The magical nostalgia of Gen 2

So like most other people, my introduction to Pokemon was Red and Blue, and those games will forever hold a special place in my heart and have also retained replay value for me, but for some reason, nothing hits my nostalgia bone like Gen 2 (shoutout @dizzle24).

Over the years since the Gen 2 games (Gold, Silver, Crystal) came out, I have played through them numerous times, but as all Gen 2 lovers know, the save batteries ultimately burn out on those cartridges due to the internal clock. I remember picking up a copy of Crystal in 2016 (I had only played Gold and Silver up until that point). I played through it a couple of times and loved every second of it. I then did another playthrough last year, and surprisingly, the battery was still okay. But after nearly completing my Pokedex, the save battery finally went.

Fast forward to this year, and I was craving some Gen 2 again, so I decided to go online and see how to replace a save battery. I remember doing it with Gold years ago, but I also remember nearly breaking the cartridge in the process, so I wanted to find a cleaner way to do it with soldering rather than prying the battery out and putting a new one in. But then I discovered that the Gen 2 games were available for the 3DS. Luckily, I have two 3DS consoles, so I knew I would be able to trade back and forth to get trade evolutions like Scizor, Steelix, etc.

I felt like a little kid inside knowing that I would never, ever again lose my save file to a failed battery.

Well, I have been playing through Crystal, and the childhood memories of 10-year-old me have once again come flooding back. The vibrant colors, the awesome music, the fantastic (and criminally underrated) Gen 2 Pokemon designs. Sure, the games have a TON of problems (like with new Pokemon such as Houndour, Misdreavus, Murkrow, Larvitar, etc. not even being accessible until AFTER you beat the Elite Four), but that doesn’t change how incredible Gen 2 makes me feel.

There is just something about hearing this theme kick in once you get out of Ilex Forest and head to Goldenrod City:

I don’t know what it is about these games. Maybe it’s the fact that both Johto and Kanto are jammed into the same cartridge. Maybe it was the memories of hearing about Pikablu and seeing Snubbull and Donphan for the first time in the anime and the movie before Gold and Silver even came out. Whatever it is, Gen 2 just does it for me.

Just felt like sharing :blush:

44 Likes

I would HIGHLY suggest playing the rom hack, Pokemon Crystal Clear. It’s Crystal version, but literally open world. Everything in the game is the same, but you can do gyms in whatever order you want and they scale with you. You can start off from any town in Kanto or Jhoto and has an awesome series of little side stories. I bought a physical cart to play on orginal hardware, but I think you can download and play the rom for free on a GBA emulator. As a Gen 2 lover myself, I was blown away by Crystal Clear. I’m sure @brendantheclayboy would agree, as he’s the friend that recommended it to me. Can’t overstate how awesome it is!

11 Likes

I’ve yet to play this one! I did play the rom hack Pokemon Prism, though. Not sure if you’re familiar with that one?

Never played it myself, but have watched gameplay. Looked cool! But I’m tellin you, Crystal Clear is a nostalgia trip you didn’t realize you needed.

1 Like

I love Gen 2 more than even Gen 1! It is super nostalgic. My two favourite Pokemon are from Gen 2. Scizor and Lugia. But it had so many other good ones too. Umbreon, Espeon, Steelix, Heracross, Tyranitar.

I do a Nuzlocke HGSS run about once every six months. It’s so good. I play it on my phone using an emulator, so it’s with me everywhere.

Gen2BestGen

3 Likes

I will always be the most nostalgic for Gen 1, but Gen 2 was the best game, especially HGSS. I never played them until a few years ago, and it blew my mind when you returned to kanto! Everyone was stronger, and the fight with red was intense (still haven’t beat it). Plus the addition of shining pokemon, baby pokemon, latter evolutions was brilliant. I think it was the best addition to a previous generation. Not only did it add a new generation of pokemon, but it made the entire Pokemon world more robust and interesting. Where newer generations today feel at times like another brick in the wall.

18 Likes

OMG, I had forgotten that tune from Gold/Silver.

Thank you for reminding me. And I vaguely remember when Gold/Silver first came out, so so so excited.

Gen2 favourite for ever!

5 Likes

Nothing will compare to me playing Silver for the first time, finally get that SS Ticket and walking up into Vermillion City. For some reason I hadn’t expected to actually go back to Kanto. And then once I was there I thought for sure it was only like one city. But as I kept exploring I kept finding familiar paths and towns. It was so amazing; my child mind was blown.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tag, and thrilled you love it, @kromaticlanturn ! It is so cool that this romhack I came to find and enjoy could be spread on E4. Incredible stuff, very fulfilling to have that sort of post game feel to a masterpiece of a game that is Crystal. Johto, Johto. Ahh. The relaxed, somber, and almost poignant atmosphere they created. Kanto being the bustling city to the Johto being the lush countryside. The perfect balance to each other, the ultimate sequel, like godfather part one to two.
I’ve said it before, but love sharing. This is for you, Cerulean. I still play with my friend, have a roster of 75 lvl 100’s, and we play competitively. Yes, with ye 'old fashioned hardwire cables :grin:

Got a few shinies in there. I would never have gotten Lugia if it weren’t for Crystal Clear :grin:

16 Likes

My LORD that’s a good post

4 Likes

@brendantheclayboy *elite* nicknames

3 Likes

@mjs61290 , Interesting to see you make this post and letting me know I’m not alone.

Gen 2 has this weird magic mojo to it, always have. I’ve tried putting my finger on it before but without luck. All in all I think I feel equally strongly about all 3 first gens, but in different ways. Whereas Gen 1 and gen 3 feels like home with a very distinct familiarity to them, gen 2 has a more…dreamy aspect to it? Difficult to explain, but it’s definitely there.

3 Likes

While I do have to say, gen 1’s music hits a little stronger than Gen 2… Red was my first Game Boy game. I remember being frustrated because I did not understand what I was even looking at: Are those bookshelves?! Why can’t I leave this room? What’s an HM Cut?!
Still, it was my first introduction to programming and my career field, computer sciences, via cheat codes (once I got bored).

When I got Silver, and played it on my Game Boy Pocket! Hell, yes, still one of the best Game Boy iterations to be released. Then I got a GBC for XMas and Damn! There were colors now?! WHAT?! And the time of day matched when I was playing? Staying up late in my room with a worm light so I could see the nocturnal PkMn. SO many practical things about Gold and Silver, as well as the music and heavily stylized environment that most other generations have lacked. Gen 2 takes the cake for bringing the most excitement and feels, even now.

2 Likes

Was not expecting this kind of a tag today but man, what a great read and I appreciate the shoutout! Haha

As everyone knows, I feel the exact same way with gen 2 and i relive it daily through all the items in my collection. Something about that time period truly was magical and to this day, ive never seen a similar jump into a new era of Pokemon ever again. Maybe it was there and others felt that same magic at another time, but for me ill always hold Johto as my home in what I love most in Pokemon.

As for the game experience, I had those same feelings arise about 3-4 years ago, and funny enough playing that was a short prelude for me as it was before i decided to collect again. Booting up my Crystal version was a blast from the past, and going through the motions while enjoying all that nostalgia just brought back such great feelings. And for me, my fav music moment will always be goldenrods theme, and then the rocket music on the radio when they take over the tower :blush:. Ill never forget that moment in finding out rocket was “back”, and i felt like such a boss running through that part and clearing the tower so I could go back to listening to Buenas Password to try and win points and prizes lol. Ugh, such good memories for sure.

But of course, i can go on for hours about this of course but ultimately im so glad to see others enjoy this on such a deep level like myself. That kind of connection and passion is what beings us all closer as collectors and fans, and its what i live for most in this community. :blush:

5 Likes

I second this! One of the most polished rom hacks out there. Adds just the right amount of difficulty, opens up the whole map, and just generally a fun time! Plus you can catch the full 251 Pokédex on one game!

I will warn you, i don’t think you can play through gold, silver, or crystal after playing this. The amount of quality of life changes really make it hard to go back.

1 Like

Gen 2 is where a lot of my personal nostalgia is rooted because it’s when Pokémon felt the most magical and limitless.

It made the world of Pokémon feel so much grander, older, broader. I had never even imagined what more Pokémon might look like. I knew there were 151 Pokémon and everything else was fake. So when kids started talking about seeing “100 new Pokémon on the internet” I did not believe them. I knew it was not possible. There were only 151 Pokémon and the only Pokémon games were Red, Blue, and Yellow. The astonishment of discovering there was another Pokémon game out there, with more Pokémon, was the first truly mindblowing experience of my childhood.

Pokémon is still good and I still like it, but I’ve never felt that way again and probably won’t. But I love stuff from this era because it feels like Pokémon’s most magical peak.

5 Likes

I vividly remember getting Pokemon Gold for Christmas and my sister got Silver. It was really exciting to play mainly because of so much added content and graphical upgrade over Red/Blue. Just being able to finally see and catch a lot of Pokemon that were in the anime but not in Red/Blue was really cool as well since up until then they were relatively mysterious to most of us. Being able to travel back to the Kanto region later on was also great and made the game feel really big to me at the time. Overall, they were a really good sequel/upgrade to Red/Blue in so many ways.

3 Likes

Christmas morning in the year 2000 I received my first Gameboy Color and Gold Version. I was already obsessed with the TV show and the trading cards but being able to have my own virtual adventure in the world of Pokémon for the first time made it real for six year old me. The experience of bringing my gameboy to school after winter break and nearly every other kid in my class ALSO bringing their games was unreal to me. Trading, teaching eachother things about the game, hearing about Mt.Silver and Red for the first time. The nostalgia is truly unbelievable. You’re right, it’s complete magic :blush:

2 Likes

For sure, and I don’t know what it is either. I have played through every generation multiple times, and none of them really tug at my heartstrings like Gen 2. It’s funny, because Gen 1 has literally every reason to be my most nostalgic game to play, but the feeling when I play through Gen 1 is not the same as when I play through Gen 2.

I think it could be because of the fact that Gen 2 has the surprise return to Kanto. I mean, who could forget this “I’m home” feeling once you get to Vermilion City and hear this?

The Kanto music in the Gen 2 games was intentionally made to feel nostalgic.

But I’m not even sure that’s the reason why it’s so nostalgic, and it’s funny how none of us can really put our finger on it. Whatever it is, Gen 2 will forever have a special place in my heart.

1 Like

I liked your post before I even read it haha.

Things like finding the legendary birds, mewtwo in the cave, and missingno are super nostalgic for me.

But the legendary dogs, the burned tower, lugia in the cave, sudowoodo being my go to pokemon, and finding suicune in a random bush just hits so much harder for me.

2 Likes