more Zoomed out and you can see the Charizard’s face in the background, which you can’t see in the Japanese version.

Thanks!. I’ll look into those videos. I like the simplicity of his videos, nothing too bombastic but still showcases some amazing cards from what I can tell.

I’m not sure what I want to do in regards to collecting this set. I just got back into collecting recently. I stopped collecting about 7 years ago and back then, my collection goal was to get a psa 10 1st edition shadowless set. I have 5 non-holos and I’m pretty much priced out of this goal since I got back into it. I’m still trying to figure out my collection goals right now and I’m picking up cards that have really cool artwork or story to them while I try to figure out what I would be most satisfied in owning.

I’m in love with this set, tried to pick a sealed binder for a long time but seeing the price I opted for a graded mew, IMO not only Southern Islands mew is the best card in that set, but it’s also the second prettiest Mew in the TCG,after the corocoro mew

1 Like

I just prefer the type of holo used on the japanese versions. I can’t read japanese lol. Good point on the zoomed out image to see charizard’s face though.