Pokémon Red Version crashing/freezing

Hello!

I have been searching the Internet for a fix for this issue but I can’t seem to find anything. I am hoping someone here might be able to help.

I have a Pokémon Red Gameboy color game that keeps crashing/freezing when a text box pops up. I can start and run the game but once I talk to someone it crashes. Sometimes the music stays but it’s all messed up.

Does this mean the game is dead forever or can it be fixed?

I would really appreciate and help or even a point in the right direction to get it fixed.

Thanks you!

Have you tried using a different game in the Gameboy to see if the problem persists with that game? Do you have another Gameboy you can try playing Red version with? I’ve had some games freeze on me and the problem turned out to be the GBA SP I was using. I just want to make sure the problem is with the game and not the system.

If it is the game, maybe try using a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the pins at the bottom of the cartridge that connect to the system. If you have a way of opening the cartridge you could try cleaning some of the components on the board itself with the same method.

1 Like

So it’s definitely the game. I tried it in another gameboy and it did the same thing. I cleaned the board but I’m still having the same problem.

Here is a picture of the board, Myabe im missing something?

@bash2112 , Nothing about the board is sticking out to me, unfortunately. I’m curious though, have you tried saving the game before talking to anyone and then turning the game off and back on again? I’m asking because I think your battery is the original one that came with the game and after 22 years I would assume it’s dead or very close to it. If that battery is dead you won’t be able to retain your save file even if you fixed the issue you’re having.

[mention]ascendedbidoof [/mention] So, it won’t even let me save it. When the text box for the save pops up it crashes/freezes. I’ve even tried starting a new game but once the first text box pops up it crashes again.

@bash2112, I think your game may be toast. You could try replacing the battery if you have the know-how to see if that helps but I don’t think it will.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you might be right. Rip

Maybe I can take it to a repair shop or something

1 Like

Even though it’s apparently good, the board might have been damaged by temperature or something like that

1 Like