Pokemon silver save file corrupted

I have a gold version that the save battery is dead and it simply just doesn’t show the “continue” option when you restart the game. My silver version however, gives me the option to continue but when I choose continue it says “the save file is corrupted” with each save attempt. Is this a dead battery as well or something else? I wouldn’t be too worried about it since these games are still readily available for under $20 but my parents bought me this exact copy, new from walmart when it released almost 18 years ago so this holds my earliest Pokemon memories and I’d like to have it fully operational again. Thanks for any help!

It is just a dead battery. If you replace the battery it will reset the entire cartridge and you can start a new game.

Unfortunately I do not think there is anyway of retaining your original save file.

I knew I wouldn’t be able to save the old data, I’ve restarted that game more than 20 times over the years anyways lol I was just worried about it being a non fixable issue. Thank you for the info!

Haha oh okay. In that case you have nothing to worry about.

Changing the battery is a very cheap, and simple fix that you are able to perform yourself with a little help from the internet.

Best of luck with Catchin’ Em All!

1 Like